1. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    30 Sep '17 16:48
    Experienced players here already know this, but for you newbies, and those returning after a long absence, please be mindful of the fact that winning is many times a product of having the willingness to keep on finding strong moves deep into the game, despite the fact that your opponent does the same, and level positions never seem to end. Sooner or later your opponent (if it's a human) will make at least a small error than can be exploited. Don't be too quick to offer a draw, just because you've not been able to find a win by move 50. If you're not repeating moves, carry on! Winning also takes staying power.
  2. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    30 Sep '17 20:13
    Originally posted by @mchill
    Experienced players here already know this, but for you newbies, and those returning after a long absence, please be mindful of the fact that winning is many times a product of having the willingness to keep on finding strong moves deep into the game, despite the fact that your opponent does the same, and level positions never seem to end. Sooner or later yo ...[text shortened]... ind a win by move 50. If you're not repeating moves, carry on! Winning also takes staying power.
    Sound advice but not the full story I fear.
    I find that the stronger players simply don't make small errors very often although it has been known even at grandmaster level.
    I sometimes find myself in absolutely hopeless positions where I simply can't find a move which is any good and my opponent is slowly choking the life out of me.
    We all have limited time to play chess and in these situations I find it better to resign and concentrate on the games where I at least have a chance.
  3. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    01 Oct '17 01:03
    Originally posted by @venda
    Sound advice but not the full story I fear.
    I find that the stronger players simply don't make small errors very often although it has been known even at grandmaster level.
    I sometimes find myself in absolutely hopeless positions where I simply can't find a move which is any good and my opponent is slowly choking the life out of me.
    We all have limited tim ...[text shortened]... tuations I find it better to resign and concentrate on the games where I at least have a chance.
    I'm sure that's true, but once I've had my daily ration of vino, I feel the need to dispense unsolicited advice. πŸ˜›
  4. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    01 Oct '17 16:31
    I'm sure that's true, but once I've had my daily ration of vino, I feel the need to dispense unsolicited advice. πŸ˜›
    Not chess related, but I've just read in the paper about all the problems that can be created by not getting enough sleep.
    One of the recommendations for a good night's sleep is no caffeine after 12 noon and no alcohol in the evening.
    That's not happening then!!
  5. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    01 Oct '17 17:56
    Your advice to keep playing on in the hope your opponent makes a mistake but this can be wrong in some situations. It can take many moves to exploit being a piece or several pawns down, so why play when down materially? You see people playing on in positions they should have resigned and this is not a pretty sight.
  6. Joined
    12 Jul '08
    Moves
    01 Oct '17 23:16
    The better you are the sooner you see the position is won or lost.
  7. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 06:52
    Originally posted by @congruent
    Your advice to keep playing on in the hope your opponent makes a mistake but this can be wrong in some situations. It can take many moves to exploit being a piece or several pawns down, so why play when down materially? You see people playing on in positions they should have resigned and this is not a pretty sight.
    It can take many moves to exploit being a piece or several pawns down, so why play when down materially?

Please allow me to clarify. I was speaking of playing on when one's position was equal, not when one is down material.
  8. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    02 Oct '17 20:09
    "There's many a slip 'twixt the cup and the lip." I have won several endgames which were dead draws because my opponents weren't on the ball and the tiniest relaxation can tip an even game into a win or a loss. Fatigue can loose a game as surely as a blunder. Be alert, that's my advice.
  9. Joined
    19 Aug '12
    Moves
    04 Oct '17 07:38
    It can take many moves to exploit being a piece or several pawns down, so why play when down materially?

Please allow me to clarify. I was speaking of playing on when one's position was equal, not when one is down material.
    OK thanks for clarifying.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree