Twic

Standard memberzebano
Only Chess 12 Feb '07 18:20
  1. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 18:20
    I need to get my db up to date. So I went to twic and started downloading all their old games from their archive page (http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twicp.html). However Sitting there, unzipping and then merging 200+ databases is a time consuming endeavor. Does anyone happen to know of any chessbase tricks for quickly merging multiple databases, or know of a location where all of these files can be found as one?

thanks.
  2. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 18:262 edits
    This is how I did it:

You'll need perl, and to run this script in the directory you download all the individual .zip files into. It will delete a file called bigpgn.pgn if you have one in the directory so be careful of that.

#/usr/bin/perl

my $file;

unlink "bigpgn.pgn" if (-e bigpgn.pgn)

foreach $file (glob "twic*.zip){
    system "unzip -p $file >> bigpgn.pgn"
    }
  3. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 18:31
    Originally posted by DeepThought
    This is how I did it:

You'll need perl, and to run this script in the directory you download all the individual .zip files into. It will delete a file called bigpgn.pgn if you have one in the directory so be careful of that.

#/usr/bin/perl

my $file;

unlink "bigpgn.pgn" if (-e bigpgn.pgn)

foreach $file (glob "twic*.zip){
    system "unzip -p $file >> bigpgn.pgn"
    }
    Thats easy. Thanks!
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    12 Feb '07 18:37
    Originally posted by zebano
    I need to get my db up to date. So I went to twic and started downloading all their old games from their archive page (http://www.chesscenter.com/twic/twicp.html). However Sitting there, unzipping and then merging 200+ databases is a time consuming endeavor. Does anyone happen to know of any chessbase tricks for quickly merging multiple databases, or know of a location where all of these files can be found as one?

thanks.
    I had to download them one at a time when I started this process a few years ago. But with UltimateZip, I was able to unzip all the files into a single folder. Then, in ChessBase I was able to open that folder and select (ctrl-A) all TWIC databases and copy (ctrl-C) and paste (ctrl-V) them into one large database. These basic windows commands all work in ChessBase.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree