1. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 07:03

This is a position reached after 1.e4 c5 2.c4 Nc6 3.Nf3. If I play g6, the line transposes into a familiar Maroczy bind position. In such positions, the statistics definitely favor White. (not quite sure why) However, if I play the best move by theory (e5) I will be in a position I am not familiar with. What should I do? Is the Maroczy bind really that tough of a beast (the final lines of it the way I play it lead to equality) that I should avoid it despite being familiar with it? Should I just learn e5? What would you do?
  2. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 12:35
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    [fen]r1bqkbnr/pp1ppppp/2n5/2p5/2P1P3/5N2/PP1P1PPP/RNBQKB1R b KQkq - 2 3[/fen]

This is a position reached after 1.e4 c5 2.c4 Nc6 3.Nf3. If I play g6, the line transposes into a familiar Maroczy bind position. In such positions, the statistics definitely favor White. (not quite sure why) However, if I play the best move by theory (e5) I will be in a posi ...[text shortened]... hat I should avoid it despite being familiar with it? Should I just learn e5? What would you do?
    If you can reach equality by playng g6 and you are comfortable with g6, why waste time learning a new line?
  3. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    29 Mar '06 20:31
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    [fen]r1bqkbnr/pp1ppppp/2n5/2p5/2P1P3/5N2/PP1P1PPP/RNBQKB1R b KQkq - 2 3[/fen]

This is a position reached after 1.e4 c5 2.c4 Nc6 3.Nf3. If I play g6, the line transposes into a familiar Maroczy bind position. In such positions, the statistics definitely favor White. (not quite sure why) However, if I play the best move by theory (e5) I will be in a posi ...[text shortened]... hat I should avoid it despite being familiar with it? Should I just learn e5? What would you do?
    Get a db and check out the game from that position. Find the one you are comfortable with and play that line.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree