1. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 08:45
    Does anyone have Interesting sicilians they want to post?

Game 2183932

In this game I had the inferior position because of a white sacrifice for a long time. I only won because my apponent really let me.
    I think I really should have lost this game.

Is the sicilian too dangerous for black?
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 09:201 edit
    1. ... c5? is one the classic blunders. The most famous blunder is entering a land war in Asia however another slightly lesser known one is: never play the Sicilian when the game is on the line.
    EDIT: And the game is always on the line in the Sicilian.
  3. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 09:57
    Out of interest, what would be your response to 1.e4 then XNZ?

I've tried the sicilian but don't know much about it so get d1cked on every time. Quite a few good players I've been up against play the sicilian but that might be just because they're up against my level of play.
  4. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 12:29
    Originally posted by TheGambit
    Out of interest, what would be your response to 1.e4 then XNZ?

I've tried the sicilian but don't know much about it so get d1cked on every time. Quite a few good players I've been up against play the sicilian but that might be just because they're up against my level of play.
    If you look at his games, you will see that he plays the dragon (a variation of the sicilian). His comment was a spoof on a classic line from The Princess Bride.
  5. London
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 14:101 edit
    Originally posted by NZDrifter
    Does anyone have Interesting sicilians they want to post?

Is the sicilian too dangerous for black?
    The Siclian is dangerous for both sides - I don't have any stats, but my hunch is the chances of a decisive game increase a great deal after 1.e4 c5 compared to many openings.

I would be interested to know what the forum thinks of my opening in Game 2196546. I thought I was playing pretty good chess - central pawns, exchanged bishop for knight - but then I soon got in trouble. Was it the pawn snatch that led to my dubious position?! Or just my general lack of development, anyhow?! Although I won, I felt my opponent probably overlooked something or other. Btw I played this game very quickly and don't normally play the Sicilian, and there are a few obvious improvements, like Qe6 rather than Qd7-e6. But I think I was in trouble before that . . .
  6. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 14:44
    Originally posted by zebano
    His comment was a spoof on a classic line from The Princess Bride.
    Oops, my bad, never heard of The Princess Bride.

With regards to the Sicilian, do you know any decent websites with information on the main themes and lines for the various Sicilians? I guess there may be quite a few but if anyone knows of a good one that'd be appreciated.
  7. Standard member33moves
    4th stooge
    anytown, USA
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 15:27
    Originally posted by XanthosNZ
    never play the Sicilian when the game is on the line.[/b]
    Actually, black is supposed to play the Sicilian when he or she is gunning for a win (assuming, of coarse, that one has studied the Sicilian), as the fight is not for equality, its for risky, yet winning chances from the get go. So if one needs a win in a tournament, and you get black and e4 is pushed, the game is "on the line", and you are a Sicilian player- push 2. ...c5, and the fight is on! You have effectivly declared "I'm playing for the win".
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 15:45
    How Not to play the F4. Sicilian as White: -
    Game 2198279
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 19:44
    Originally posted by 33moves
    Actually, black is supposed to play the Sicilian when he or she is gunning for a win (assuming, of coarse, that one has studied the Sicilian), as the fight is not for equality, its for risky, yet winning chances from the get go. So if one needs a win in a tournament, and you get black and e4 is pushed, the game is "on the line", and you are a Sicilian playe ...[text shortened]... push 2. ...c5, and the fight is on! You have effectivly declared "I'm playing for the win".
    You are so incredibly stupid...
  10. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 19:44
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    How Not to play the F4. Sicilian as White: -
    Game 2198279
    2.f4 seems to be a little dubious, most players choose 2.Nc3 then 3.f4.
  11. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 20:26
    ^ 2.f4 is most certainly playable...and don't think its duboius, or unsound, although it may be objectivly weaker than something like Nc3....I'm not sure
  12. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 20:28
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    ^ 2.f4 is most certainly playable...and don't think its duboius, or unsound, although it may be objectivly weaker than something like Nc3....I'm not sure
    People consider it riskier, maybe not dubious though, because it allows an immediate d5.
  13. washington
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 22:40
    the sicicilian is for the attacking player. you have to be a player with balls to play it well.
  14. London
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 22:57
    Originally posted by kmac27
    the sicicilian is for the attacking player. you have to be a player with balls to play it well.
    What about Judit Polgar?
  15. Standard memberEnigmaticCam
    Chess n00b
    Cali
    Moves
    28 Jun '06 23:06
    Originally posted by TommyC
    What about Judit Polgar?
    lol 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree