The Complete Book of Chess Strategy

The Complete Book of Chess Strategy

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

T

Moves
08 Feb 07

I'm still pretty new around here and decided to pick up a chess book to start getting better. The choices at the B. Dalton I visited wasn't huge and I ended up purchasing "The Complete Book of Chess Strategy" by Silman.

Any thoughts on this book?

g

Moves
08 Feb 07

Originally posted by Tiderius
I'm still pretty new around here and decided to pick up a chess book to start getting better. The choices at the B. Dalton I visited wasn't huge and I ended up purchasing "The Complete Book of Chess Strategy" by Silman.

Any thoughts on this book?
It's a decent book to peruse prior to a tournament to remind yourself about basic tactical and positional motifs.

A similar, and my in opinion superior, book is "Encyclopedia of Chess Wisdom" by Eric Schiller.

z

Moves
08 Feb 07

It is the most worthless chess book that I ever payed full price for. There are barely any examples of the so called strategies... For a begginner not familiar with chess lingo, it might be nice, but for most of us, it's a waste of cash. The only other book I've ever liked less was a book on gambit openings by schiller.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
08 Feb 07
1 edit

I have Silman's The Complete Book of Chess Strategy. It is good, as are all of his books, but the book needs better indexing. It usually takes longer to find what I know is in there when I'm looking for it. As the book is designed as a reference work, the indexing is the key.

I would not waste my money or time on anything by Schiller.

c
THE BISHOP GOD

BOSTON

Moves
08 Feb 07

that book is pathetic!!

it would be good for a kid who's doing a school essay on chess and thats it!

it's more of a reference book for people who don't play and will never play!

silman books suck. so do schillers.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
08 Feb 07

Originally posted by chessisvanity
that book is pathetic!!

it would be good for a kid who's doing a school essay on chess and thats it!

it's more of a reference book for people who don't play and will never play!

I think everyone under 1400 on this site could well use the instruction it contains.

c

Moves
08 Feb 07

Originally posted by Wulebgr
I think everyone under 1400 on this site could well use the instruction it contains.
I have the book - I've read it, it's not exactly good, more of a 1200's book - but it is easy and you can improve from it.

It will help you understand concepts a bit better - especially with pawns, iso pawns, etc.

I wouldn't buy it again probably though.

I also have the Amateurs Mind - which is quite good.

T

Moves
08 Feb 07

Originally posted by cmsMaster
I have the book - I've read it, it's not exactly good, more of a 1200's book - but it is easy and you can improve from it.

It will help you understand concepts a bit better - especially with pawns, iso pawns, etc.

I wouldn't buy it again probably though.

I also have the Amateurs Mind - which is quite good.
As I'm very new and a 1200 player, probably lower, then this will probably help me more than having no book at all.

O

Moves
08 Feb 07
1 edit

silman books suck.
I'd give them another chance - the Amateur's Mind has helped me a lot more than any other book I've read, at least in terms of how much it has helped me improve as an adult.

s
Fast and Curious

slatington, pa, usa

Moves
08 Feb 07

Originally posted by OrangeKing
I'd give them another chance - the Amateur's Mind has helped me a lot more than any other book I've read, at least in terms of how much it has helped me improve as an adult.
I agree with that, 'The Amatuer's Mind' is a great book. Also check out "The Life and Games of Tal' IMO, one of the best chess books ever, the games are extremely heavy in analysis and the stories are very amusing and insiteful. Highly recommended!

i
SelfProclaimedTitler

Moves
08 Feb 07
3 edits

that book is pathetic!!

Sure. Please, chessvanity, write one book for us stupid fellows, an IM book is far too primitive for someone with your understanding of chess.
(fantastic 1200 rating).

As for you, Tiderius, if you are new to chess, then maybe it would be better to study a little bit of tactics, opening principles, basic endgame and matting patterns... I throughly reccomend Josh Waitzkin's interactive academy in Chessmaster 10th edition. And when your playing strength rise a little bit, then you could start with Silman Amateurs mind, and Yasser Seirawan "Winning chess" series...

International masters like Silman and grandmasters like Seirawan are surely better in chess teaching than any one of us on this forum, so reading reccomended chess books can't do damage to you, right?

I wish you luck!

Moves
08 Feb 07

The Winning Chess series is highly reccomended on these forums. I have the tactics book and found it helpful (though it will take a few reads before I absorb at all). I also like Weapons of Chess by Pandolfini. It sounds simillar to the book you bought and is useful. If the material is new to you, than it doesn't matter how others may disparage it, you will no doubt benefit from reading it. Preference of one author over another is often a matter of taste.

m

Richmond Hill

Moves
08 Feb 07

Are there ANY good strategy books that aren't completely useless and written for someone in the 1400 range (this isn't me, but, you know). I've read a few books on tactics and so I think now I need to balance them out.

b

Lisbon

Moves
08 Feb 07

Originally posted by mrjonesvich321
Are there ANY good strategy books that aren't completely useless and written for someone in the 1400 range (this isn't me, but, you know). I've read a few books on tactics and so I think now I need to balance them out.
Sillman has the "How to reassess your chess" which is a very good book on strategy. It also has a separate book which consists of very few theory (just main things) and the rest are exercises for you to solve.

I have both books and I feel I learned quite a lot from them.

wotagr8game

tbc

Moves
09 Feb 07

Originally posted by sonhouse
I agree with that, 'The Amatuer's Mind' is a great book. Also check out "The Life and Games of Tal' IMO, one of the best chess books ever, the games are extremely heavy in analysis and the stories are very amusing and insiteful. Highly recommended!
The Life and Games of Tal is a great book but it is hopeless reading if you want to improve. It is great as an exercise in teaching yourself how little you understand about the game, but it is hopeless to try and use it to improve your game. Tal is the exception to every rule!! I read this book and dropped 100 points in grade as i suddenly thought i could get away with sacrificing all my pieces to deliver mate, 20 moves later with my lone King and a pawn against a full black army!! That said, i loved the book, it's probably my favourite. 😉