1. e4
    Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    25313
    09 Dec '15 13:521 edit
    Running along the London Classic is the FIDE Open.

    Here is where the real chess is being played. After the first five
    rounds (501 games) not one Berlin Defence has been seen.

    Here is a snapshot of a game from the Fide Open.

    Jovanka Houska -Peter Korning, The London FIDE OPEN 2015

  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    09 Dec '15 17:172 edits
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Running along the London Classic is the FIDE Open.

    Here is where the real chess is being played. After the first five
    rounds (501 games) not one Berlin Defence has been seen.

    Here is a snapshot of a game from the Fide Open.

    Jovanka Houska -Peter Korning, The London FIDE OPEN 2015

    [pgn]
    [FEN "r3r1k1/b4ppp/pqn5/2NQ4/1P6/P4NPb/1B2P2P/2R2RK1 ...[text shortened]... all forced.} 23... Kh8 24. Nf7+ Kg8 25. Nh6+ Kh8 26. Qg8+ Rxg8 27. Nf7# {How about that.} [/pgn]
    She (Jovanka) is rated 2400 and her opponent was 2000 so it's not THAT surprising he fell for a smothered mate. My question is why didn't he resign several moves earlier, like at least when she went N-h6+? or even a move before. Hell, I am only rated 1750 USCF and I would have seen that coming well before crunch time.
  3. Aylesbury
    Joined
    08 Nov '14
    Moves
    45951
    09 Dec '15 18:24
    Maybe he didn't resign earlier because he thought that such a smooth mating sequence deserved to be run to its conclusion.
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Joined
    21 Aug '09
    Moves
    99405
    09 Dec '15 23:01
    Originally posted by Duncan Clarke
    Maybe he didn't resign earlier because he thought that such a smooth mating sequence deserved to be run to its conclusion.
    I was thinking the same thing!
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Joined
    28 Dec '04
    Moves
    52619
    15 Dec '15 19:01
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I was thinking the same thing!
    I was looking at the position where king goes to H8, what would have happened if the king went to F8 instead? I see the bishop take rook check but is there a mate in there?
  6. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    15 Dec '15 20:39
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Running along the London Classic is the FIDE Open.

    Here is where the real chess is being played. After the first five
    rounds (501 games) not one Berlin Defence has been seen.

    Here is a snapshot of a game from the Fide Open.

    Jovanka Houska -Peter Korning, The London FIDE OPEN 2015

    [pgn]
    [FEN "r3r1k1/b4ppp/pqn5/2NQ4/1P6/P4NPb/1B2P2P/2R2RK1 ...[text shortened]... all forced.} 23... Kh8 24. Nf7+ Kg8 25. Nh6+ Kh8 26. Qg8+ Rxg8 27. Nf7# {How about that.} [/pgn]
    I have her book on the Caro Kaan, I love her, she loves me, we should be married. Awesome game.
  7. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    07 Jan '16 22:46
    Can anyone tell me where i can get a pgn of these games? I keep searching for it and all i get is the London chess Classic and the Grand chess tour with those same old boring super grandmasters.
  8. SubscriberRagwort
    Ex Duris Gloria
    YO UK
    Joined
    04 Jul '09
    Moves
    104825
    08 Jan '16 16:53
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Can anyone tell me where i can get a pgn of these games? I keep searching for it and all i get is the London chess Classic and the Grand chess tour with those same old boring super grandmasters.
    They are under the "festival 2015" tab on the left hand side of the London classic website.
  9. Account suspended
    Joined
    26 Aug '07
    Moves
    38239
    08 Jan '16 16:59
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    They are under the "festival 2015" tab on the left hand side of the London classic website.
    thanks Raggers 😀
Back to Top