Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 09 Mar '06 02:53
    Wanted to pick up the new Kasparov volume (...Predecessors V) Checked the price on Chesscafe, a reliable bookseller affilliated with USCF. $37.95. Checked with Amazon, it was $25.20. I don't mind paying a few extra bucks to sponsor U.S. chess, but the difference is ridiculous. Incidentally, I don't think there is a anything equal to this set of volumes dealing with the history of modern chess. It has a few minor flaws, but on the whole it's a superb set at a reasonable price. It's a must for anyone interested in the history of the game.
  2. 09 Mar '06 03:30
    Originally posted by buddy2
    Wanted to pick up the new Kasparov volume (...Predecessors V) Checked the price on Chesscafe, a reliable bookseller affilliated with USCF. $37.95. Checked with Amazon, it was $25.20. I don't mind paying a few extra bucks to sponsor U.S. chess, but the difference is ridiculous. Incidentally, I don't think there is a anything equal to this set of volumes d ...[text shortened]... rb set at a reasonable price. It's a must for anyone interested in the history of the game.
    I heard the shipping cost are huge though for stuff from Amazon and other site depending on how much you buy, price etc...

    Lots of our Univ textbooks are $40 cheaper online then in the bookstore but the shipping cost is very expensive and in the end you really only save several dollars and you gotta wait for the shipping, compared to walk to the bookstore, paying and getting your book right away, it's also a lot safe if your aren't comfortable with online shopping or don't have this so called "credit" card. No idea what it is, anyone know?









    Just joking Got ya.
  3. 09 Mar '06 13:07
    I just checked. The shipping cost for Chesscafe is 5.95. Shipping cost of Amazon is 3.99. So even there I save. It's the proverbial no-brainer. Incidentally, why do they call it "ground" mail since at some point they're going to fly the book. It seems crazy to ship anything by truck or rail today.
  4. Standard member Wulebgr
    Angler
    09 Mar '06 15:58
    Originally posted by buddy2
    Incidentally, why do they call it "ground" mail since at some point they're going to fly the book. It seems crazy to ship anything by truck or rail today.
    Get in your car and come out west. I guarantee that as you travel the nation's freeways, you'll see tractor-trailers pulling doubles, and triples where the law allows, that say UPS on the side. That's why they call it "ground".

    "If you've got it, a truck brought it." popular bumper snicker 20 years ago.
  5. Standard member Amaurote
    No Name Maddox
    09 Mar '06 16:02
    On a tangential note, what annoys me most about most chess-related books is that the more useful they are, the less likely they are to be available in hardcover format...the game is very poorly served by publishers.
  6. 09 Mar '06 16:57
    Originally posted by Amaurote
    On a tangential note, what annoys me most about most chess-related books is that the more useful they are, the less likely they are to be available in hardcover format...the game is very poorly served by publishers.
    Try Schachverlag Kania. These (very good) books are in German though.