1. Joined
    10 May '09
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 07:31
    I've only seen a few positions where promoting a pawn to a knight is the correct move in tactical puzzles. I always miss them, but I think they're beautiful!

Any famous games or not-so famous ones where under promotion was (correctly) done for the win? Any of your own?
  2. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Jun '13 23:551 edit
    Originally posted by USArmyParatrooper
    I've only seen a few positions where promoting a pawn to a knight is the correct move in tactical puzzles. I always miss them, but I think they're beautiful!

Any famous games or not-so famous ones where under promotion was (correctly) done for the win? Any of your own?
    Here's a spiffy little example of a rare Bishop underpromotion. Not sure if white has to do it to win, but it's quick and clean.

Tomic - Winzbeck
    Dortmund 1993
  3. Standard memberkingshill
    Mr Ring Rusty
    Wales
    Moves
    04 Jun '13 00:05
    I'll have to try to dig a game out of my distant past. I was playing an opponent who had a forced mate at the board. He was sitting smugly until I under promoted to a knight with check a mated him first.
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Jun '13 00:43
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    Here's a spiffy little example of a rare Bishop underpromotion. Not sure if white has to do it to win, but it's quick and clean.

Tomic - Winzbeck
    Dortmund 1993
    [pgn]
    [White "Tomic"]
    [Black "Winzbeck"]
    [FEN "2r1b2k/2P4p/3R2pP/p2B1pP1/Pp2pP2/1P2K3/8/8 w - - 0 1"]
    1.Rd8 Rxd8 2.cxd8B { and black resigned }
    [/pgn]
    It looks to me that it had to be a bishop or knight to avoid stalemate- a probable last-ditch swindle attempt that failed!
  5. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    04 Jun '13 23:27
    Originally posted by SwissGambit

Tomic - Winzbeck
    Dortmund 1993
    [pgn]
    [White "Tomic"]
    [Black "Winzbeck"]
    [FEN "2r1b2k/2P4p/3R2pP/p2B1pP1/Pp2pP2/1P2K3/8/8 w - - 0 1"]
    1.Rd8 Rxd8 2.cxd8B { and black resigned }
    [/pgn]
    Black has one try, B-f7. If BxB, stalemate. He can at least make the game last longer.
  6. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    06 Jun '13 08:111 edit
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    Black has one try, B-f7. If BxB, stalemate. He can at least make the game last longer.
    Of course after Bf6+ and BxB+ black is just a piece down and the Qside pawns are falling. Still, I suppose I should re-phrase my statement. "White quickly reaches a clearly won position."

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree