1. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 02:421 edit
    Originally posted by st00p1dfac3
    Ok - I tried the make fun of myself get out of this argument thing, but you're obviously having none of it. So, I'll respond one last time, hopefully.

So, to begin with - the touch move rule is fairly well set in stone: you touch the piece, you move it. If an adjudicator decides to be human about it, that's his/her business, not mine or yours. Th two cents in on the touch-move rule.

Edit: Dang, that was a lot of typing.
    I appreciate your further explanantion of the intent of your original post. I did take it at face value and didn't detect any humor in the message. I believe I'm at least of average ability in detecting humorous writing, but whatever humor you put into the post apparently went right over my head. I'll try to recalibrate my humor meter a little. However, there are a few smiley symbols that can be used when humor is intended. They usually work pretty well. 😉

Concerning the issue at hand, based on your last post, I still don't think you've read all of the previous posts in this thread. So I'll try to explain. You stated, "...the touch move rule is fairly well set in stone: you touch the piece, you move it." If you read the first post by the OP, you'll find that he ACCIDENTLY knocked over a piece while reaching for a pawn. His opponent called the touch-move rule on this accidental knocking over of the piece. I'll agree that the touch-move rule is fairly well set in stone, but it's not exactly as you stated. The touch move rule really means, if you INTENTIONALLY touch a piece, you move it. (If you don't believe me, I'd suggest you read FIDE Article 4.3, and note the phrase "if the player having the move deliberately touches on the chessboard...".) See the difference? If he had intentionally touched the piece, he would have had to move it as required by the touch-move rule. However, since he accidentally touched the piece (that is, in this case he accidentally knocked it over), the applicable rule for that situation is USCF Rule 10E (in the USA) or FIDE Article 7.3. And according to USCF 10E or FIDE Article 7.3, he does not have to move that piece. (At least if the TD or arbiter rules correctly.) And I do find it a little amusing that you suggested that I might want to review the rules of chess, when I'm the one that quoted the applicable rules earlier in the thread. And I've been TRYING to get you to read those rules. 🙂

Now, you might wonder how someone can discern the difference between intentionally touching a piece and an accidental touching of a piece. I will admit that at times there may be a gray area where it might be difficult to make that distinction. However, I believe that in the vast majority of cases, it's fairly obvious to you as a player whether your opponent has intentionally touched a piece or accidentally brushed a piece with his hand or accidentally knocked over a piece with his elbow. If you see that your opponent has accidentally touched a piece, yet you claim to the arbiter that he intentionally touched the piece, then in my mind you are blatantly cheating, and I don't see how any reasonable person could say that he was simply adhering to the letter of the rule. If you disagree with that statement, then I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree on that issue. But I'll tell you one thing - If someone tried to pull that trick on me, that person would be persona non grata in my book.

Well, it's been an interesting exchange - some fun, and some pain. I hope I'll be able to convince you of my reasoning. But successful or not, I wish you good times in your chess matches. That's the goal I'll be shooting for in mine, also.
  2. Joined
    26 Jul '06
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 07:30
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I appreciate your further explanantion of the intent of your original post. I did take it at face value and didn't detect any humor in the message. I believe I'm at least of average ability in detecting humorous writing, but whatever humor you put into the post apparently went right over my head. I'll try to recalibrate my humor meter a little. However, the ...[text shortened]... your chess matches. That's the goal I'll be shooting for in mine, also.
    You're right - I've never read the exact wording, but I have had other misguided players explain it to me as "touch the piece, move the piece" regardless of intent. Live and learn.

As to the crappy sense of humour - no one gets it. I think I aim for "deadpan" and hit "serious" instead most of the time. I like to think of it as the "it weould be funny on tv" sense of humour. Think Homer Simpson combined with Hank Hill and you're getting close. Fred Flintstone might be involved as well - I'm not even sure.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Mar '08 12:36
    Originally posted by clandarkfire
    I was playing at an otb tournament last weekend, and in one of my games, when I was ahead a rook, and a few games from checkmate, I reached for a pawn, and in doing so acidently knocked over my rook. I picked it up without bothering to say "I adjust", or whatever I would say, and my opponent announced that I had to move it. I called the TD and he agreed ...[text shortened]... it, I move it there, my opponent captured it, and I consequently lost. Is this really correct?
    NO! No no no. Accidentally knocking over a piece is NOT part of the touch move rule, the TD was mistaken and should have known better.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree