1. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 21:403 edits
    Originally posted by Ohforf
    As I said, I agree with all that. What I was asking was something different: why would anyone ~want~ to stop a game for a timeout after only a few moves if the game is about even, only a couple of hours after the skull appears?
    I think you have missed the answer in the above posts, it was there:

time is a part of the equation and claiming the win in the 5th move is no different than mating your opponent in the 5th move if s/he gives you the opportunity.

would you just ~want~ to keep playing instead of 5.Qxf7# ?

I think you have missed the answer in the above posts, it was there:

time is a part of the equation and claiming the win in the 5th move is no different than mating your opponent in the 5th move if s/he gives you the opportunity.

would you just ~want~ to keep playing instead of 5.Qxf7# ?

edit:

oh well, I've just finished your post and you've said "In fact, whenever anyone makes an obvious blunder that is reversible I always offer them the opportunity to take the move back, since I prefer an interesting game to a stupid win. "

now I understand why you don't understand, but I don't understand why you play chess in the first place if you won't take advantage of blunders. the game is all about not making blunders yourself and taking advantage of you opponent's.
  2. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 21:521 edit
    Let us compare chess to say, a penalty shoot-out in football. You aren't going to offer the opponent team a second chance when they've missed their fifth penalty kick. 🙂 The whole idea of the game is to get a "winner" and a "loser". If you win a coin toss you aren't going to be offering a second roll either.
  3. Standard memberIchibanov
    King of slow
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 21:57
    To be fair, we all play for different reasons. For some, it's about the process and not so much the end result. For most here, I think it's about competition, but I do understand Ohforf's approach. And after all these responses, I'm sure he understand ours.
  4. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 22:00
    Originally posted by philidor position
    I think you have missed the answer in the above posts, it was there....
    Indeed.

I took some time to answer the question in some detail - wish Ihadn't bothered now.
  5. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 22:05
    Yes, you can play romantic chess but that's point-less. "The result" is an important part of chess. Although you can question its real importance, of course.
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 22:06
    why would anyone ~want~ to stop a game for a timeout after only a few moves if the game is about even, only a couple of hours after the skull appears?
    why isn't the game continued after checkmate, until all pieces are gone?

why more cards aren't dealt after passing 21 in blackjack?

why isn't a tennis match continued after 6-0?

because

the game

is

over.
  7. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 22:12
    Originally posted by wormwood
    because

the game

is

over.
    The tricky part is a fresh game is awaiting us immediately afterwards...
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 22:45
    I've read a lot of responses above (some sounding irate) that are not at all responsive to my question. I totally agree that (1) I shouldn't have a problem with claiming timeouts; (2) time limits are standard in over-the-board tournaments [which have real rewards, by the way, like cash]; (3) it's perfectly fine and proper for someone to claim a timeout; (4) i ...[text shortened]... a stupid win. But that's just me. I have no problem with people who think otherwise.
    Game 6365408

You had Black in this position and had just played 19...Qb6. White replied 20.a5?? Naturally, I expected you to kindly remind him that he had hung his Knight, and play something like 20...Qa7, keeping the game interesting. Imagine my shock when I saw that you heartlessly ate the Knight with 20...Qxd4! 😲

=============================
    And in this one...
    Game 6422622

White plays 19.Bxc7?? and you glibly respond 19...Nxc7. Merciless!

Later on, same game:

White plays 29.Nxc6?? and you reply 29...Nxe1, gladly winning the Rook for a minor piece. Wouldn't 29...bxc6 have kept the game more interesting?

=======================

I'm afraid your personality is much more like ours than you realize.
  9. Joined
    25 Apr '06
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 22:50
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Game 6365408

[fen]r1b1k2r/5pp1/pqP2n1p/3pb3/PP1Np3/B7/R4PPP/1N1QR1K1 w kq - 0 20[/fen]

You had Black in this position and had just played 19...Qb6. White replied 20.a5?? Naturally, I expected you to kindly remind him that he had hung his Knight, and play something like 20...Qa7, keeping the game interesting. Imagine my shock when I saw that y ...[text shortened]... ======================

I'm afraid your personality is much more like ours than you realize.
    I guess he's talking about returning to the exact same position. In the examples, the opposing players make pawn moves or capture stuff. Returning to the old position would require exploding RHP's program code.
  10. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 23:242 edits
    I've read a lot of responses above (some sounding irate) that are not at all responsive to my question. I totally agree that (1) I shouldn't have a problem with claiming timeouts; (2) time limits are standard in over-the-board tournaments [which have real rewards, by the way, like cash]; (3) it's perfectly fine and proper for someone to claim a timeout; (4) i a stupid win. But that's just me. I have no problem with people who think otherwise.
    your sumup also could have been neutral or positive,

You could have said, something like:

1. They have helping natures and want to learn people to follow the rules, so that they and others will benefit from that
    2. They have a huge gameload, in which I was adding extra pressure
    3. They are people who just follow the rules,
    4. My behaviour of not complying to the very easy terms we made,
    gives them annoyence. To spare them from further annoyence they timeout.

instead with your choice of words you choose to redicule your opponent.

So, to give it back at you, it seems that
    1. When you make a mistake, you tend to blame others since they clearly could have ignored/corrected your mistake.
    2. By moving too late, you are clearly enlarging their gameload, however you blame them for mistakenly taken to many games
    3. You dogmatize a person or group of persons based on their actions in a insignificant online game,
    4. You have a personallity that you blaim your mistakes on others, then complain about their behaviour on a forum.

ps:
    I find it amusing that you are so negative about the authoritarian and instructive "character" of a skull-clicker, whilst you found it needed to explain to the repliers that they are not for the full 100% responsive to your question.
  11. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 23:32
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    I guess he's talking about returning to the exact same position. In the examples, the opposing players make pawn moves or capture stuff. Returning to the old position would require exploding RHP's program code.
    Of course - but the examples are meant to show the flaw in the rationale behind allowing takebacks. There were means at his disposal of eschewing the 'cheap' win and keeping the positions interesting. The point that the position is not exactly the same is a minor one.
  12. Joined
    10 Dec '06
    Moves
    20 Aug '09 23:35
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Of course - but the examples are meant to show the flaw in the rationale behind allowing takebacks. There were means at his disposal of eschewing the 'cheap' win and keeping the positions interesting. The point that the position is not exactly the same is a minor one.
    I agree.

In fact when both sides allow all blunders to be taken back, all games would score a draw
  13. Joined
    29 May '09
    Moves
    21 Aug '09 02:39
    Heck - I see no problem with it. If my opponent doesn't move in the time alotted, I claim a win. It's just the rules of the game. I'm also a big OTB player though. I saw that mentioned by someone. OTB does not always equal rewards by the way.
  14. Kalispell, MT
    Moves
    21 Aug '09 04:17
    It must come down to what Chess is to you.
    A puzzle?

A game?

A Sport?

I think some of the puzzleheads probably don't care for clicking skulls
    the game players are probably pretty apathetic (don't care), and the
    sport players take wins however they can be manifested.

-GIN
  15. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    21 Aug '09 04:34
    The timeout mentality
    I don't want to play with people having a sloppy time management. If they cannot move in time, and thus make the game slow, then I skull him out, and the problem is solved.

If we agree to a 3/7 time control, why act as if was really a 21/28 time control? If he doesn't want to play 3/7, then he should only play 21/28.

One thing worse than people not knowing to handle their time controls is people who whines. That his losin is suddenly a matter of moral, and he wins in the morality battle. "I'm better than you because you skulled me out!" Whine, whine, whine. Why don't they play tic-tac-toe instead?

I'm honest to you. In my profile I say clearly that "I never remind, I always click the skull". If you don't like that, don't play with me.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree