1. e4
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 21:33
    Blog 4

Latest blog from the planet greenpawn.

Post of the week - RHP Chess Clock - 4 Brillaint wrap ups.

Please post any comments in this thread.
  2. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 21:48
    stephensmith is my hero for the apocalyptic mate.
  3. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 22:16
    My addition: Game 7148258
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 22:25
    Now that's entertainment! Now that clandarkfire has added a cool one, others are going to add to this thread, and I'm going to have to check back hourly!

I'm almost at the point where I WANT someone to drag me out so I can participate in the chess finger-painting!
  5. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 22:28
    Here's another one I found: Game 7004487

I see the artist has been banned though; I'd don't know why.
  6. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    19 Jul '10 22:37
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    Here's another one I found: Game 7004487

I see the artist has been banned though; I'd don't know why.
    I think that is one that I wouldn't mind my opponent forcing me to play out, simply because having to come back to the position that many times would really cement the B&N vs K into my mind.

I don't care about that ending all that much per se ( I have played over 1000 USCF OTB tournament games without it EVER occuring, or even being a possibility that I recall), but the choreography would be good tactical practice with minor pieces.
  7. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    20 Jul '10 00:30
    My addition: Game 7148258
    quoted for awesomeness!
  8. Joined
    24 Jun '10
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 03:03
    Just wanted to show my support! I read your latest entry with fascination so I really hope you stick with it. Your blog is great for the community too I hope you realize that. So many of us are humorless nerds... *sob*
  9. Joined
    17 Dec '07
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 03:17
    Black lost two minor pieces to blindness. But with less pieces on the board, your remaining pieces have that much more mobility, like in billiards; or at least that's what I tell myself.

Black keeps posing questions until suddenly he has won.

10. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 13:011 edit
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I think that is one that I wouldn't mind my opponent forcing me to play out, simply because having to come back to the position that many times would really cement the B&N vs K into my mind.

I don't care about that ending all that much per se ( I have played over 1000 USCF OTB tournament games without it EVER occuring, or even being a possibility that I recall), but the choreography would be good tactical practice with minor pieces.
    As I've said before - learn ALL basic endings. I've won that one before in blitz. It is not hard. (Apparently, nothing is hard if you cheat but you should be able to learn that mate in a couple of days work and your increased understanding of the cooperation of B + N is worth the effort.)

[People that say you don't need to learn it are just too lazy to do the work.]
  11. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 13:362 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

12. Standard memberclandarkfire
    Grammar Nazi
    Auschwitz
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 17:37
    Originally posted by TerrierJack

[People that say you don't need to learn it are just too lazy to do the work.]
    I'm too lazy to do the work.

Of course, you could argue that your time would be better spent learning something else. (If you're doing endings, rook endings seem most applicable.)
  13. Joined
    07 Mar '09
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 17:53

Of course, you could argue that your time would be better spent learning something else. (If you're doing endings, rook endings seem most applicable.)
    Yeah, I understand. Why would you need to know how a N and a B can work together? It is not like you start every game having Ns and Bs. I usually try to start with 6 Rooks.
  14. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 18:19

I was thinking the same thing (that time on endings is most efficiently spent on endings more likely to actually be encountered, and it is less efficiently spent on endings less likely to be encountered), but I bit my tongue.

Six rooks would be nice, but I have spent some time on rook endings, and am now happy to report that I only need one to deliver mate (king sold separately).
  15. Pale Blue Dot
    Moves
    21 Jul '10 18:26
    One beneficial aspect of learning the B+N mate is that you're forced to look at which squares the pieces cover and can cover over the next few moves; rather than staring blankly at the squares the pieces are on. Your thinking also becomes more purposeful as you picture the mate and then work towards it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree