1. Account suspended
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 22:00
    Originally posted by Mad Rook
    I'm pretty ignorant on the subject, but one example: Jewish law, not writing on the Sabbath. (I think)
    i read of one player having another push the clock button lest it be constituted as work, wonder if they also wrote down the moves
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    18 Oct '10 23:24
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    The write the move first then move habit came into fashion
    after some lad suggested it as a way of avoiding one move blunders.

You chose your move, wrote it down, then scanned the board to make
    sure it was not a blunder.

The lengths some people would go to hide their chosen move was very amusing.
    This is going to sound cheesy, but occasionally when I play a kid who goes out of his way to see what I have written down as a move before I play it (an old habit I haven't broken), I sometimes write down a move that hangs my queen or something, and just leave it for a bit to mess with them.

It's a little bit like waving a pork chop in front of a hungry dog, but it cures them most of the time!
  3. Standard memberavalanchethecat
    Not actually a cat
    The Flat Earth
    Moves
    19 Oct '10 08:55
    Talking of cheesy... anybody else fallen victim to the rancid sock dodge? I once played against a guy whose feet smelt so bad that even after he put his trainers back on my eyes were still watering.
  4. Joined
    08 Oct '08
    Moves
    19 Oct '10 16:19
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    To me, it doesn't make any sense to record a move BEFORE you've made it on a SCORESHEET i.e. a paper where you keep track of moves made. The USCF was stupid to cave in to people who were teaching an improper and illogical technique.
    Wouldn't the simplest approach be to let people do it either way? - but just require that the person has both made their move and written down their move before hitting the clock.
  5. Joined
    25 Nov '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '10 16:34
    I played a tournament a few weeks back and in one of my games I was facing a window with the sun shining through it. This was fine when my opponent was sitting down, as the board was in shadow, but he took to standing just off to one side when it was my move, then occasionally leaning in (as if to take a closer look) so alternating the board between light and shade. Very difficult to concentrate.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    19 Oct '10 16:50
    Originally posted by untergang
    I played a tournament a few weeks back and in one of my games I was facing a window with the sun shining through it. This was fine when my opponent was sitting down, as the board was in shadow, but he took to standing just off to one side when it was my move, then occasionally leaning in (as if to take a closer look) so alternating the board between light and shade. Very difficult to concentrate.
    i heard ol Ruy Lopez suggested similar tactics of letting the sun shine in ones opponents face!
  7. Standard membernimzo5
    Ronin
    Hereford Boathouse
    Moves
    19 Oct '10 17:38
    Even in a Fide rated event I wouldn't call someone out for writing down the move first, if anything I think it is an advantage for me if they do.
    It is funny when someone goes to great length to cover their scoresheet though...
  8. Joined
    19 Jun '06
    Moves
    19 Oct '10 17:39
    Originally posted by Melanerpes
    Wouldn't the simplest approach be to let people do it either way? - but just require that the person has both made their move and written down their move before hitting the clock.
    The simplest approach isn't always the fairest approach, imho. I've read the USCF rule book, and it seems to me that the intent of the rules as written is to require the players to record the game moves in an efficient manner with minimal negative impact to the game being played. The rules don't require that you write down your move before you hit your clock; They only require that you record your move before making your next move. That means that they are allowing you to record your move on your opponent's time, thus allowing the game to flow more smoothly.

In USCF rated games, you are allowed to write down your move before making the move (if using a paper scoresheet). But that is your choice to make, and your opponent shouldn't be penalized because you've decided to do the recording in reverse order.
  9. out on bail
    Moves
    19 Oct '10 18:41
    Originally posted by Igloo
    Two of my pet peeves:

- The starer (mark II), stares at the one corner of the board hoping to mask the move he's planning in the other corner.

- The walker, gets up from the board and walks up the aisle every few minutes. Often makes a move standing up, before continuing along the aisle.

The first time that I faced a walker, I remember wondering if it was within the tournament etiquette to throw a half-brick at him.
    Etiquette allows a full brick (or 2 halves)
  10. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    19 Oct '10 18:56
    Originally posted by nimzo5
    Even in a Fide rated event I wouldn't call someone out for writing down the move first, if anything I think it is an advantage for me if they do.
    It is funny when someone goes to great length to cover their scoresheet though...
    I laugh at this too- until a move is made on the board, it's all hypothetical.

If anything, I think it is more productive to try to independently figure out what your opponent is going to play- the process of determining the move is where your comprehension of the position comes from, and seeing the other guy's move probably just artificially biases your perspective more than anything else.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Oct '10 08:22
    can i ask a question, are you allowed to talk to your opponent during a match, like saying, 'wow, that was a good move you just played', or, 'the position looks drawish', etc etc
  12. Joined
    18 Mar '10
    Moves
    20 Oct '10 08:52
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    can i ask a question, are you allowed to talk to your opponent during a match, like saying, 'wow, that was a good move you just played', or, 'the position looks drawish', etc etc
    The FIDE laws, section 12.6, state;

'It is forbidden to distract or annoy the opponent in any manner whatsoever. This includes unreasonable claims, unreasonable offers of a draw or the introduction of a source of noise into the playing area.'

So in a serious game you should not make any comments during play.

Regarding writing down moves in advance the FIDE laws, section 8.1, are also very clear.

'It is forbidden to write the moves in advance, unless the player is claiming a draw according to Article 9.2, or 9.3 or adjourning a game according to the Guidelines of Adjourned Games point 1.a.'

The reason for this is to prevent note taking during the game. Writing down moves in advance and crossing them out is a form of cheating as it helps a player remember his plans.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    20 Oct '10 09:291 edit
    Originally posted by lundybishop
    The FIDE laws, section 12.6, state;

'It is forbidden to distract or annoy the opponent in any manner whatsoever. This includes unreasonable claims, unreasonable offers of a draw or the introduction of a source of noise into the playing area.'

So in a serious game you should not make any comments during play.

Regarding writing down moves in advan advance and crossing them out is a form of cheating as it helps a player remember his plans.
    mmm, its quite strict, no jumping up in the middle of a combination and shouting ,'your mine sucka!', only to have ones opponent quietly refute the move with a silent 'pinky push'. I read that Andersson was so gleeful that he tossed his opponents piece over his shoulder, or was it Alekhine who tried to embed a piece in the wall by hurling it at it, could be both 🙂
  14. timed out again
    Moves
    20 Oct '10 10:401 edit
    afte reading that there seems to be certain tactics employed by OTB players which have little relevance to the actual moves, i wonder if there are any antidotes to these tactics. For example exagerated mannerisms

1. the piece slammer intent of screwing down his knight on d5 with a hilti gun
    2. the face puller who casts a bemused smile and smirks with a quick reply
    3. the starer, penetrating stare designed to unnerve,
    4. the sneak who asks you what book you have in your bag hoping that you shall show it to them and get yourself a forfeit.
    5. the table shaker

i just wondered what the antidote might be to any of the aforementioned, for its this type of behaviour that puts one off from joining a club and enjoying OTB chess.

^^^^ Have you actually played in a chess club or in a chess tournament? Your first comment makes no sense at all but if you are asking the second question it is likely that you have never actually been in a chess club or a chess tournament for that matter.

Go and spectate at a chess club or a chess tournament and see what actually happens.
  15. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    20 Oct '10 10:59
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    The write the move first then move habit came into fashion
    after some lad suggested it as a way of avoiding one move blunders.
    "Some lad" being Kotov, in Think Like a Grandmaster.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree