1. Subscriberjoesheppe
    Lesser Poobah
    Northern California
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 08:49
    Some stunt, but when the guy doing it generally moved at a rate of once per week, and always at the eleventh hour of the time control, it smacks of poor sportsmanship. Watching him now for some time, I'd be surprised if he had a good excuse.
    And if in fact he does NOT have a good excuse, then I'd really like to see this bad actor removed from the site - pronto.

I won't name him just yet, but some of you doubtless know who I'm talking about.
  2. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 10:11
    Originally posted by joesheppe
    Some stunt, but when the guy doing it generally moved at a rate of once per week, and always at the eleventh hour of the time control, it smacks of poor sportsmanship. Watching him now for some time, I'd be surprised if he had a good excuse.
    And if in fact he does NOT have a good excuse, then I'd really like to see this bad actor removed from the site - pronto.

I won't name him just yet, but some of you doubtless know who I'm talking about.
    When you see the skull, click it. That would pretty much do it.
    If you don't see the skull, it's because he is not violating any rules, but plays according to the agreement between you and him. To the edge, okay, but not over the edge.
  3. gumtree
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 10:37
    Originally posted by FabianFnas
    When you see the skull, click it. That would pretty much do it.
    If you don't see the skull, it's because he is not violating any rules, but plays according to the agreement between you and him. To the edge, okay, but not over the edge.
    On other sites time forfeit is taken much more seriously. I suppose this is because when one accepts a game (or signs up for a tournament) there is an expectation that the opponent will provide as good a game as he is able. On more serious sites forfeiting a game through time carries severe penalties. As an example, Lechenicher SchachServer imposes a two week suspension for each time forfeit. If it is judged the player forfeited in a lost position an additional two week suspension is imposed.

Whether that sort of thing would (or could) work here I don't know. The Lechenicher SchachServer only allows play in tournaments rather than the variety of games that can be had here. It is also more akin to traditional correspondence chess than this site. I would think that something similar to the suspension system would help reduce time forfeits by imposing a penalty in addition to loss of game and rating points.
  4. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 12:23
    Originally posted by Diophantus
    On other sites time forfeit is taken much more seriously. I suppose this is because when one accepts a game (or signs up for a tournament) there is an expectation that the opponent will provide as good a game as he is able. On more serious sites forfeiting a game through time carries severe penalties. As an example, Lechenicher SchachServer imposes a two ...[text shortened]... help reduce time forfeits by imposing a penalty in addition to loss of game and rating points.
    I interprete "when the guy doing it generally moved at a rate of once per week, and always at the eleventh hour of the time control" that he keeps the times okay, but playing slow as a honeybear. Then we're not talking about being skulled out, any misuse of the rules, or anything.

People can actually play as slow as they want, only they play within the time limits, right? If they're not keeping times they are skulled out, but that's a different qeustion, right?
  5. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 12:271 edit

How does it 'smack of poor sprotsmanship'?

The player is playing within the agreed time controls, i generally leave my games till the last day, is that poor sprtosmanship from me? They can move when they like, and if they exceed the time limits, click the skull. I fail to see the point here.

Why should this player be removed from the site becasue you don't like when they move?
  6. gumtree
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 12:33
    I interprete "when the guy doing it generally moved at a rate of once per week, and always at the eleventh hour of the time control" that he keeps the times okay, but playing slow as a honeybear. Then we're not talking about being skulled out, any misuse of the rules, or anything.

People can actually play as slow as they want, only they play within the ...[text shortened]... If they're not keeping times they are skulled out, but that's a different qeustion, right?
    I was looking at the thread title and inferred that someone had timed out in 122 games. That is generally regarded as poor sportsmanship elsewhere but playing within the time controls cannot be considered poor sportsmanship. I am told that always leaving a move to the last moment in a losing game is penalised in some way on chess.com but that seems silly, a player either obeys the rules or he doesn't.
  7. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 12:37
    I was looking at the thread title and inferred that someone had timed out in 122 games. That is generally regarded as poor sportsmanship elsewhere but playing within the time controls cannot be considered poor sportsmanship. I am told that always leaving a move to the last moment in a losing game is penalised in some way on chess.com but that seems silly, a player either obeys the rules or he doesn't.
    There is a term: 'sandbagger'. Those are poor sportsmen. Is it a good idea to punish them? If so, how should the rule for that be written?

But playing slow? No, they have probably their reason to do so.
  8. gumtree
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 13:01
    There is a term: 'sandbagger'. Those are poor sportsmen. Is it a good idea to punish them? If so, how should the rule for that be written?

But playing slow? No, they have probably their reason to do so.
    Probably the same reason as me. I only move when I feel I am able to work out the best move accurately. I won't move if I have been at work for 12 hours (too tired) or if I am ill. However, I am not going to time out. If necessary I will make a move even though I feel I am not fit to decide the best move. As far as I can tell the reason some other sites suspend players who time forfeit is actually because time forfeits cause more work for the site staff/admin rather than any inconvenience to the opponent. On this site we have an automated system that just works.
  9. Standard memberpeacedog
    Highlander
    SEAsia
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 13:51
    I could be wrong(no really it happens sometimes) but isnt the origonal poster talking about the 122 that were timed out? It is a bit off for someone to do that intensionally. But real life means it can happen unintensionally sometimes.

Or with a stupid mistake. Like I did a few days ago. Joined what I thought was a 1&7 tourn, turned out it was a 1&0 and timed out in a dozen or so games :-(
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 13:56
    On this site we have an automated system that just works.
    And works well too.

If my clan-leader think I spoil too many challenges because of times out, he has the right to throw me out. Same goes for club-leaders. In sieges I lose my place. In ladders I sink. In regular tournaments however, I just lose the games and rating points.

I don't like when people are underrated due to a massive buch of time outs. I don't like to be the one to give them my hard earned points. But I don't mind to time them out and get free points, so I guess, I have a balance.
  11. Joined
    24 Jun '08
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 15:45
    And works well too.

If my clan-leader think I spoil too many challenges because of times out, he has the right to throw me out. Same goes for club-leaders. In sieges I lose my place. In ladders I sink. In regular tournaments however, I just lose the games and rating points.

I don't like when people are underrated due to a massive buch of time outs. ...[text shortened]... points. But I don't mind to time them out and get free points, so I guess, I have a balance.
    Or when they're overrated through silicon use.
  12. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 15:47
    Originally posted by ratherbighammer
    Or when they're overrated through silicon use.
    Well, true. But I rather lose to a overrated opponent, than an underrated.
  13. Subscriberjoesheppe
    Lesser Poobah
    Northern California
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 16:10
    Originally posted by Proper Knob
    How does it 'smack of poor sprotsmanship'?

The player is playing within the agreed time controls, i generally leave my games till the last day, is that poor sprtosmanship from me? They can move when they like, and if they exceed the time limits, click the skull. I fail to see the point here.

Why should this player be removed from the site becasue you don't like when they move?
    Did you read the title, Proper Knob?

This deadbeat dude is right now timing out of a whole bunch of games. Why? If you leave all your moves until the last few hours they're due, then if you get sick or have to attend to something or just have a snit, your games time-out like dominoes.

Is that against the rules? No! But it would piss you off if you sunk four months into one frickin' game, only to see it timed out in a playable position because some idiot plays a crapload of games and likes to make people wait! Try imagining yourself on the other side of that.
  14. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 18:471 edit
    Did you read the title, Proper Knob?

This deadbeat dude is right now timing out of a whole bunch of games. Why? If you leave all your moves until the last few hours they're due, then if you get sick or have to attend to something or just have a snit, your games time-out like dominoes.

Is that against the rules? No! But it would piss you off if you s load of games and likes to make people wait! Try imagining yourself on the other side of that.
    Well, it doesn't piss me off if I sink 4 months into a game, and then the opponent makes some godawful move and hands me the game on a silver platter, so I fail to see why I would be pissed if he times out. In fact, I love eating skulls - they're delicious.

Edit: If you find yourself waiting for moves too often, consider a) playing fast time controls or b) playing more concurrent games.
  15. Subscriberjoesheppe
    Lesser Poobah
    Northern California
    Moves
    12 Feb '10 18:52
    Most of us play for points. Figure it out. Is that a dunce cap you're wearing in the photo?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree