1. under your bed
    Moves
    03 Feb '15 22:472 edits
    hee hee...

Yes FIDE actually offer official online titles now..

Actually I became an 'AIM' (Arena IM) by playing 100 blitz games maintained over 1700... to get the GM title (AGM) you need to constantly maintain 2000elo for 100 games... before you poo-poo it's a bit more tricky than it sounds..

site here:

http://arena.myfide.net/ratings-and-titles/titles.aspx

All the other live blitz sites (chess.com etc) must be be dead meat long term once this takes off, turn based sites like this should be fine.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    03 Feb '15 23:53
    That's nuthin' I'm a GM now, I sold a dirt bike and did some lawn work and now FIDE declared me a supar online GM maxStore .
  3. under your bed
    Moves
    04 Feb '15 00:18
    congrats to u. at leastu got something to show over the brain dead patzers here.
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    04 Feb '15 01:38
    false advertising
  5. Standard memberSchlecter
    The King of Board
    Solar System
    Moves
    04 Feb '15 03:521 edit
    nice idea of FIDE. in that way I will be an Arena Candidate Master .
    -
    "Acquiring an Arena title requires a continuous rating over the title's rating threshold for a number of games. The Arena Grand Master (to-become) has to remain continuously for a certain number of games over 2000 Elo points, the Arena International Master over 1700, the Arena FIDE Master over 1400 and the Arena Candidate Master must remain over 1100 Elo points. The number of games vary according to the time control. 50 games for rapid play, 100 games for Blitz and 150 games for Bullet time control. There are separate counters for each time control category and the titles can be achieved in any of the three time controls. When a player drops under the threshold (Elo points mentioned above are permitted) his/her counter for the specified title, for the specified time control turns to zero.
    "
  6. e4
    Moves
    04 Feb '15 05:05
    Congratulations plopzilla IM.

OK here is the scam....I mean plan.

I open up my club 'Bates Motel' to 100 wide-eyed guys.

We all join the FIDE site and fix it by throwing games so
    at least one of the members get a GM title once a week.

After a year we will all be FIDE Arena GM's and can start
    demanding appearance fees everytime we play in league matches.
  7. under your bed
    Moves
    04 Feb '15 09:241 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

Correct. I see this is the main fly in the ointment because at the end of the day its impossible to know who's really at the other end of the mouse unless some sort of biometric security is introduced.

By the way, can I have IM next to my username from now on and I expect game fees 😉
  8. SubscriberRagwort
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    04 Feb '15 10:42
    Originally posted by plopzilla
    Correct. I see this is the main fly in the ointment because at the end of the day its impossible to know who's really at the other end of the mouse unless some sort of biometric security is introduced.

By the way, can I have IM next to my username from now on and I expect game fees 😉
    So how have you found it to play on the site and do the much trumpeted anti cheating measures seem up to the mark and worth the membership fee?
  9. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    04 Feb '15 11:17
    FIDE really is a complete joke of an organisation. I'm quite relieved that chess doesn't have a higher profile with the public as otherwise I'd have to explain embarrassments like this to my friends and family.
  10. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    04 Feb '15 15:52
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    FIDE really is a complete joke of an organisation. I'm quite relieved that chess doesn't have a higher profile with the public as otherwise I'd have to explain embarrassments like this to my friends and family.
    FIDE really is a complete joke of an organisation <---> chess doesn't have a higher profile with the public

Not a coincidence.
  11. Joined
    12 Nov '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '15 17:43
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

Who's scamming who in this situation? The 100 AGM's or FIDE who just pocketed 5000 euros for title fees.
  12. under your bed
    Moves
    04 Feb '15 18:492 edits
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    So how have you found it to play on the site and do the much trumpeted anti cheating measures seem up to the mark and worth the membership fee?
    The site is fine. I've been there since the start and no problems. The interface is simple.

Personally I only play blitz and bullet chess because I think that rapid (15min plus) is easily open to cheating via opening books/engines etc as there is time to do it in a subtle way. Cheating in the faster time controls is very hard.

I prefer to play rapid OTB

Its £20 for a years membership can't grumble. Prefer it chess.com and chesscube which is full of immature winging chess bitches - if you enjoy playign blitz chess online for nowt to show for it years down the line then fill your boots. Of course timeforchess.com is the daddy for turn-based chess 🙂
  13. e4
    Moves
    04 Feb '15 18:54
    It's 25 Euro's each (under the current ROE that is £18.75)
    The total FIDE will get is £1,875.

Meanwhile we will all be chess Grandmasters with the documentation to prove it.

£18.75 is not much to pay. A Chess book costs £19.95.

You could legally advertise yourself as a Chess
    Grandmaster and charge £20.00 per hour for lessons.

🙂
  14. under your bed
    Moves
    04 Feb '15 18:55
    As for the rest of you moaning about 1000's of new online GM's if its that easy why don't you put your money where your mouth is and risk a whole £20 and do it.. you'll find getting and maintaining a 2000 rating for 150 games bit harder than you think. If you don't fin dit hard then I would assume you are already at 2200+ FIDE level and thus would already have a title.

FIDE make no bones about these titles being for the Online Arena and amateur players.

I will say though I think they should have been about 150+ elo higher for each.
  15. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    05 Feb '15 18:30
    Congratulations to Plopzilla - my criticisms aren't directed at you specifically - but I don't understand why an 1100, 1400 player etc. should be offered a title of any kind, on any platform, period. This is the worst kind of money grab, and is a completely despicable movement by FIDE in my opinion.

I maintain ratings on ICC in the 2000-2300 range, ratings on Chess24 in the 2250-2400 range, and have an ICCF rating around 2150 after 32 games or so, and I will admit to anyone that in the grand scheme of things, I'm crap at this game and don't deserve a FIDE title of any kind at the moment. An 1100 (unless the rating scales around really, really, really, deflated) is barely better than a random passerby off the street that plays for fun once a week or so. Giving a 1400 an "Online FM" title is absolute poppycock.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree