The 200 points question

The 200 points question

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h

Moves
28 Nov 09

Question: why is your playing strength not 200 rating points higher than it is now? What elements of chess are holding you back?

Moves
28 Nov 09

I believe Beer is holding me back.

K5

Moves
28 Nov 09
1 edit

Originally posted by dirtysniper
I believe Beer is holding me back.
Lol. I have a strict no playing policy on RHP whenever there is beer involved.

I think free time is holding me back. I don't have time to study the game like I would like. I devote any study time to tactics, but would love to be able to study endgame and openings.

h

Moves
28 Nov 09

Excluding outside factors, just on the chessboard itself

h

Moves
28 Nov 09
1 edit

No, lack of leisure time to study the game, having a new baby, old age, etc. are also external factors. I just mean, when you play a game of chess, why is it so bad as it is, and not GM material, or at least not valued "200 rating points" higher.

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
28 Nov 09

Originally posted by heinzkat
Question: why is your playing strength not 200 rating points higher than it is now? What elements of chess are holding you back?
The opposition.

h

Moves
28 Nov 09
1 edit

What are you doing worse than your 200+ points higher rated opponents?

E

Moves
28 Nov 09

That's easy.

I'm playing chess worse than my 200+ rated opponents.

h

Moves
28 Nov 09
1 edit

It can't just be the opposition that is holding back your own playing strength. 😕

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
28 Nov 09

lousy opening
catastrophic middlegame
weak attacking technique
bad endgame

tendency to ignore getting weaknesses in favour of attacking chances
lousy calculation
tendency to choose complications over solidity
pawn blindness

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
28 Nov 09

'worse' is hardly the word...to rarely use databases, perhaps I'm just less 'reliant' and that can be to the detriment of my game. To have a greater willingness to play toward the statistical aspects of a game, why in a fianchetto indian 4. e4 has a 2% better chance than g3 etc etc ...[text shortened]... nfident 'some aspects' of what I say may well be understood...as for the rest, who knows 🙂

R
CerebrallyChallenged

Lyme BayChesil Beach

Moves
28 Nov 09

TEXT IN FULL, apologies:
'worse' is hardly the word...to rarely use databases, perhaps I'm just less 'reliant' and that can be to the detriment of my game. To have a greater willingness to play toward the statistical aspects of a game, why in a fianchetto indian 4. e4 has a 2% better chance than g3 etc etc I play toward my percieved strengths, I prefer the following 'make up' as a result of g3...what I am more confident with...to a degree my game is stagnent but I have understanding of what I play.
I feel confident 'some aspects' of what I say may well be understood...as for the rest, who knows 🙂

h

Moves
28 Nov 09
2 edits

Originally posted by wormwood
lousy opening
catastrophic middlegame
weak attacking technique
bad endgame

tendency to ignore getting weaknesses in favour of attacking chances
lousy calculation
tendency to choose complications over solidity
pawn blindness
Look, that's more like it. So if you would get rid of those aspects, would you be 200 points stronger?

edit: "getting rid of " is maybe not entirely correct, as quite to the contrary you will need to learn more to lose those elements 😲

M

Moves
28 Nov 09
1 edit

delete

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
28 Nov 09

Look, that's more like it. So if you would get rid of those aspects, would you be 200 points stronger?
if I could get rid of them, I'd be 400 points higher. but I'd settle for getting mediocre, and reaching some kind of more or less complete coverage over said areas. that should do the 200+ difference I think.