1. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 15:58
    afte reading that there seems to be certain tactics employed by OTB players which have little relevance to the actual moves, i wonder if there are any antidotes to these tactics. For example exagerated mannerisms

1. the piece slammer intent of screwing down his knight on d5 with a hilti gun
    2. the face puller who casts a bemused smile and smirks with a quick reply
    3. the starer, penetrating stare designed to unnerve,
    4. the sneak who asks you what book you have in your bag hoping that you shall show it to them and get yourself a forfeit.
    5. the table shaker

i just wondered what the antidote might be to any of the aforementioned, for its this type of behaviour that puts one off from joining a club and enjoying OTB chess.
  2. Joined
    07 Apr '10
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 16:19
    Psychology is part of the game. Most of your examples seem a bit out of line though.

On OTB I like to offer a draw when I'm clearly losing. This promotes sloppy play in my opponent. This trick has worked at least once for me on RHP.
  3. Joined
    06 May '10
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 16:35
    lol....I recently commented to an opponent that I had made a blunder and the game seemed over...which at the time I really had...then he fell right into a fork i had set!.....slimey?....not on pupose.....but it felt a bit icky after I had won
  4. Standard memberatticus2
    Frustrate the Bad
    Liverpool
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 17:03
    Hae ye tried a Glasgae kiss?
  5. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 17:06
    1,2,3 - are no big deal. Just ignore them. Get ear plugs and a pair of mirror sunglasses...

4- My attitude in tournament OTB is don't talk unless offering a draw or resigning. I would probably get a TD if someone was talking to me for any other reason.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 17:231 edit
    Originally posted by atticus2
    Hae ye tried a Glasgae kiss?
    Lol, no but ive been the recipient of such 'kisses', on two occasions, though not for playing chess 😉
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 17:25
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    1,2,3 - are no big deal. Just ignore them. Get ear plugs and a pair of mirror sunglasses...

4- My attitude in tournament OTB is don't talk unless offering a draw or resigning. I would probably get a TD if someone was talking to me for any other reason.
    i guess if one is going to play tournaments then one needs to be hardened to these type of things. I think every chess player should carry a pair of mirrored sunglasses and ear plugs.
  8. Standard memberIgloo
    Fishing
    In the icebucket
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 17:43
    Two of my pet peeves:

- The starer (mark II), stares at the one corner of the board hoping to mask the move he's planning in the other corner.

- The walker, gets up from the board and walks up the aisle every few minutes. Often makes a move standing up, before continuing along the aisle.

The first time that I faced a walker, I remember wondering if it was within the tournament etiquette to throw a half-brick at him.
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 18:031 edit
    Originally posted by Igloo
    Two of my pet peeves:

- The starer (mark II), stares at the one corner of the board hoping to mask the move he's planning in the other corner.

- The walker, gets up from the board and walks up the aisle every few minutes. Often makes a move standing up, before continuing along the aisle.

The first time that I faced a walker, I remember wondering if it was within the tournament etiquette to throw a half-brick at him.
    Lol, i know how to make a tazer from a disposable camera, that might work on the walker, although i dont think he does himself much favours, statistically i think it has been suggested that the wanderer loses as much as 150 rating points in playing strength if he wanders around looking at other games, or so de la Maza wrote of his own chess experience. Morphy was noted for looking up from the board only when he had found a winning line, otherwise he fully concentrated.
  10. Joined
    21 Dec '06
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 18:05
    Originally posted by Igloo

I have to confess - I am the walker. I get really nervous during the game and have to go to a restroom literally every 2 moves. And walking calms me down somewhat. Believe it or not but during last OTB game I even made push-ups at some moment in an empty room where nobody saw me - my position was really superior and I was getting too excited. It didn't help much - I've stupidly let my opponent to draw with perpetual check.
    And by the way I also like to study position while standing - you kind of see it differently.
  11. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 18:32
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    afte reading that there seems to be certain tactics employed by OTB players which have little relevance to the actual moves, i wonder if there are any antidotes to these tactics. For example exagerated mannerisms

2. the face puller who casts a bemused smile and smirks ...[text shortened]... ed, for its this type of behaviour that puts one off from joining a club and enjoying OTB chess.
    I was always told to record my move before playing it - then take a moment to make sure you havent done something really stupid.

On one occassion my opponent did the exact opposite; he played his move then in the most beautiful calligraphy he recorded it. How dare he record moves in mytime!

So after his next move I played the most obvious reply immediately and again and again always using his time to think and play an immediate response ... he got completely flustered that I wasnt giving him time to write.

I won.

Afterwards his only comment was "thats not chess"
    😀
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 18:521 edit
    Originally posted by wolfgang59
    I was always told to record my move before playing it - then take a moment to make sure you havent done something really stupid.

On one occassion my opponent did the exact opposite; he played his move then in the most beautiful calligraphy he recorded it. How dare he record moves in [b]my
    time!

So after his next move I played the most obvious rep ...[text shortened]... giving him time to write.

I won.

Afterwards his only comment was "thats not chess"
    😀[/b]
    Lol, how very very cunning Wolfers! i am sure that i read of a Fischer controversy, although the details are hazy in which, seeing Tal smirking while he was engaged against Petrsosian , Fischer got phased and changed his recorded move and played a different one, after which i think he demanded that moves be played and then recorded rather than recorded and then played I have no idea what the rules say on this.
  13. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 19:25
    I think the Fide rule is your are supposed to notate your move after you have played it, not before.

I am a slow player, probably due to too much CC. So frequently I win games where my opponent has used no time on the clock and I have used almost all of mine. Doesn't fluster me in the least.
  14. Joined
    27 Apr '07
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 19:35
    The worst I am guilty of on RHP is messaging my opponent during the game adn saying "Check" while giving a spite check in a hopelessly lost position. Its intended to be a joke, but may not necessarily be received that way. In any event, I usually resign shortly thereafter.

My finest example was when underpromoting my final pawn to a knight, for the sole purpose of saying "Check", knowing the knight would immediately be taken by a rook, and I would resign. My opponent laughed at that one.
  15. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 19:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie

2. the face puller who casts a bemused smile and smirks ...[text shortened]... ed, for its this type of behaviour that puts one off from joining a club and enjoying OTB chess.
    1. Move your pieces as softly as you can, slide pieces with your pinky, very slow.
    When you do make a !! move, pick up the clock and slam it down, do this harder if your using his clock.
    2. Make a demon face, then say things about his wife.
    3. Take out your pocket watch, and hypnotize him into resigning.
    4. Take out a Star Trek book and give it to him, he will be too involved in it to play chess.
    5. Grab the table and help him shake it, making the pieces move around, then hope it favours you.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree