1. Standard memberrbmorris
    Vampyroteuthis
    Infernalis
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 18:18
    Interesting article by Garry Kasparov, just published in the New York Times.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/23592
  2. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 18:45
    Originally posted by rbmorris

Great article! Keep 'em coming.
  3. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 18:582 edits

Rec'd

Garry Kasparov The Chess Master and the Computer
    2:2
    The heavy use of computer analysis has pushed the game itself in new directions.
    The machine doesn't care about style or patterns or hundreds of years of established theory.
    It counts up the values of the chess pieces, analyzes a few
    billion moves, and counts them up again. (A computer translates each piece and each
    positional factor into a value in order to reduce the game to numbers it can crunch.)
    It is entirely free of prejudice and doctrine and this has contributed to the
    development of players who are almost as free of dogma as the machines with which
    they train. Increasingly, a move isn't good or bad because it looks that way or
    because it hasn't been done that way before. It's simply good if it works and bad if it
    doesn't. Although we still require a strong measure of intuition and logic to play well,
    humans today are starting to play more like computers.

Very much worth reading.

-GIN
  4. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 19:00
    Your avatar has just been rec'd
  5. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 19:07
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    Rec'd

The heavy use of computer analysis has pushed the game itself in new directions.
    The machine doesn't care about style or patterns or hundreds of years of established theory. It counts up the values of the chess pieces, analyzes a few
    billion moves, and counts them up again. (A ...[text shortened]... re starting to play more like computers.

Very much worth reading.

-GIN
    I just purchased IM John Watson's "Secrets of Modern Chess Strategy" and "Modern Chess Strategy In Action", which discuss and promote this very idea. Very compelling!
  6. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 19:36
    Originally posted by Nowakowski
    Rec'd

The machine doesn't care about style or patterns or hundreds of years of established theory.
    It counts up the values of the chess pieces, analyzes a few
    billion moves, and counts them up again. ( ...[text shortened]... re starting to play more like computers.

Very much worth reading.

-GIN
    ALL UR MOV35 R BELNG 2 U5
  7. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 20:24
    Originally posted by Ice Cold
    ALL UR MOV35 R BELNG 2 U5
    Make your time.
  8. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 22:09

Very interesting article, thanks for the tip-off.

If Kasparov actually wrote any of that I'll eat my (and anybody else's) computer - it doesn't read like his voice at all and I just don't believe he knows all that stuff. Still, that doesn't stop it being fascinating.

Was the specific reference to an online chess site really necessary? Does that help us with who the actual author was.
  9. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    25 Jan '10 23:46
    Originally posted by JonathanB of London
    Very interesting article, thanks for the tip-off.

If Kasparov actually wrote any of that I'll eat my (and anybody else's) computer - it doesn't read like his voice at all and I just don't believe he knows all that stuff. Still, that doesn't stop it being fascinating.

Was the specific reference to an online chess site really necessary? Does that help us with who the actual author was.
    Get ready to swallow:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/22/gary-kasparov-on-chess-me_n_432043.html

http://myprops.org/content/Garry-Kasparov-On-Chess-Metaphors-The-Chess-Master-And-The-Computer/

http://www.silobreaker.com/garry-kasparov-11_995085

(where you can see multiple links to the article - hosted on multiple sites)

Seems to me, that even when you search Google for "Kasparov on Chess Metaphors"
    you'll find this article, over, and over, and over again...always written by the same
    ex World Champion.

-GIN
  10. Joined
    03 Jan '10
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 04:12
    Didnt GK get beat by Deep Blue?
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 04:33
    Originally posted by Jason Harrison
    Didnt GK get beat by Deep Blue?
    yes under mysterious circumstances, computers making human style moves etc
  12. Joined
    03 Jan '10
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 05:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    A Grandmaster was sat overseeing Deep Blue allegedly? IBM would never surrender the data sheets....
  13. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 06:00
    Originally posted by Phlabibit
    Make your time.
    GG
  14. Joined
    16 Oct '09
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 06:01
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    He freaked out because the computer refused the sacrifice he offered, something that was unusual at the time. The same so called human moves are found by today's computers. He was just an embarassed sore loser.
  15. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jan '10 06:06
    Originally posted by Maxacre42
    He freaked out because the computer refused the sacrifice he offered, something that was unusual at the time. The same so called human moves are found by today's computers. He was just an embarassed sore loser.
    yes he freaked out, wouldn't you! here the machine is a greedy materialist and it refuses your material? and as Jason states, they never released the data sheets and ol Joel Benjamin overseeing everything, mmm, vewy vewy intewesting Mr.Bond!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree