1. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 09:55
    Tried searchin on the internet for the standard time controls for a normal tournament, but coming up with blanks thus far.

I can find time controls for blitz/bullet, but lacking on information for a typical traditional OTB tournament.
  2. Joined
    04 Jul '06
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 10:02
    there is some STD Bunch league I think, and they play games over FICS or ICC...
    just create a fics account, and ask in help channel which is the channel for long games, the Service Representatives there will point you to the right place/persons.
  3. Joined
    12 Mar '03
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 10:25
    There are several time control systems for 'standard' games. Many GM tournaments (like Morelia-Linares currently going on) have 2 hours for the first 40 moves, 1 hour for the next 20 and 30 minutes for the rest of the game. In some tournaments, there is an additional 30 seconds per move on the last part of the game.

FIDE official tournaments (Chess Olympiad, World Championship, zonal and interzonal, ....) have 1h30' for the first 40 moves followed by 30 minutes for the rest of the game with 30 seconds addition for each move, starting move one.
  4. Joined
    15 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 10:27
    Found some unofficial numbers.

Apparantly FIDE uses 90 min/40 moves + 30 s/additional move nowadays, but the following other time controls have been used.

90 min/40 moves + 30 min/each 30 additional moves.
    2-2.5 hrs /40 moves + ?
    (old tournaments)

And the page where I got it suggested perhaps 60 mins/40 moves + 1 min incremental as a fairly good set.

At the very least, I have satisfied my curiosity.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree