1. Sydney
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 03:04
    Originally posted by MoneyMaker7
    f4?
    That wouldn't do extremely much. Offeres the gambit but would have to win the pawn back later

And I already said a possible answer no need repeating it

Rahim, thoughts?
    f4 isn't a gambit.

Does it hurt to look at more than 1 move? IMO analysis should be 10% What move? And 90% Why that move?
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 03:10
    After the line most people gave with Bxh6 Qh4+ (white's move) Qxh6 Nobody mentioned that white might then respond with Nb5, which to me looks quite nice.
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 03:11
    Originally posted by idioms
    f4 isn't a gambit.

Does it hurt to look at more than 1 move? IMO analysis should be 10% What move? And 90% Why that move?
    IMO analysis should be 10% what move? And 90% why doesn't that move work?
  4. Sydney
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 03:12
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    IMO analysis should be 10% what move? And 90% why doesn't that move work?
    That will also work for me 😉
  5. Sydney
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 03:20
    After the line most people gave with Bxh6 Qh4+ (white's move) Qxh6 Nobody mentioned that white might then respond with Nb5, which to me looks quite nice.
    Nb5 does look decent .. what does Fritz say about the reply c6 .. white can trade off d5 looking down at blacks resulting weak d6 pawn (which could be defended by the awkward Qe8 ..
  6. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 03:221 edit
    Originally posted by idioms
    Nb5 does look decent .. what does Fritz say about the reply c6 .. white can trade off d5 looking down at blacks resulting weak d6 pawn (which could be defended by the awkward Qe8 ..
    I haven't checked with F9, my idea was b5 Nxd6+ and likely to be followed with Nxc8 to avoid losing it. I'll check with F9 though. 🙂

Actually I think I might like your idea more, I didn't even consider dxc6 - didn't really visualize it. Nice idea.
  7. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 03:23
    That was just a sample tactic problem from one of the games I analysed on here. I just wanted to see how long it would take people to solve a simple problem like that.

What does Nb5 do? The black knight on a6 protects c7.

White: Seirawan
    Black : Ivanchuk

That game continued:

9. Be3 Bh6 Blunder? See Problem below

10. Qd2 Making sure White benefits from the trade of bishops

10...Bxe3 11. Qxe3 Notice the weak holes in Black's kingside. f6,g7,h6.

11...c6 Opening up the b6 square for the Queen

12.Qh6! Preventing Black from castling. 12.0-0 is not a good move. See problem.

12... Ndc5 13.Rd1! Qb6 Black continues play on the Queenside

14. Bb1! Ke7 15. f4! The time is right now

15... exf4 16. Rf1! Rf8 17. Qxf4 threatening a check on f6

17... f6 18. dxc6 Qxc6 19. Nd4 Gaining tempo on the Queen

19...Qe8 20. Nd5+ Kd8 21. Qxd6+ Bd7 22. Nb5 1-0.

Black resigned.
  8. Joined
    01 Nov '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 03:28
    Qd2 was the answer?...
  9. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 03:301 edit
    Originally posted by RahimK
    That was just a sample tactic problem from one of the games I analysed on here. I just wanted to see how long it would take people to solve a simple problem like that.

What does Nb5 do? The black knight on a6 protects c7.

White: Seirawan
    Black : Ivanchuk

That game continued:

9. Be3 Bh6 Blunder? See Problem below

10. Qd2 Making sure White b ing tempo on the Queen

19...Qe8 20. Nd5+ Kd8 21. Qxd6+ Bd7 22. Nb5 1-0.

Black resigned.
    I noticed, but it puts the knight on an advanced supported square, ironically F9 thought that Qc1 was best after Bxh6 Qh4+ Ng3 Qxh6. I was rather surprised that nobody mentioned either of these moves (especially Nb5), perhaps they didn't think long about it, or just emulated other peoples opinions, or perhaps couldn't see it, but I thought it was a very reasonable move - especially after c6 which looks natural at first. Of course, Fritz ruined all my fun with the reply Nc5, followed by Bc2 and Bd7 with an appx. -.3 to black.

The position you gave seems pretty advanced (confusing?), especially with the way the question was worded. I immediately thought "Can white win that bishop?" because you asked if it was a blunder. After knowing the moves I'm not entirely sure, I'd guess perhaps a slight positional blunder, but by no means worthy of a "?" or "??".

Ok I've just seen the result of the game - no way anybody below 1600 is going to be able to figure that out to that extent, I mean Ivanchuk couldn't.
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 03:30
    Originally posted by MoneyMaker7
    Qd2 was the answer?...
    The answer is that 9...Bh6 is not a blunder.

That was one of homework puzzles I created for that game.

The real game went 9...Bh6 10.Qd2 Bxe3 etc....

See the post above.
  11. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 03:321 edit
    The answer is that 9...Bh6 is not a blunder.

That was one of homework puzzles I created for that game.

The real game went 9...Bh6 10.Qd2 Bxe3 etc....

See the post above.
    I did, black get's smoked real fast. I might even consider it an error, I guess not a blunder. IDK it just seems phrased in a confusing manner, and after the move you said "note the holes in black's kingside" given this I think that move was bad, perhaps the start of black's demise, and can be considered a blunder.
  12. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 03:32
    I noticed, but it puts the knight on an advanced supported square, ironically F9 thought that Qc1 was best after Bxh6 Qh4+ Ng3 Qxh6. I was rather surprised that nobody mentioned either of these moves (especially Nb5), perhaps they didn't think long about it, or just emulated other peoples opinions, or perhaps couldn't see it, but I thought it was a very r ...[text shortened]... 'd guess perhaps a slight positional blunder, but by no means worthy of a "?" or "??".
    It was just an example homework puzzles I made for that game.

The answer is the 9...Bxh6 is not a blunder because if white plays 10.Bxh6 thinking he won a bishop for free then black can play 10...Qh4+ and Qxh6 regaining his lost bishop.

I make simple puzzles so no one has excuses that they don't have enough time to solve them, they are to hard, etc....
  13. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 03:34
    It was just an example homework puzzles I made for that game.

The answer is the 9...Bxh6 is not a blunder because if white plays 10.Bxh6 thinking he won a bishop for free then black can play 10...Qh4+ and Qxh6 regaining his lost bishop.

I make simple puzzles so no one has excuses that they don't have enough time to solve them, they are to hard, etc....
    Well ok, fair enough, but from a positional aspect I still think that move isn't best. Maybe you could have added a second part like, "Does black have a better move here and why?"
  14. Stormwind City
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 03:381 edit
    I have no clue what you mean, you notation is wrong.

10...g5??

10.Bxh6 Qh4+ 11.king moves or block with pawn etc...

11...Qxh6 regaining the lost bishop.
    sorry lol i use notation like when i play the computer when i say g5 i mean he moves his g6 pawn to g5
  15. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    16 Nov '06 03:39
    Well ok, fair enough, but from a positional aspect I still think that move isn't best. Maybe you could have added a second part like, "Does black have a better move here and why?"
    You mean disagree with GM Ivanchuk?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree