1. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    23 Jan '06 17:40
    Post help for the needy chess players here.
    Give insight into the mysterys of the worlds most fascinating game.
    Ask questions, post games.
    Us know-it-alls will try to answer to the best of our abilitys
  2. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '06 17:42

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

3. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    23 Jan '06 18:41
    Originally posted by Grandmouster
    Post help for the needy chess players here.
    Give insight into the mysterys of the worlds most fascinating game.
    Ask questions, post games.
    Us know-it-alls will try to answer to the best of our abilitys
    This is a wind up isn't you cannot be for real..can you?
  4. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    23 Jan '06 18:421 edit
    Originally posted by Sicilian Smaug
    I need ALOT of help! But your rating is lower than mine, are you sure you can help?
    sorry.. you will have to seek the wisdom of a much more enlightened player..😀
  5. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    23 Jan '06 19:13
    Im serious, I think its good to help other players, less knowledgable.
    Of course my tounge in cheek style may have thrown some people off, but fell free to help out, and ask away
  6. Joined
    28 Sep '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '06 20:18
    I think a teaching ladder would be a good idea for RHP, though it may well collapse at the top because of a lack of really high rated players.
  7. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Jan '06 20:581 edit
    I'll start; what I'd like to see somewhere a DEFENSIVE tactics site with problems where a player needs to make a move to stop a material winning tactic. Most games I see by lower rated players here are not lost because of simply hanging pieces (though many are) but by missing a fork, being caught in a pin that leaves a piece unprotected in reality or the pinned piece being trapped and unable to be defended adequately or (my favorite) a winning skewer. All the tactics sites I see concentrate on problems where there is a winning solution for you when, sadly, in reality inadequate defense to fairly obvious threats loses most lower rated games.
  8. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '06 21:04
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    I'll start; what I'd like to see somewhere a DEFENSIVE tactics site with problems where a player needs to make a move to stop a material winning tactic. Most games I see by lower rated players here are not lost because of simply hanging pieces (though many are) but by missing a fork, being caught in a pin that leaves a piece unprotected in reality or th ...[text shortened]... , sadly, in reality inadequate defense to fairly obvious threats loses most lower rated games.
    D Fence
    D Fence
    D Fence

This ain't NFL football. This is chess. White to move and win! 😛
  9. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Jan '06 21:43
    Originally posted by Regicidal
    D Fence
    D Fence
    D Fence

This ain't NFL football. This is chess. White to move and win! 😛
    Apparently you missed the title of the thread. Since my advice is sooooooooooooooo worthless, perhaps you'd like to share your expertise with those less fortunate.
  10. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    23 Jan '06 21:591 edit
    I'll start; what I'd like to see somewhere a DEFENSIVE tactics site with problems where a player needs to make a move to stop a material winning tactic. Most games I see by lower rated players here are not lost because of simply hanging pieces (though many are) but by missing a fork, being caught in a pin that leaves a piece unprotected in reality or th ...[text shortened]... , sadly, in reality inadequate defense to fairly obvious threats loses most lower rated games.
    This seems like a matter of technique. With good endgame knowledge, you should know how to trade down to avoid tactics.
    Some books on defense are by Soltis and Poulugayevsky
  11. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    23 Jan '06 22:06
    Apparently you missed the title of the thread. Since my advice is sooooooooooooooo worthless, perhaps you'd like to share your expertise with those less fortunate.
    Perhaps you missed the tongue hanging out of my mouth.
    Seriously though, good idea. Threat recognition is good! Maybe I'll do that.
  12. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    23 Jan '06 22:27
    Originally posted by Grandmouster
    This seems like a matter of technique. With good endgame knowledge, you should know how to trade down to avoid tactics.
    Some books on defense are by Soltis and Poulugayevsky
    Good endgame knowledge isn't of much use in seeing middlegame tactics.
  13. Joined
    06 May '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '06 01:24
    For people wanting to improve their endgames, I recommend Irving Chernev's Book 'Capablanca's Best Chess Endings: 60 Complete Games'.
  14. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    24 Jan '06 02:02
    [b]I'll start; what I'd like to see somewhere a DEFENSIVE tactics site with problems where a player needs to make a move to stop a material winning tactic....
    A month or so ago I started my first book on tactics (Pandolfini's "Chess Target Practice"😉. Solving the chess problems in this book has definitely improved my game, as many at this site said it would. But what took me totally by surprise was how much it helped me see the potential threats to MY position. It helped my defensive game every bit as much as my offensive.
  15. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    24 Jan '06 02:13
    Originally posted by basso
    A month or so ago I started my first book on tactics (Pandolfini's "Chess Target Practice"😉. Solving the chess problems in this book has definitely improved my game, as many at this site said it would. But what took me totally by surprise was how much it helped me see the potential threats to MY position. It helped my defensive game every bit as much as my offensive.
    If you can't see tactics then you can't defend you position. So to play good defense you need to learn tactics, hence offense.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree