1. Joined
    04 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 18:42
    I'm a math Ph.D student, and want to be able to enjoy playing chess. Now I only know the game rules, nothing else. I have 3 months of free time during the summer, and I want to buy a good chess book and learn by myself. Do you have any recommendations? Thanks!
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 18:52
    From what I hear Yasser Seirawan's "Winning Chess..." series is very nice.

I think these books are all in that series

Winning Chess Tactics
    Winning Chess Openings
    Winning Chess Endings
    Etc.

An amazon search for Seirawan should probably bring up the entire series.
  3. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 19:10
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    From what I hear Yasser Seirawan's "Winning Chess..." series is very nice.

I think these books are all in that series

Winning Chess Tactics
    Winning Chess Openings
    Winning Chess Endings
    Etc.

An amazon search for Seirawan should probably bring up the entire series.
    You might also just go to the library, they seem to have a good selection which includes Yasser's. Are you going to get married after the summer Morphy?

You have to know a little chess history if you wish to understand the last part.
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 19:10
    chernev: logical chess move by move.

33 classical games explained move by move, from the first move to the last one. very clear, to the point and never assumes anything.
  5. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 19:19
    Originally posted by wormwood

33 classical games explained move by move, from the first move to the last one. very clear, to the point and never assumes anything.
    YES! That happens to be one of the books I took out, and the one I like best!
    Every move is explained with variations. Most of the games, at least the first few, are only around 20 moves long so it is quick and not so boring to go through.
  6. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 19:19
    Originally posted by wormwood

I would get this book for sure. That will help with all the phases of the game, but I also recommend CT-ART 3.0 (software) or Reinfelds 1001 Winning Chess Combinations and Sacrifices (that might not be the exact title). The last two suggestions will help with finding tactics and calculating variations more than Chernev's book.
  7. Joined
    04 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 20:30
    Thank you for your recommendations. I've ordered "Logical Chess" by Irving Chernev and "Play Winning Chess" by Yasser Seirawan from amazon. Hope they'll provide me a joyful chess learning experience in the summer. Thanks again for your help!

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree