Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    04 Sep '09 15:36
    priceless!

    http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/drunken-tkachiev-falls-asleep-behind-the-board-makes-the-headlines/
  2. 04 Sep '09 15:49
  3. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    04 Sep '09 16:02
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    Thread 118682
    yeah, I did look for a relevant topic, but didn't see one so created this.
  4. 04 Sep '09 16:09
    Originally posted by wormwood
    priceless!

    http://www.chessvibes.com/reports/drunken-tkachiev-falls-asleep-behind-the-board-makes-the-headlines/
    lol, perhaps he was dreaming of making the twelve move! but to be carried out , man you think hed been playing blitz at Sandy bells bar instead of a top tournament!
  5. 04 Sep '09 16:11
    The picture of Tkachiev drunk is priceless. Imagine if wives of chess players saw it, they might use it as ammunition against chess players. What was Tkachiev doing drunk in India. Isn't it taboo to be drunk in that part of the world and people are flogged for it or where is it a model is being flogged for boozing?
  6. 04 Sep '09 16:15 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by CCNoob
    The picture of Tkachiev drunk is priceless. Imagine if wives of chess players saw it, they might use it as ammunition against chess players. What was Tkachiev doing drunk in India. Isn't it taboo to be drunk in that part of the world and people are flogged for it or where is it a model is being flogged for boozing?
    i think you are mistaking India with Pakistan, and even perhaps Hindus with Muslims. the place you are thinking of is Malaysia, which is an island miles away.
  7. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    04 Sep '09 16:17
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    lol, perhaps he was dreaming of making the twelve move! but to be carried out , man you think hed been playing blitz at Sandy bells bar instead of a top tournament!
    he's obviously a man with deep appreciation for chess tradition, traveling in the footsteps of alekhine & co.
  8. Standard member Nowakowski
    10. O-O
    04 Sep '09 16:20
    Originally posted by wormwood
    he's obviously a man with deep appreciation for chess tradition, traveling in the footsteps of alekhine & co.
    many of us have very deep appreciation for this tradition.
  9. 04 Sep '09 16:22
    All reports seem to state something along the lines: Drunk grandmaster checkmated after dozing off. What a nonsense, I'd guess that the TD just forfeited the game in his opponent's favour.
  10. 04 Sep '09 16:27
    Originally posted by wormwood
    he's obviously a man with deep appreciation for chess tradition, traveling in the footsteps of alekhine & co.
    He won't be laughing if he carries on at the rate he is, and needs a liver transplant and the Doctors say he has to be off booze for 6 months before getting the transplant. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8220301.stm
  11. 04 Sep '09 16:41 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by CCNoob
    The picture of Tkachiev drunk is priceless. Imagine if wives of chess players saw it, they might use it as ammunition against chess players. What was Tkachiev doing drunk in India. Isn't it taboo to be drunk in that part of the world and people are flogged for it or where is it a model is being flogged for boozing?
    Seems like your understanding of the east is super rich.
  12. 04 Sep '09 16:41
    Originally posted by wormwood
    he's obviously a man with deep appreciation for chess tradition, traveling in the footsteps of alekhine & co.
    Lol, yes, i think old Alekhine was wasted at the board once or twice as well! and i am sure Tal also, although i have not heard of any instances where one had to be literally carried out after the eleventh move....priceless indeed.
  13. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    04 Sep '09 16:46
    Originally posted by heinzkat
    All reports seem to state something along the lines: Drunk grandmaster checkmated after dozing off. What a nonsense, I'd guess that the TD just forfeited the game in his opponent's favour.
    apparently he timed out and they escorted/dragged him off.
  14. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    04 Sep '09 16:51
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    Lol, yes, i think old Alekhine was wasted at the board once or twice as well! and i am sure Tal also, although i have not heard of any instances where one had to be literally carried out after the eleventh move....priceless indeed.
    wasn't it some WC match where alekhine screwed up the first game, got pissed off about it, and drank through all the remaining games? tkachiev still needs to step up his drinking game to run with the big dogs.
  15. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    04 Sep '09 16:55
    Originally posted by CCNoob
    He won't be laughing if he carries on at the rate he is, and needs a liver transplant and the Doctors say he has to be off booze for 6 months before getting the transplant. See http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/8220301.stm
    I don't know where you got that. tkachiev is not really old enough to have drunk his liver off. he's still got at least 10-20 years of heavy boozing to get there.