The Rules of Chess / Arbiters Decisions

The Rules of Chess / Arbiters Decisions

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

s

Moves
24 Sep 07

Anyone got any good stories about something that happened to them in an OTB game and what the arbiter/tournament director's decision was. And thoughts thereon?

Like...When I was a kid I played in a tournament where the time control was 44 moves in 2 hours, then 22 moves in each hour thereafter. My opponent and I were both bashing out moves to make the time control and when we looked up, both our flags had fallen, both of us were 1 move short of the time control and I had lost a piece. I claimed a draw. The TD's ruling was that the game had to be continued and that we would both have to meet 66 moves made by the 3 hour mark.

However, had the game been a 120:120 - ie. all moves in 2 hours and both flags had fallen, it would have been a draw.

e

Moves
24 Sep 07

45min time control, no move delay, and no extra time after "x" moves. Board 1 at a high school pre-season match. I had 2 min left and a drawn position. It wasn't obvious to everyone, but it was there. I offered a draw, he declined. We played. At 3 seconds left, I claimed "insufficient losing chances." We both look at the clock, and watch it tick from 1 to 0 seconds. He claims a win, I went to get a TD. Unfortunantyl, they were having a meeting, so I got the most junior TD. His first question: "what is insufficient losing chances?" I practically fell out of my chair. After explaining it and the rule, he stares at the board and states: "but you can't win, so you can't claim insufficient losing chances." I turn to him: "Yes and no, I can't win, but I can't lose." Eventually, he just gave me 5 minutes on my clock and said "prove it." 10 moves later my oponent came to his senses and took the draw. Regardless, I think I got away with something, but after that everyone has made me play on a delay clock, so that I can't pull something like that again.

N

Moves
24 Sep 07

Rapid overnight tournament. I played a total prick. He was complaining about everything and everybody.

In the game he moved his rook (and let go) he noticed he made a mistake and took it back. I claimed he let go, he said he didn´t I was not in the mood of arguing so I let it.

He thought for a while and played a castle. I claimed he was not allowed to castle and should move his rook. He disagreed. I called for the ref. against the ref he LIED and claimed he touched the rook and king at the same time. However the referee told him that dispite that he should move his rook.

I guess the referee felt he was lying.

F

Moves
24 Sep 07
2 edits

Originally posted by Nerbeis
He thought for a while and played a castle. I claimed he was not allowed to castle and should move his rook. He disagreed. I called for the ref. against the ref he LIED and claimed he touched the rook and king at the same time. However the referee told him that dispite that he should move his rook.
There seems to be a rule for everything.
You have to move the king and the rook (in this order) with the same hand, in order to be legal. (Moreover, punch the clock with the same hand too.) Therefore it is impossible to touch the king and rook at the same time.