1. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '09 16:59
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I don't know where you got that. tkachiev is not really old enough to have drunk his liver off. he's still got at least 10-20 years of heavy boozing to get there.
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=79407
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    04 Sep '09 17:30
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessplayer?pid=79407
    "He died of tuberculosis..."
  3. Joined
    14 May '09
    Moves
    04 Sep '09 18:10
    I don't know where you got that. tkachiev is not really old enough to have drunk his liver off. he's still got at least 10-20 years of heavy boozing to get there.
    The teenager is also not old enough to drink his liver off but it only took one weekend for the teenager to kill his liver. Destroying your kidneys or liver does not need decades of abuse.
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    04 Sep '09 18:21
    Originally posted by CCNoob
    The teenager is also not old enough to drink his liver off but it only took one weekend for the teenager to kill his liver. Destroying your kidneys or liver does not need decades of abuse.
    sure it did. you can bet your ass that teenager's been doing something much more toxic than alcohol to finish his liver off. probably sniffing something. OR he has some kind of liver disease unrelated to alcohol.

with a healthy liver, you can't drink enough to kill it without dying from respiratory paralysis first. alcohol is simply not toxic enough.
  5. Joined
    14 May '09
    Moves
    04 Sep '09 18:36
    sure it did. you can bet your ass that teenager's been doing something much more toxic than alcohol to finish his liver off. probably sniffing something. OR he has some kind of liver disease unrelated to alcohol.

with a healthy liver, you can't drink enough to kill it without dying from respiratory paralysis first. alcohol is simply not toxic enough.
    You should read the article with a pair of magnifying glasses. He destroyed his liver after a weekend of 30 cans of lager. There is no mention of sniffing or anything else in the article.

Why are you on the defensive when alcohol abuse is mentioned? You don't happen to down too many units do you? When people start being un-nerved by stories like this it could mean a "close call to home" was made. 😉
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Sep '09 18:431 edit
    Why are you on the defensive when alcohol abuse is mentioned?
    no need to get personal. it does seem strange that you can destroy your liver with light beer in one weekend. it should get a ?! notation. 🙂
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '09 18:56
    "He died of tuberculosis..."
    Yeah, good point. I was trying to find a link to the eastern european grandmaster who died recently of liver failure due to alcohol abuse, but couldn't find it quickly and so made do with Mr De Vere without reading it carefully enough.
  8. Joined
    14 May '09
    Moves
    04 Sep '09 18:59
    Originally posted by philidor position
    no need to get personal. it does seem strange that you can destroy your liver with light beer in one weekend. it should get a ?! notation. 🙂
    I'm not getting personal. In fact you are the one who claimed "Seems like your understanding of the east is super rich.". Your reading comprehension is super-rich if you need to introduce/fabricate the claim he was sniffing something to a case of simple acute liver failure. Tell me if alcohol is not listed as causing acute liver failure http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_liver_failure
  9. Joined
    08 Aug '09
    Moves
    04 Sep '09 20:02
    I'm not getting personal. In fact you are the one who claimed [b]"Seems like your understanding of the east is super rich.". Your reading comprehension is super-rich if you need to introduce/fabricate the claim he was sniffing something to a case of simple acute liver failure. Tell me if alcohol is not listed as causing acute liver failure http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acute_liver_failure[/b]
    Well, dumbass, the answer you seek is laughably simple.... *WOOOSH*
  10. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    04 Sep '09 20:09
    You should read the article with a pair of magnifying glasses. He destroyed his liver after a weekend of 30 cans of lager. There is no mention of sniffing or anything else in the article.

Why are you on the defensive when alcohol abuse is mentioned? You don't happen to down too many units do you? When people start being un-nerved by stories like this it could mean a "close call to home" was made. 😉
    I drink maybe once a month. my mother was an alcoholic and passed away a year ago. I have no reason to be defensive, in fact quite the opposite.

the article is obviously omitting facts either to paint a picture of a poor kid struggling against the evil system, or (more likely) the real background to the case is kept hidden because it would affect the kid's chances of getting the liver and cause insurance problems.

there's no way the story about liver failure over two days of pretty normal weekend partying is true. it's like claiming a ufo abducted him and experimented on his liver.
  11. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    04 Sep '09 20:121 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Yeah, good point. I was trying to find a link to the eastern european grandmaster who died recently of liver failure due to alcohol abuse, but couldn't find it quickly and so made do with Mr De Vere without reading it carefully enough.
    the guy who moved to u.s.? died maybe a year ago? can't rember his name... started with 'W' I think? polish or latvian or something like that originally? wozniak? something like that.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Sep '09 20:302 edits
    I drink maybe once a month. my mother was an alcoholic and passed away a year ago. I have no reason to be defensive, in fact quite the opposite.

the article is obviously omitting facts either to paint a picture of a poor kid struggling against the evil system, or (more likely) the real background to the case is kept hidden because it would affect the kid eekend partying is true. it's like claiming a ufo abducted him and experimented on his liver.
    the west of Scotland and Ireland has the worst rates of alcohol abuse i think in Europe. It used to be the Finns i think (perhaps you can verify this wormwood), but they somehow managed to turn things around!
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    04 Sep '09 20:54
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    It used to be the Finns i think (perhaps you can verify this wormwood), but they somehow managed to turn things around!
    maybe it's the global warming. 🙂

(sorry to hear that about your mother by the way wormwood).
  14. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    04 Sep '09 21:02
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    the west of Scotland and Ireland has the worst rates of alcohol abuse i think in Europe. It used to be the Finns i think (perhaps you can verify this wormwood), but they somehow managed to turn things around!
    you probably got the #1 spot when I stopped drinking properly. 🙂
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Sep '09 21:08
    you probably got the #1 spot when I stopped drinking properly. 🙂
    What could possibly motivate you to stop!? 😲

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree