unsporting behavior

unsporting behavior

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Moves
20 Oct 10

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
can i ask a question, are you allowed to talk to your opponent during a match, like saying, 'wow, that was a good move you just played', or, 'the position looks drawish', etc etc
No, as lundybishop cites; moreover, in many cases your opponent is allowed to take your second remark as an actual, not potential, offer of a draw, accept it, and stop the clocks. So better only make that remark if it really is at most drawish for you.

Richard

Moves
20 Oct 10

Originally posted by Mad Rook
I'm pretty ignorant on the subject, but one example: Jewish law, not writing on the Sabbath. (I think)
Now I'm firmly goy, but if you are a strict enough Jew not to want to write your moves on the Sabbath, should you not have even more problems with playing serious chess on a Sabbath? We're talking about tournament games, after all, not about skittles.

Richard

e4

Moves
20 Oct 10

Originally posted by Shallow Blue
"Some lad" being Kotov, in Think Like a Grandmaster.

Richard
Hi Blue.

It was being used before Kotov.
He advised it in print but some guys were doing this long before TLAGM.
I was told to try in the mid 70's to slow me down. Never bothered.

It caught on big time after TLAGM and this resulted in a few messy score
sheets (and losses on time) as players wrote down their moves twice often
swapping sides on the score sheet and then back again.

They thought they had made move 36 when infact they were only on move 32.

rc

Moves
20 Oct 10
5 edits

Originally posted by enrico20
Originally posted by robbie carrobie[/i]
afte reading that there seems to be certain tactics employed by OTB players which have little relevance to the actual moves, i wonder if there are any antidotes to these tactics. For example exagerated mannerisms

1. the piece slammer intent of screwing down his knight on d5 with a hilti gun
2. the face pu ter.

Go and spectate at a chess club or a chess tournament and see what actually happens.
It made perfect sense to those who contributed something to both the post and my understanding of what goes on and secondly its the type of unsporting behaviour that makes one reticent about joining either a club or going to a tournament, spectating is of course practically irrelevant, for one is hardly likely to be the recipient of unsporting behaviour while spectating, less of course the dude sitting next to you has deliberately put on some stinky aftershave in an attempt to psych out the audience.

rc

Moves
20 Oct 10

Now I'm firmly goy, but if you are a strict enough Jew not to want to write your moves on the Sabbath, should you not have even more problems with playing serious chess on a Sabbath? We're talking about tournament games, after all, not about skittles.

Richard
it really depends on the interpretation of 'work', for can it be construed that just sitting and thinking is work? well hardly, but actually physically doing something could be construed as 'work'.

Moves
20 Oct 10

Possibly a question so daft it borders on ridiculous, but what are the rules/"ethics" (ie is it unsporting even if legal) surrounding viewing angles on the board?

When playing correspondence on here it's obviously quite easy to set a position up on a board and have a good look from any angle, even the opponent's perspective (may find it easier to spot a tactic/plan being formed that way) - but OTB can you get up and walk around the board?

(For the purposes of this post I'm assuming the player involved is genuinely trying to play fairly and help their own play, not just annoy the opponent)

e

timed out again

Moves
20 Oct 10

It made perfect sense to those who contributed something to both the post and my understanding of what goes on and secondly its the type of unsporting behaviour that makes one reticent about joining either a club or going to a tournament, spectating is of course practically irrelevant, for one is hardly likely to be the recipient of unsporting behav ...[text shortened]... t to you has deliberately put on some stinky aftershave in an attempt to psych out the audience.
Even a child who has been to a chess tournament would answer your second question for you. If you have been to a chess tournament or a chess club you would dispel some of these "wild fantasies" of what you think actually happens in a chess club/tournament.

If you read about any of these wild stories in "Chess Life Magazine" or any respectable chess publication, please link to the said publication.

MR

Moves
20 Oct 10

Originally posted by CharlieDan
Possibly a question so daft it borders on ridiculous, but what are the rules/"ethics" (ie is it unsporting even if legal) surrounding viewing angles on the board?

When playing correspondence on here it's obviously quite easy to set a position up on a board and have a good look from any angle, even the opponent's perspective (may find it easier to spot ...[text shortened]... ed is genuinely trying to play fairly and help their own play, not just annoy the opponent)
There's no specific rule against it, but I guess if you did it often enough, constantly popping up and down, it might annoy your opponent enough to appeal to the arbiter/tournament director. Then it would be up to the arbiter to decide whether it was annoying behavior.

Personally, having my opponent do this doesn't bother me, although it's only happened to me a few times. (Most disconcerting is having your opponent stand behind you; But even this doesn't really bother me. I just keep looking at the board, working on the position.

I haven't really done this myself. I guess I just don't think it would make much difference to me.

g

Moves
20 Oct 10

i believe the reason that you cannot write the move first is that it constitutes note taking.

rc

Moves
20 Oct 10
9 edits

Originally posted by enrico20
Even a child who has been to a chess tournament would answer your second question for you. If you have been to a chess tournament or a chess club you would dispel some of these "wild fantasies" of what you think actually happens in a chess club/tournament.

If you read about any of these wild stories in "Chess Life Magazine" or any respectable chess publication, please link to the said publication.
what a piece of sensationalistic nothingness reminiscent of the centre of the worlds
largest doughnut. What wild stories are you referring to? You do read the
occasional chess book i take it? Communicate with the occasional chess player?

1.table shaker, Petrosian V Korchnoi
2.wild stare - Tals opponent used mirrored sunglasses
3.kicking under the table - Petrosian v Korchnoi, barrier erected
4.objecting to youguhrts in case they were coded - Karpov v Korchnoi
5.mind games - Russian parapsychologist Dr Vladamir Zhukar sat at the front of the
audience staring at Korchnoi for the entire match, he was in turn handed a copy of
the anti soviet novel - the Gulag Archipelago and prodded with a pen
6.Ruy Lopez suggested in his 1561 book positioning the board so that the sun shines in ones opponents eyes

wild fantasies????, try reading some chess literature or listening to some other chess
players, for example those who were kind enough to offer their own experiences,
perhaps they were also fantasising 🙂

Moves
21 Oct 10

it really depends on the interpretation of 'work', for can it be construed that just sitting and thinking is work? well hardly, but actually physically doing something could be construed as 'work'.
Well, as I'm a computer programmer/sysadmin, my work has always consisted for a large part of sitting behind a desk, thinking, and occasionally hitting little pieces of plastic. The way I see it, if you risk getting paid for your effort, whether it's mental or physical, it's work. After all, you're not having your attention on God while you're doing it, which is the point of the Sabbath rules in the first place.

Richard

Moves
21 Oct 10

When playing correspondence on here it's obviously quite easy to set a position up on a board and have a good look from any angle, even the opponent's perspective (may find it easier to spot a tactic/plan being formed that way) - but OTB can you get up and walk around the board?
And if you can, can your opponent then look up and ask you "So, did you find anything good for me yet?"?

Richard

Moves
21 Oct 10

If it's your opponent's move, you can get up and go where you like, including standing over your opponent's shoulder. Personally I think it's a little rude and unecessary, but I've seen people do it.

Another relatively common occurence is noticing that your opponent has forgotten to press their clock, and not telling them. You can just keep thinking on their time until they notice. Again, I think this is a bit mean, bit it's legal.

rc

Moves
22 Oct 10
2 edits

Well, as I'm a computer programmer/sysadmin, my work has always consisted for a large part of sitting behind a desk, thinking, and occasionally hitting little pieces of plastic. The way I see it, if you risk getting paid for your effort, whether it's mental or physical, it's work. After all, you're not having your attention on God while you're doing it, which is the point of the Sabbath rules in the first place.

Richard
programmers/systems admin get paid forty pound an hour to tell you to turn your computer on and off, no way that working 😛

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
22 Oct 10

Robbie- I'm sorry to say the behavior you described is present in chess clubs all over the world. I was an active over the board club player in the 80's and 90's, and I saw a lot of it. I could make a few suggestions:

1. Try several chess clubs, and pick the club with the fewest ill mannered players.

2. Contact the tournament director, perhaps they can help

3. Stay with correspondence chess. It eliminates the travel costs