1. Sandwich Land
    Moves
    05 Aug '06 00:26
    Ok I thought this might be an OK idea for a topic. Post general tips of chess advice. This could be really useful for beginners to read and use ideas. Ill give some to start the topic off.

From http://michael-boyd.net/tips/

12 Tips to Improve Your Chess

Chess is all about strategy and tactics. Each chess player commands an army of 16. In beginning players bring out their forces to prepare for combat. Players maneuver to carry out attacks and counterattacks. At the end of the game there are fewer pawns and pieces left on the board. This is when it's safe for the king to come out and take part in the battle. Here are some tips to improve your chess game.

1. Planning. Is important that you plan your attack. Your opponent will have an easy time defending themselves if you attack here in one move and do something totally different in the next. All the pieces must work together to be effective. Think of your chess men as a team and you are the coach. They must work together using their strengths and weaknesses to support each other.

2. Know the values that you place on your pieces. Consider carefully any time that you think about giving up one of your pieces to your opponent.

3. Pay attention to what your opponent is doing. Every time your opponent moves stop and think about what their strategy might be. Are there any threats that you should be on the watch out for? Is one of your men in danger? The only to successfully defend yourself is to understand what your opponent is doing.

4. Develop quickly and well. Timing is very important in chess. If your men are ready for action and to move quickly you'll be able to control the course of the game.

5. Keep your king safe at all times. The object of the game is to capture the king. Your opponent is seeking to hunt down and capture your king. Make sure you have a plan to protect your king.

6. Always make the best possible move. You should ask yourself some questions before making a move. Will this move improve my position by increasing the effectiveness of my piece? Does this move help to defend against my opponents threats?

7. If it is pawn, consider how you can keep it protected from attack.

8. If it is another piece that you're moving consider whether the enemy can drive it away.

9. The alert. Once you've reached a good strong position in the game it is important that you do not relax. This is a common mistake. You must always be watching for your opponents threats.

10. Know when to trade pieces. The best time to trade pieces is when you can capture a piece worth more than the one you're giving up.

11. Consider the end of the game. Always remember that every move you make can affect your chances in the end game.

12. Control the center. The player that controls the four squares in the center of the board will have the advantage in the game.

If you practice and consider these tips you'll improve your chess game.
  2. Big D
    Moves
    05 Aug '06 01:23
    The whole game revolves around this important principle: Gang up on'em and smush'em.
  3. washington
    Moves
    05 Aug '06 03:08
    when you have a winning position elimenate enemy threats such as if you have a queen and a rook vs a rook dont allow a bank rank mate push up a king pawn. or elimenate knight outposts or open diagionals for bishops etc etc.
  4. USA
    Moves
    05 Aug '06 03:41
    My main tip is to find a weakness, and pile up on it. If you can't find one, make one!
  5. Standard memberHomerJSimpson
    Renouned Grob Killer
    Moves
    06 Aug '06 02:19
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    The whole game revolves around this important principle: Gang up on'em and smush'em.
    Can you elaborate a little?
  6. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    06 Aug '06 02:22
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    HOw much elaboration could possibly be made on that point?

My Tip: don't drop pieces. =)
  7. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 00:13
    my tip: watered down/unsweetened apple juice can be great for your brain during a game. But sweetened apple juice has a good amount of sugar and can turn you into a 200 ELO vegetable.
  8. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 03:55
    Originally posted by Caro Kann

7. If it is pawn, consider how you can keep it protected from attack.
    ?
  9. Standard memberGrandmouster
    ChessObsessed
    Earth
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 04:37
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    LOL..thats how i learned...😀😀😀
    After playing for many years, i have come to the conclusion that you need to "first learn to make combinations"
    Middlegame does determine the results.
    Of course tactics can be found in opening and endgames, but after watching the engines dominate top GMs, even they admit, its all about the tactics!
  10. Mumbai, India
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 10:18
    Trade equal pieces if you can double the pawns of the opponent in one line.
  11. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 10:52
    Always look for tactics.At every move!First look for the most "impossible" move.You might be surprised at how often you can sac a piece for a pawn and regain it a few moves later coming out a pawn or two up,maybe even a piece.Especially look for capturing a defended minor piece with a rook or queen,those get overlooked the most.Keep an eye out for knight forks!

If your position is worse try to avoid trading pieces and instead mix things up,make it difficult in an attempt to drown your opponent in the tactical swamp.Of course that cuts both ways but hey,your position was worse anyway 😉

In the endgame if you're down pawn(s) trade pawns and keep the pieces on the board.If you're up pawn(s) trade pieces not pawns.

In general keep in mind people are sloppy,especially when they're up material and/or think they have the better position and are easily winning.There lies your chance.Don't be afraid to sacrifice.

Go for glory or die trying! 😀
  12. Big D
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 14:03
    Originally posted by HomerJSimpson
    In other words, probe, create or find two weakness and attack them. Eventually, the defender, either from lack of space or piece co-ordination, will be unable to protect both weakness and you will gain an important square, outpost, piece, etc.
  13. Mumbai, India
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 16:251 edit
    Originally posted by Gorgar
    In the endgame if you're down pawn(s) trade pawns and keep the pieces on the board.If you're up pawn(s) trade pieces not pawns.

Why is that so? I am not criticizing or something, I am just curious! 🙂
  14. Joined
    06 Jul '06
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 17:01
    Originally posted by yashsr
    You have more chances to draw or win back pawns with pieces on the board.
    A simple example: K+B+p vs K+B is most likely a draw while without the bishops you need to gain the opposition in order to draw.
    Of course it always depends on the position.If you can trade all the pieces and pawns leaving your opponent with 1 pawn while you can take the opposition then,by all means,do so.
  15. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    07 Aug '06 19:13
    Originally posted by Caro Kann
    Ok I thought this might be an OK idea for a topic. Post general tips of chess advice. This could be really useful for beginners to read and use ideas. Ill give some to start the topic off.

From http://michael-boyd.net/tips/

[b]12 Tips to Improve Your Chess

Chess is all about strategy and tactics. Each chess player commands an army of 16. In be ...[text shortened]... ge in the game.

If you practice and consider these tips you'll improve your chess game.[/b]
    Tactics, tactics, tactics. 99% iof chess is tactics. Study tactics. At the class level (0 - 1800 rating), most all games are decided by the final and decisive tactical blow.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree