1. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 19:36
    Don't the first few questions are easy, but they get difficult. Post your results.

http://www.chessarea.com/chess-strategy/chess-test/
  2. Joined
    08 Apr '12
    Moves
    03 Jun '15 20:00
    7/15
  3. e4
    Moves
    04 Jun '15 13:29
    Bah!

I thought it was a general knowledge thing. 'A Quiz'

Who was nicknamed the 'Austrian Morphy', that kind of thing. (Morphy's Austrian Uncle!)

It's far too early to do solving puzzle things. Maybe later.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    04 Jun '15 15:01
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Bah!

I thought it was a general knowledge thing. 'A Quiz'

Who was nicknamed the 'Austrian Morphy', that kind of thing. (Morphy's Austrian Uncle!)

It's far too early to do solving puzzle things. Maybe later.
    Steinitz.
  5. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    04 Jun '15 17:01
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem
    Steinitz.
    Close, but it's actually the economist, Robert P. Murphy.
  6. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Jun '15 12:21
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    Close, but it's actually the economist, Robert P. Murphy.
    8/15 That must have been a difficult test for 8 points to be called advanced🙂 I certainly didn't FEEL advanced seeing all the correct answers I missed.
  7. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    05 Jun '15 14:42
    I got the third question wrong. This is the position:

The question is "White to move, who is better?".

I immediately saw 1.Rxg5 hxg5 2. Qh5#, but after a few seconds further thought noticed that White's backrank is very weak, so Black has 2. ... Rd8 threatening 3. ... Qd1+ 4. Qxd1 Rxd1#. 2. ... Rd8 also gives Black's king a flight square on g8, so 3. ... hxg5 is threatened in addition the backranker.

Feeling very pleased with myself I clicked on "Black is better" (because he's a pawn up) only to be told that I was wrong. I chucked the position into an engine and discovered that White is indeed winning after 1. Rxg5. Can anyone see what I missed?
  8. Joined
    11 Oct '04
    Moves
    05 Jun '15 15:122 edits
    Originally posted by vivify
    Don't the first few questions are easy, but they get difficult. Post your results.

http://www.chessarea.com/chess-strategy/chess-test/
    This thing is hopeless. I answered 'I don't know' correctly for all the questions, and scored 0/15. It even had the audacity to tell me my answers were 'Incorrect'.

I will be speaking to my lawyers about this.
  9. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    05 Jun '15 15:49
    [fen]6rk/pp3pp1/3qp2p/2R3n1/1P6/PN6/4QPPP/6K1 w - - 0 1[/fen]

I immediately saw 1.Rxg5 hxg5 2. Qh5#, but after a few seconds further thought noticed that White's backrank is very weak, so Black has 2. ... Rd8 threatening 3. ... Qd1+ 4. Qxd1 Rxd1#. 2 ...[text shortened]... engine and discovered that White is indeed winning after 1. Rxg5. Can anyone see what I missed?
    I actually thought same as you, selected Black thinkin I had dodged a trick 🙁

I got a few of the others wrong too, 9/15
  10. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    05 Jun '15 21:144 edits

I immediately saw 1.Rxg5 hxg5 2. Qh5#, but after a few seconds further thought noticed that White's backrank is very weak, so Black has 2. ... Rd8 threatening 3. ... Qd1+ 4. Qxd1 Rxd1#. 2 ...[text shortened]... engine and discovered that White is indeed winning after 1. Rxg5. Can anyone see what I missed?
    Maybe something easy like g3 so the king has an out? Never mind, I see white just ends up the exchange down. Back to the drawing board so to speak🙂 Btw, you said you missed one. That means you got all but one right? Meanwhile back at the win, I thought for about 1 second going R-e5 would do it but white is in deep doo doo when black goes QxR, so that doesn't help.
  11. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    05 Jun '15 21:402 edits

Good question. Didn't notice that.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    05 Jun '15 22:29

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

13. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    06 Jun '15 00:072 edits

Ok, how about K-f1? It looks like after queen exchange and subsequent check by black rook, king goes to e2 which threatens the rook, perhaps allowing the white rook to escape capture. Going kf1 may allow stuff like qxh2, possible answer, R-h4, attacking queen. Don't know if that is all strong enough to win though.
    It looks like after K-e2 attacking the black rook, if black goes b1 to attack the knight, white has rg3 which protects the knight, leaving white a knight up. Enough to win? Not sure.
  14. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    06 Jun '15 02:10
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Ok, how about K-f1? It looks like after queen exchange and subsequent check by black rook, king goes to e2 which threatens the rook, perhaps allowing the white rook to escape capture. Going kf1 may allow stuff like qxh2, possible answer, R-h4, attacking queen. Don't know if that is all strong enough to win though.
    It looks like after K-e2 attacking the bla ...[text shortened]... ht, white has rg3 which protects the knight, leaving white a knight up. Enough to win? Not sure.
    After Kf1, black can simply take the rook.
  15. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    06 Jun '15 03:442 edits

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree