1. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    15 Jul '10 22:03
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Woohoo. Let's guess every legal move until someone hits the jackpot.
    Isn't that the only way to solve it? 😛
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    15 Jul '10 22:14
    Originally posted by Maxacre42
    Isn't that the only way to solve it? 😛
    No, there is a far better way to solve it. Look at what Willzzz is doing.
  3. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    15 Jul '10 22:33
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    No, there is a far better way to solve it. Look at what Willzzz is doing.
    Let's focus on the proper method for solving.

1) Count the stuff on the board, identify missing pieces, and count the pawn captures.
    White has 14 pieces on the board. He is missing two pawns.
    Black has 13 pieces on the board. He is missing two knights and one pawn.

Armed with this knowledge, look at pawn captures. Just pick the most likely captures and count them. Do it using as few captures as possible.
    White made two captures with the a7 pawn to get around the black pawns.
    Black made two captures. The d pawns are doubled, and there's already a pawn on e5, so two captures must have been made to get this structure.

That means we've accounted for all but one of the missing pieces. Let's say d4 and e5 were originally on e7 and f7. Which black pawn is missing? Has to be the g-pawn.

How were the two white pawns captured? They were probably the f- and h-pawns, so they couldn't have been captured directly by the black pawns. Therefore, the black pawns must have captured pieces. How are they able to capture pieces when white already has the full set of 8 pieces on the board? Answer: white must have promoted two pieces. Something had to promote to either a) replace the pieces that were sacrificed to black pawns, or b) sacrifice themselves to the black pawns.

Of course, Willzzz has already come to this conclusion, but I thought it might be illuminating to show how one reaches the conclusion.
  4. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    16 Jul '10 17:03
    The last move was:

Reveal Hidden Content
    Be1-g3
  5. Joined
    19 Apr '10
    Moves
    17 Jul '10 10:35
    Well for all my previous conclusions, I still don't know. I'm curious as to how the black king got where he is, and suspect that white used the time the black pawn took to get to h2 to surround him?

Is it the knight on c5, is the black king important?

Can I look now? 🙂
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    18 Jul '10 18:41
    Originally posted by Willzzz
    Well for all my previous conclusions, I still don't know. I'm curious as to how the black king got where he is, and suspect that white used the time the black pawn took to get to h2 to surround him?

Is it the knight on c5, is the black king important?

Can I look now? 🙂
    well, no one's going to get it, so:

Hit "last" first and then use "Prev" to navigate through the moves. The paradox is that white actually saves a tempo by going through all the trouble to release the Rook. You can try it for yourself - take Bg3 directly to f8, unpromote, notice how Black runs out of moves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree