1. Coventry
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 20:42
    Everything that has been said so far is right. The only thing I would add is DON'T RUSH! Check the position one more time before you finally move, just in case you missed anything.
  2. Standard memberBlotto
    red crossin box
    up on a creek
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 02:28
    just be a thug and stand over them.
  3. Mumbai, India
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 03:56
    Originally posted by Gorgar
    You have more chances to draw or win back pawns with pieces on the board.
    A simple example: K+B+p vs K+B is most likely a draw while without the bishops you need to gain the opposition in order to draw.
    Of course it always depends on the position.If you can trade all the pieces and pawns leaving your opponent with 1 pawn while you can take the opposition then,by all means,do so.
    Thanks Gorgar! 🙂
  4. Big D
    Moves
    08 Aug '06 16:50
    This may sound rudimentary, but you must master the differences between Bishops and Knights. When I started out, the Knight seemed much more formidable to me, with its irrational movement and its ability to fork. Once I got past my initial shock and awe of the steed, I gradually learned that Bishops are the stronger of the two minor pieces (in most instances). After much study of master games, I quit exchanging purposely and gradually learned how to capitalize on the power of the two Bishops (Steinitz was the first to recognize their strength) or how to create an ending that favored the Bishop. After playing through Chigorin’s games, I learned to recognize those exceptional positions where the Knight dominates the Bishop. Later, I learned B vs. B endings and Kt vs. Kt endings. From there, I studied R + B vs. R + Kt endings where two former World Champions had different perceptions about which was stronger. Tigran Petrosian preferred positions where the R + Kt dominated the R + B, while Bobby Fischer preferred positions where the R + B mastered the R + Kt. Study of the endings played by these two champions is invaluable and will go a long way toward improving your game.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree