1. Joined
    16 Dec '04
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 09:35
    Originally posted by 7ate9
    ha ha ha!!!
    You dear boy are a twerp. Man I love that word.

As you said, chess is not life, it is a game..... and winning the game in this manner proves nothing. I have never, and will never time someone out whilst they are on vacation. Ok, maybe there's no need to moan about it, but the act that provoked it stinks.

Is someone keeping tabs on the number of "so and so timed me out" threads, it must be a large number by now.....
  2. Standard memberDerfel Cadarn
    The Mighty
    Rocky Mountains
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 09:461 edit
    It is unsportsmanlike to say you won't, but then do, but he has every right to do so. Quit whining.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 10:03
    When the opponent SAID he wouldn't time you out, he should have lived up to his promise. It was unsporting. Still funny, though.
  4. Joined
    03 Jun '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 10:22
    What can you do about someone who plays two opening moves and then ignores the game.I am reluctant to take time outs.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 10:37

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

6. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 10:38

7. Account suspended
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 10:53

8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 11:15
    yet another pointless thread which wouldn't exist, were the timeouts automatic.
  9. Standard membercoentje
    Plop!
    /dev/null
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 21:16
    oh boohoo, the big mean guy timed me out,

why does everyone keep on whining about this, I time people out all the time, i never get timed out myself though, why.....because i make sure i make my moves in time
  10. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 06:52
    Originally posted by coentje
    oh boohoo, the big mean guy timed me out,

why does everyone keep on whining about this, I time people out all the time, i never get timed out myself though, why.....[b]because i make sure i make my moves in time
    [/b]
    You're missing the point, as are most people in this thread. It isn't the time out itself that makes his opponents behavior unsportsmanlike, it is the fact that the opponent did not keep his promise.
  11. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 06:57

12. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 06:59

13. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 08:261 edit
    Originally posted by 7ate9
    i don't see the point in moaning at being timed out in a game of CHESS, cause it's your OWN FAULT and it ISN'T LIFE.

there are better things to moan about in CHESS, but does moaning really make much difference to people?

1) people who accept a game of CHESS, and then delete. (i have done this)

2) opponents who slow down or not even move. (i have done) think people who constantly moan are more annoying than those you ain't gonna stop anyway.
    I don't think it's ALWAYS correct to say the loser is at fault for losing on a timeout, I'm sure you would agree that it would be crazy to cancel an expensive holiday (assuming internet access would be problematic). If you play in tournaments then you will hit a problem, for example I have played in a few that took about 18 months to finish (particularly the one against one as opposed to groups type) obviously I am talking about making it to the final (which makes it more important not to loss on a timeout). Personally I don't play in tournaments on here anymore (apart form the annual RHP one) which is why I joined gameknot as they have a 'holiday postpone move' facility. I would say however that losing a 'normal' game on a timeout is no big deal as in the grand scheme of things will not effect your rating as a few games out of hundreds is irrelevant, also if your rating falls you will get more points for beating future opponents, in other words your rating will always find it's correct level eventually.
  14. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 08:58

15. Account suspended
    Moves
    16 Aug '06 09:08

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree