Tennison Gambit

Tennison Gambit

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

rc

Moves
19 Mar 10
4 edits

my book arrived today all the way from the USA. Its named after a dude who was
an officer in the Yankee army, but he was in love with a flower of the south,
therfore he resigned his commission, and was due to be court martialed, before it
happened , he sped south and was captured by the confederates and almost
hanged as a spy, convincing them of his love and loyalty he then became an officer
in the confederate army, serving throughout the war. What a swashbuckling dude
colonel Tennison was, disdaining rank and honour for the love of a lady, a fitting
example for any gambiteer of the high seas today! He settled in New Orleans and
is a relative of Paulbuchmanfromfics just across the way in Mississippi, What is his
gambit, but the father of the Budapest, 1.Nf3 d5, 2.e4

note the similarity to the Budapest gambit with reversed colours, me thinks it may
also be used against the centre counter as a surprise weapon in a game of blitz, 🙂

avast there ye landlubbers, hoist the jolly roger, to the high seas, its a gambiteers
life for me!

p

Moves
19 Mar 10
1 edit

Hi there buddy! I sent you a PM with some nice Tennison details. T-Chex refers to this as HIS gambit, so he will probably have a few pointers for you too!

Unfortunately, I am no relation to Tennison, although I do reside in the south. hehe My people were back in Italy way back then. 🙂

rc

Moves
19 Mar 10

Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
Hi there buddy! I sent you a PM with some nice Tennison details. T-Chex refers to this as HIS gambit, so he will probably have a few pointers for you too!

Unfortunately, I am no relation to Tennison, although I do reside in the south. hehe My people were back in Italy way back then. 🙂
thanks dude, i will check it out. did you enjoy the Petrosian book? i though the the biographical details excellent, the way Petrosian tells of sitting face to face with the legendary Keres, his hand literally shaking as he picked up his pieces, Geller strutting about like peacock. Interesting in the Tennison book, is the verdict of Ruy Lopez, where he states that opening moves like 1.c4, 1.d4, 1.Nf3, 1.f4 are so bad that beginners would not even play them, lol!

Ha, when has T-Chex ever ridden on horseback to win the love of some Southern Belle, this is a gambit for pirates of the high seas, not pussy cats that whine when someone plays the closed Sicilian or the c3 Sicilian 😉

p

Moves
19 Mar 10

Yes, I am enjoying the Petrosian book very much. I'm reading three books at one time though! I'll play through a little Petrosian, then a little Golombek on Capablanca, and to top it off I'm reading The Art Of Positional Play by Reshevsky (another games collection). 🙂

Right now, I have a bad sinus infection though, and it is really hard to see straight. I'm on antibiotics and pain killers for a week, but the pain still comes and goes. 🙁

e4

Moves
19 Mar 10

It also has links with Englund Gambit, I have had this in blitz games.

I bet T-Chex has as well, he even tried 4.Qe2 in a 'serious' game on here.
He won but the lad did not fall for the trap.

The Tennispn Trap

rc

Moves
20 Mar 10

Originally posted by greenpawn34
It also has links with Englund Gambit, I have had this in blitz games.

The Tennispn Trap

[pgn]
1. e4 d5 2. Nf3 dxe4 3. Ng5 Nf6 4. Qe2 Bf5 5. Qb5+ Bd7 6. Qxb7 Bc6 7. Bb5
Qd7 8. Bxc6 Qxc6 9. Qc8[/pgn]
wow, pretty cool pawn dude 🙂

HM

São Paulo, Brazil

Moves
20 Mar 10

Very nice trap. 4 ... Qd5 looks pretty ugly for white, though. Is that the refutation?

e4

Moves
20 Mar 10

I think anything that does not fall for the trap is a possible refuatation.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
21 Mar 10
2 edits

[b]It also has links with Englund Gambit, I have had this in blitz games.

I dont really like it in anything other then high speed blitz or against players significantly weaker then myself, mainly because black has some ways to allow a recapturing of the pawn into a very favourable middlegame - it is the sort of gambit which relies on your opponents greed to get the best (although, to be fair, the scandinavian is known to attract very solid and materialistic players so you will often force them into a sharp position which they wont like)

Here is an example of things going badly wrong.

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
22 Mar 10

I had never heard about Tennison or his gambit before (d4 player.) Anyone have a link to his bio.. I couldnt find anything but one sentence blurbs.

T
Mr T

I pity the fool!

Moves
22 Mar 10

Yeah, I dont know anything about this 'so called' tension character either - he sounds a bit of a dubious person to have named a chess opening after, given he deserted the american army at their time of greatest need so he could get his leg over some girl.

I still think that since I am the first one to popularise its use and bring it to public attention that, on red hot pawn at least, it should henceforth be known as the Tyrannosaurus Gambit - it sounds alot cooler for starters, and also you lot have actually heard of me too, thus making the naming more relevent to real life.

BOC

Moves
22 Mar 10

Originally posted by Tyrannosauruschex
he deserted the american army at their time of greatest need so he could get his leg over some girl.
erm... welcome to America?

e4

Moves
22 Mar 10
1 edit

What a bunch Philistine peasants you lot are.

Colonel Alfred Tennison (he of the Gambit) was a World reknown poet.

He wrote the words...

"I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where"

Although in the case of this gambit.

"I pushed a pawn onto a square,
If it got taken I did not care."

rc

Moves
23 Mar 10

What a bunch Philistine peasants you lot are.

Colonel Alfred Tennison (he of the Gambit) was a World reknown poet.

He wrote the words...

"I shot an arrow into the air,
It fell to earth, I knew not where"

Although in the case of this gambit.

"I pushed a pawn onto a square,
If it got taken I did not care."
greenpawn yer a blether

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
23 Mar 10

Originally posted by Big Orange Country
erm... welcome to America?
I look at it this way, relations with the in-laws can be tense.. but imagine if you fought for the North against your in-laws family.. that would go over well at the Thanksgiving dinner table.