1. London
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 00:151 edit
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I have this book and have gotten into it just a little bit. Another very popular book (and an underground classic) is Shereshevsky's "Endgame Strategy". It's all about strategical thinking in the endgame, and has an abundance of examples of planning in the endgame and converting better positions into wins.
    Thanks, that sounds interesting too. Perhaps a bit less relevant because I think my plans in games 2 & especially 3 were pretty good. (Although in 3 I probably should have rerouted the knight before attempting the breakthrough, or maybe probed the queenside with ...Na4 too at some point.) Or do you play through them and think. "oh dear, just look what he missed . . . "?

EDIT. Btw, let me defend my statement about game 3. I opened up his kingside assuming it would leave him with a weak pawn. And indeed in this position:

26. ... Rg8+ 27. Kf3 fxe3 28. fxe3 Rge8 would have simply won a pawn. But I completely overlooked that, thinking that - as in an earlier possibility I'd previously analysed - I could only win a pawn with the bishop! This is the kind of OTB blindess I suffer from...
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 01:46
    Originally posted by TommyC
    Er . . . I'm after *general* advice about my lack of *endgame* technique - I think maybe you missed the point of my posts. The games are recent examples of this.
    My point was that there wasn't anything you could do in the endgame - you need to look earlier in the game to find an improvement in that game. That game was not an example of poor endgame technique, you just chose a line that let your opponent equalise and he kept it equal.
  3. London
    Moves
    21 Jun '06 09:37
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    My point was that there wasn't anything you could do in the endgame - you need to look earlier in the game to find an improvement in that game. That game was not an example of poor endgame technique, you just chose a line that let your opponent equalise and he kept it equal.
    Which is what I said in my first post. Thanks for trying to help anyway.
  4. Lancaster
    Moves
    22 Jun '06 12:37
    Thanks, that sounds interesting too. Perhaps a bit less relevant because I think my plans in games 2 & especially 3 were pretty good. (Although in 3 I probably should have rerouted the knight before attempting the breakthrough, or maybe probed the queenside with ...Na4 too at some point.) Or do you play through them and think. "oh dear, just look what he miss ...[text shortened]... - I could only win a pawn with the bishop! This is the kind of OTB blindess I suffer from...
    Simpleton question:
    What software do you use to produce the board diagram?

Martin
  5. London
    Moves
    22 Jun '06 12:59
    Originally posted by Tinmart69
    Simpleton question:
    What software do you use to produce the board diagram?

Martin
    At the bottom of the New Post screen there is a link that says "Insert board from FEN". To create a FEN I use WinBoard, but it's not necessary. If you're not sure what a FEN is, wikipedia probably has an article about it. Google WinBoard to download it; there is a "Copy Position to Clipboard" option under the File menu that creates a FEN, anyhow.
  6. Lancaster
    Moves
    22 Jun '06 13:43
    At the bottom of the New Post screen there is a link that says "Insert board from FEN". To create a FEN I use WinBoard, but it's not necessary. If you're not sure what a FEN is, wikipedia probably has an article about it. Google WinBoard to download it; there is a "Copy Position to Clipboard" option under the File menu that creates a FEN, anyhow.
    Thanks, from the cellar area of RHP

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree