1. Joined
    16 Apr '08
    Moves
    19 Jan '12 00:281 edit
    Check out the Aronian / Kamsky game. Was 54...Nxb4 a blunder?

http://www.tatasteelchess.com/tournament/livegames

It is a strong field. Aronian and Carlsen are tied at the top. Aronian has 3 wins! Very good tournament.
  2. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    19 Jan '12 00:34
    Originally posted by Jakal
    Check out the Aronian / Kamsky game.

http://www.tatasteelchess.com/tournament/livegames

It is a strong field. Aronian and Carlsen are tied at the top. Aronian has 3 wins! Very good tournament.
    Carlsen has the tie breaker with a win over Aronian.

Q
  3. Jerusalem
    Moves
    19 Jan '12 21:36
    Finally Gelfand won today 😛
  4. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    19 Jan '12 22:042 edits
    This is a prize winner from Class C, but its one of the finest games I've seen through the tournament!

5. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    19 Jan '12 22:041 edit
  6. The Ghost Bishop
    Moves
    19 Jan '12 22:041 edit
    sorry for the multi post... 🙁
  7. Joined
    29 Aug '10
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 11:24
    Both those players could easily grace Group B.
    Sadler is probably the 2nd best amateur in the world.
  8. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 16:09
    Originally posted by PhySiQ
    This is a prize winner from Class C, but its one of the finest games I've seen through the tournament!

[pgn][Event "Tata Steel Chess 2012"] [Site "Wijk aan Zee"] [Date "2012.01.19"] [Round "5"] [White "Adhiban Baskaran"] [Black "Matthew Sadler"] [Result "1/2-1/2"] [ECO "C04"] [Opening "French"] [Time "14:46:02"] [Variation "Tarrasch, Guimard, Main Line"] [ ...[text shortened]... h6 55. exf7 Bd5+ 56. Kg3 Bxf7 57. Kh4 Rg8 58. Rxg8 Kxg8 59. Rxd4 [/pgn]
    That won a prize?

It's a draw.
    There's a lot of back-and-forth manoeuvring.
    There are no flashy sacrifices.
    Worst of all, it's a *gak* French!

Why has Greenpawn not had a fit yet?

😛

Richard
  9. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 16:17
    Originally posted by queenabber
    mentioning Schlecter, you should then mention his modern day equivalent Leko. Similar for many reasons!
    But neither are the Stirling Moss of chess, that's for certain
    Well, yeah... except that Leko drew against Kramnik at a time when the best player in the world (even if not the official world champion) was still Kasparov, while Schlechter drew against Lasker. Leko may be good and Kramnik may be good, but by gum, Kramnik is no Lasker - and Leko is no Schlechter.
    And I agree that neither is the most inspiring of players, which is why, when the chips are down, I'd go for Rubinstein - but I still think that Schlechter, unlike Leko, is underrated.

Richard
  10. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 16:29
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    The top 7 in this debate are usually:

Tarrasch, Rubinstein, Tartakower, Nimzovitch, Bronstien, Keres and Korchnoi.
    Tarrasch, Tartakower and Nimzovitch? No. All of those were far too much wedded to the idea of the "right", the beautiful, their kind of chess to allow winning the match to get in the way of their genius. Particularly Nimzovitch, of course, and also Tarrasch with his jibes against the "Orthodox". That gets you a (well-deserved!) place in the public's heart, and a whole section of your own in the opening manuals, but no world championship crowns.
    As for Tartakower, his weakness wasn't principle so much as the sheer love of the beautiful game, but the end result is the same: you end up a memorable loser rather than a winner.

Richard
  11. on your backrank!
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 18:31
    Aronian won again. he now leads with the score 4½ from 6

YouTube
  12. Joined
    22 Oct '10
    Moves
    20 Jan '12 21:46
    Originally posted by Shallow Blue
    Well, yeah... except that Leko drew against Kramnik at a time when the best player in the world (even if not the official world champion) was still Kasparov, while Schlechter drew against Lasker. Leko may be good and Kramnik may be good, but by gum, Kramnik is no Lasker - and Leko is no Schlechter.
    And I agree that neither is the most inspiring of play ...[text shortened]... d go for Rubinstein - but I still think that Schlechter, unlike Leko, is underrated.

Richard
    No, I think that is unfair. Haven't check the dates but I am pretty sure Lasker-Schlecter was 1910. By that stage it was not clear that Lasker was stronger than Capa or Rubinstein (who's golden year was 1911 if memory serves me right). When Leko drew with Kramnik, he was/or had been 4th in the world. I maintain the comparison is very valid, even down to losing the final game etc. Both L and S were fine, very correct players
  13. Standard memberTimmyBx
    TacticsTime.com
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 02:52
    Here is an interesting and unusual chess tactic from the Tata Steel (Group B) that was played today:

http://tacticstime.com/?p=2651
  14. e4
    Moves
    23 Jan '12 12:50
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    Harry Pillsbury deserves a mention methinks.
    Pillsbury too is up there but it is often forgotten what a great player he was.

Mention must also be made of Zugertort and Chigorin.
    Unlike Keres, Tartakower, Rubinstein, Nimzovitch and Pilsbury both Zugertort
    and Chigorin actually got shots at the World Title and came close to taking it.

Zugertort was leading by 3 clear games at one stage v Steinitz but then went
    into a nose dive losing the next 4 out of 5 games.

Chigorin v Steinitz in 1892 (featuring 7 Evans Gambits W.4 D2 L1 - those olden golden days! )
    Chigorin held the lead by two clear points at one point in the match and in the
    very last game he was a piece up with a won game.
    He then made a terrible and famous blunder allowing himself to be mated in two moves.

Here Chigorin as White played 32.Bb4?? 32...Rxh2+ and mate next move.
    The move 32.Rxb7 is winning but there is a wee trick for Black in there.

15. Standard memberhunterknox
    Hopeless romantic
    The sticks
    Moves
    25 Jan '12 21:41
    OK, who's going to spot the death blow from Aronian's masterpiece vs Giri in round 10?

Black to play...

Unbelievable tekkers.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree