1. Standard memberusmc7257
    semper fi
    Moves
    01 Apr '12 02:561 edit
    He started a chess improvement clan awhile back designed to help us in our studies. While I really don't care about RHP ratings too much, I was stunned when I topped 1500. I have some losses coming my way, but this is the best I have played since I joined the site. I thought it would be fitting to acknowledge him publicly for his efforts.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '12 07:163 edits
    Originally posted by usmc7257
    He started a chess improvement clan awhile back designed to help us in our studies. While I really don't care about RHP ratings too much, I was stunned when I topped 1500. I have some losses coming my way, but this is the best I have played since I joined the site. I thought it would be fitting to acknowledge him publicly for his efforts.
    Aye he's a good guy except he doesn't like the Colle, shame really, I am scared to tell
    him I've been having great success at blitz with it.

3. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    01 Apr '12 09:33
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Aye he's a good guy except he doesn't like the Colle, shame really, I am scared to tell
    him I've been having great success at blitz with it.

[pgn]1. d4 d5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. e3 Nf6 {black prepares a quick ...e5 so we are not permitted our usual Colle triangle but must strike back first with ...c4} 4. c4 dxc4 5. Bxc4 e6 6. Nc3 Bb4 7. O-O Bxc3 8. bxc3 ...[text shortened]... h6 31. Bh7+ {and i dedicate this victory to Nimzo, Colle installation services, inc.} *[/pgn]
    That's not really a Colle that you played. A colle usually has d4,e3,c3 and a bishop in the hole at d3.

You've played a Queen's Gambit (delayed)which has kind of transposed into the Chigorin variation because black choose Nc6.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '12 10:01
    Originally posted by kingshill
    That's not really a Colle that you played. A colle usually has d4,e3,c3 and a bishop in the hole at d3.

You've played a Queen's Gambit (delayed)which has kind of transposed into the Chigorin variation because black choose Nc6.
    my dear Celtic cousin, I did intimate in my scant annotations that because of the black
    set up, we must adapt our own play, black was preparing a quick ...e5, therefore the
    main Colle setup is too slow, we are likely to face 3.e3 Bg4 4.Nbd2 e5 or 4.Bd3 and
    ...e5, although i understand what you are saying, my intent was to play Colle, but one
    must remain vigilant 🙂
  5. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    01 Apr '12 13:031 edit
    my dear Celtic cousin, I did intimate in my scant annotations that because of the black
    set up, we must adapt our own play, black was preparing a quick ...e5, therefore the
    main Colle setup is too slow, we are likely to face 3.e3 Bg4 4.Nbd2 e5 or 4.Bd3 and
    ...e5, although i understand what you are saying, my intent was to play Colle, but one
    must remain vigilant 🙂
    Sorry, I hadn't read your annotation I'd only quickly looked over the game.!
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '12 15:47
    Originally posted by kingshill
    Sorry, I hadn't read your annotation I'd only quickly looked over the game.!
    no worries there is a long running rivalry between me and Nimzo on the merits of the
    Colle, i was just making fun 🙂
  7. e4
    Moves
    01 Apr '12 16:19
    Hi Kingshill,

Please do not encourage Colle Troll 🙂
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Apr '12 16:431 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Kingshill,

Please do not encourage Colle Troll 🙂
    Haha, as if we Colle players need encouragement! all Colle installations guaranteed 😛
  9. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    01 Apr '12 20:14
    Thanks usmc, happy to help!
  10. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 00:19
    Haha, as if we Colle players need encouragement! all Colle installations guaranteed 😛
    I will continue to bust the Colle one line at a time.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Apr '12 10:01
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    I will continue to bust the Colle one line at a time.
    Haha, very funny dear Nimzo, it matters not, chigorins, queens Indians, Kings Indians,
    stonewalls, Dutch, attempts to destabilise and inflict IPQ's, we shall remain vigilant and
    look, we see you and we live!
  12. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    04 Apr '12 14:361 edit
    Colle players should be required to pay their opponent's entry fees as compensation for 5 hours of trying to sac on h7 from behind a stodgy wedge.

Fortunately Chess is not so simple.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Apr '12 14:501 edit
    Colle players should be required to pay their opponent's entry fees as compensation for 5 hours of trying to sac on h7 from behind a stodgy wedge.

Fortunately Chess is not so simple.
    lol, very funny, the beauty of the Colle is that you can avoid all sorts of theory, if you
    know the theory, which is a paradox of sorts me thinks. Stodgy wedge, you mean the
    impenetrable and utterly sound Colle triangle! There he is, all booked up the latest
    Nimzo Indian and Queens Indian theory and white plays a Semi slav with reversed
    colours, its brilliant!
  14. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    04 Apr '12 16:39
    lol, very funny, the beauty of the Colle is that you can avoid all sorts of theory, if you
    know the theory, which is a paradox of sorts me thinks. Stodgy wedge, you mean the
    impenetrable and utterly sound Colle triangle! There he is, all booked up the latest
    Nimzo Indian and Queens Indian theory and white plays a Semi slav with reversed
    colours, its brilliant!
    The problem with this no "theory" thing is that at lower levels theory is pretty much irrelevant in the face of tactics and basic principles. Then at the higher levels where theory matters, the Colle needs dentures.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Apr '12 17:301 edit
    The problem with this no "theory" thing is that at lower levels theory is pretty much irrelevant in the face of tactics and basic principles. Then at the higher levels where theory matters, the Colle needs dentures.
    yes but it teaches basic patterns, without the need for extensive theory, Colle v the
    Kings Indian, Colle v the Queens Indian, Colle v the Dutch, Colle v the Chigorin, Colle
    v the Slav etc , one will enter the game with at least an idea of how to proceed, what is
    more one can play it as black against all known systems with the exception of 1.e4 and
    some 'irregular openings'. The average patzer like me has no pretensions, I know that
    tactics decide the game, but at least i wont get wasted in the opening and I have a
    versatile and flexible system around which i can build a repertoire instead of playing
    every single game differently, with a different opening each time, which is what
    happens at present. There is no need to talk of grandmaster openings or the latest
    theory, the majority of patzers are happy to reach 1900-2000 if they can and dont want
    to study opening theory for the rest of their lives.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree