The Classic Bxh7 sacrifice

The Classic Bxh7 sacrifice

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

c

USA

Moves
07 Mar 09

Originally posted by paulbuchmanfromfics
You left out one key ingredient.

Black must have his queen's bishop locked in (by e6).

Long ago, I learned the hard way that Bxh7+ Kxh7, Ng5+ Kg8, Qh5 can be refuted by Bf5 (if it is available) !!!

The queen's bishop must not be able to defend the h7 square from queen invasion.

That is all I will say at this time (a very general rule).

(I have two games in progress with the classical bishop sacrifice right now !!!)
That's a good point; I have personally never been victimized by that, but that's because as you said the pawn on e6 stopped and Bf5 ideas.

Erro Ergo Sum

In the Green Room

Moves
07 Mar 09

All aspects of the classic bishop sacrifice is discussed extremely well in "Art of Attack in Chess" by Vladimir Vukovic.

S
Caninus Interruptus

Moves
08 Mar 09
2 edits

Originally posted by dsmfire
It is a Lasker game!
Lasker- Thomas, 1912

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/laskerthomas.html
Yes, it is a Lasker game, but it was Edward Lasker, who was a distant cousin of ex-WC Emanuel.

And the actual finish was 14.h4+ Kf4 15.g3+ Kf3 16.Be2+ Kg2 17.Rh2+ Kg1 18.Kd2#.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
08 Mar 09
1 edit

Here's one from January:

16...Kg6 might have held out longer. I spent about thirty minutes with the analysis board working out the variations, which I seem to recall gave me at minimum a one pawn advantage and his king remaining exposed on the center files. When he moved back to the eighth rank after the knight check, it was over.

R
YTM

Planet Earth , Mwy

Moves
08 Mar 09

Game 3759097 The success of the Kings Bishop x h7 sacrifice is as always,knowing when it is correct to do so. Just one rather simple example among many 😉

Invalid FEN inserted - 3759097

R
YTM

Planet Earth , Mwy

Moves
08 Mar 09

Not of course a true sacrifice as the bishop remains on board throughout the game,however as the bishop remains trapped to games end it is effectively a 'sacrificed prisoner',playing no further active part in this game. A piece held hostage but also acting as an effective hostage taker.A bishop of a very unbishop like nature!?😲

e4

Moves
08 Mar 09

Originally posted by SwissGambit
Yes, it is a Lasker game, but it was Edward Lasker, who was a distant cousin of ex-WC Emanuel.

And the actual finish was 14.h4+ Kf4 15.g3+ Kf3 16.Be2+ Kg2 17.Rh2+ Kg1 18.Kd2#.

[pgn][white "Edward Lasker]
[black "George Thomas"]
1. d4 f5 2. Nf3 e6 3. Nc3 Nf6 4. Bg5 Be7 5. Bxf6 Bxf6 6. e4 fxe4 7. Nxe4 O-O 8. Bd3 Qe7 9. Ne5 b6 10. Qh5 Bb7 11. Qxh7+ Kxh7 12. Nxf6+ Kh6 13. Neg4+ Kg5 14.h4+ Kf4 15.g3+ Kf3 16.Be2+ Kg2 17.Rh2+ Kg1 18.Kd2#[/pgn]
Ho Ho - greenpawn's little trick question worked.
Well it's not my trick question, it's Edward Winter's - read on.

The game I posted was actually K.S. Kibbey v D.T. Dorman. USA 1942
and the score is correct.

Proof and more about Lasker v Thomas (which is the game you refer to)
is here on Edward Winter's site.

http://www.chesshistory.com/winter/extra/laskerthomas.html

By far the best chess site on the whole net.

I too thought it was Lasker game when I first saw it.

h

Moves
08 Mar 09

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Ho Ho - greenpawn's little trick question worked.
Well it's not my trick question, it's Edward Winter's - read on.

The game I posted was actually K.S. Kibbey v D.T. Dorman. USA 1942
and the score is correct.

Proof and more about Lasker v Thomas (which is the game you refer to)
is here on Edward Winter's site.

http://www.chesshistory.com/wint ...[text shortened]... best chess site on the whole net.

I too thought it was Lasker game when I first saw it.
I have seen somewhere (some Internet site) that there are about a dozen different score sheets available of that game, all with different finishes (some finish O-O-O# too) and move orders/moves to get to the position with Qxh7+.

OK, I've written this message and decided to check out Winter's page on it. It was that page indeed 🙂

L

Moves
08 Mar 09

Originally posted by AttilaTheHorn
All aspects of the classic bishop sacrifice is discussed extremely well in "Art of Attack in Chess" by Vladimir Vukovic.
Yes it is. I have that book, and the entire section on the Bxh7 sac makes it worth the read alone.

d

Moves
08 Mar 09
1 edit

Originally posted by chesskid001
I just finished a game Game 6058677 where I had a chance to use the classic Bxh7 sacrifice; from what I've read and from what I've learned through experience, the Bxh7 sacrifice is most likely to work when

A) A Knight can check on g5 and a Queen can get to h5 (these are the usual prerequisites for the sacrifice)
B) A bishop exists on the c1-h6 ...[text shortened]... ot work? Or perhaps any more ideas what makes the sacrifice successful and what makes it fail?
I was the victim of such sacrifice in my last FICS game. It's an embarrassing loss: http://blog.chess.com/diskamyl/weekly-fics-game-analysis-2

Erro Ergo Sum

In the Green Room

Moves
08 Mar 09

Originally posted by Leaadas
Yes it is. I have that book, and the entire section on the Bxh7 sac makes it worth the read alone.
>First of all, sorry about that grammar mistake in my original post. (My grandmother, a university graduate before WWI, is turning over in her grave at seeing me do that! I know I'll hear about that when I meet her again in the after-life.)
>Yes, I agree. That chapter on the classic bishop sac is alone worth the price of the book. This is one of my favourite books. I heartily recommend it.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
08 Mar 09

Originally posted by greenpawn34
By far the best chess site on the whole net.
I have a hard time making or accepting such broad declarations, but for what Winter does--investigate historical questions large and small, identify and verify sources--I must agree. Edward Winter has no peer.

d

1. e4!!

Moves
08 Mar 09

Why not 34. Rc7+? It wins the queen.

BSU

Moves
09 Mar 09
1 edit

think in your game its sound as the king is very isolated but usually
it doesn't work.

i play this bishop sacrifice all the time and gives a nice attack on the castle :

[Event "uChess rated"]
[Site "www.uchess.com"]
[Date "2009.3.1"]
[Round "?"]
[White "solstice"]
[Black "Black Star"]
[Result "0-1"]

G

Moves
10 Mar 09

I will show you a game where I thought I had a winning attack but was just 1 tempo short.... The end of the game is bad, I know 🙁

Game 6059537