1. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 22:30
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    You didn't mention Paul Keres.
    ooof you're right. Thats heresy. Certainly he is among those players - and a suspect for the crown of them.

Q
  2. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    14 Jan '12 22:45
    Heh, a can of worms has been openned!
    #
    How about Krotcnoi" & Meking.

I should know how to spell his name, got three of his books for god's sake. None of then at hand.
  3. e4
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 02:33
    The top 7 in this debate are usually:

Tarrasch, Rubinstein, Tartakower, Nimzovitch, Bronstien, Keres and Korchnoi.
  4. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 12:02
    somebody knows, how to access the online live commentary? i thought last year there was some commentary and not only box analysis... has that changed or can i just not find the link?
  5. Joined
    29 Aug '10
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 12:33
    I'm hoping for Giri, Timman and Sadler to win their groups.
  6. Joined
    29 Aug '10
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 12:36
    Originally posted by tharkesh
    somebody knows, how to access the online live commentary? i thought last year there was some commentary and not only box analysis... has that changed or can i just not find the link?
    http://www.tatasteelchess.com/tournament/commentaryschedule

quite how we access it I'm not sure!
  7. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 12:43
    yes, i found that, too. but it only gives names and times of commenters.... thought there was some kind of pgn-view board with some annotated moves...
  8. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 12:52
    Originally posted by tharkesh
    yes, i found that, too. but it only gives names and times of commenters.... thought there was some kind of pgn-view board with some annotated moves...
    http://livechess.chessdom.com/site/
  9. Joined
    22 Oct '10
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 14:36
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

For me it is Paul Keres:
    world no. 2 for 25 years

then Korchnoy and Rubinstein

other players from the past nowhere near these 3.

Carlsen has barely ever won a match so not in the running for me. Ivanchuk has longevity though (and the misfortune to overlap with Kasparov!)
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 15:15

There's something to be said for Schlechter. After all, Lasker only drew his match against him by... well... either it was pure luck or it was the psychological factor. In any case, Schlechter could and should have won that match, in which case Lasker would have had a job on his plate proving that he was, as he was, the greatest champion of all time.

That said, I personally would put Rubinstein top, but perhaps for sentimental reasons. Poor bastard.

Richard
  11. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 15:16
    Originally posted by greenerpawn
    I'm hoping for Giri, Timman and Sadler to win their groups.
    Timman... after all these years... I hope so, too, but I fear our hope is vain.

Richard
  12. e4
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 15:18
    I too am a Keres man. (though a slight nod towards Tarrasch, Rubinstein and Bronstein)
    Bronstein had his chance and I guess we will never know what really happened
    off the board in that 1951 match.
    WWI saw off Rubinstein's chance (AS WWII possibly did the same to Keres.)
    Tarrasch had the great misfortune to be born in the same era as Lasker.

Carlsen may appear in future lists if he gives up the game without returning
    to the FIDE fold regarding WC qualification.

PS: Keres is the only player to appear on a national currency. The Estonian 5K note.
    He also has an Estonian ship named after him. I believe that too is unique.
  13. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 17:03

Harry Pillsbury deserves a mention methinks.
  14. Joined
    22 Oct '10
    Moves
    15 Jan '12 18:36
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    There's something to be said for Schlechter. After all, Lasker only drew his match against him by... well... either it was pure luck or it was the psychological factor. In any case, Schlechter could and should have won that match, in which case Lasker would have had a job on his plate proving that he was, as he was, the greatest champion of all time.
    ...[text shortened]... sonally would put Rubinstein top, but perhaps for sentimental reasons. Poor bastard.

Richard
    mentioning Schlecter, you should then mention his modern day equivalent Leko. Similar for many reasons!
    But neither are the Stirling Moss of chess, that's for certain
  15. on your backrank!
    Moves
    16 Jan '12 19:041 edit
    masters of yesterday like Bronstein, Keres, Korchnoi, Larsen spring to my mind
    Edit: too early to speak of modern masters not yet to become world champion

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree