1. Standard memberbeauroberts
    Father of Three
    New Hampshire
    Moves
    07 Feb '14 04:02
    I've never played in an otb tourney for fear of getting destroyed as I am not very good (although I am learning and getting a little better.) I was curious how ratings on RHP translate to USCF or FIDE ratings? Is it easy to enter an otb torney. I've thinking about it for some time...any thoughts?

Beau
  2. SubscriberRagwortonline
    Senecio Jacobaea
    Yorkshire
    Moves
    07 Feb '14 10:04
    Originally posted by beauroberts
    I've never played in an otb tourney for fear of getting destroyed as I am not very good (although I am learning and getting a little better.) I was curious how ratings on RHP translate to USCF or FIDE ratings? Is it easy to enter an otb torney. I've thinking about it for some time...any thoughts?

Beau
    If tables or profiles are to be believed then a 1477-ish USCF rating will get you to page one 2300+ RHP: User 630851.
    State Champion (USCF 2100+) on the other hand will get you 1850+ RHP User 448842 and there are plenty of similar examples...

Were I you I'd forget all that, stop faffing about and get down there and play!
  3. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    07 Feb '14 11:04
    RHP ratings appear to be somewhat inflated compared to USCF ratings.

There may be several reasons for this. One is that consulting books and databases is allowed at RHP and in correspondence games generally, but not in OTB games or tournaments. Second, the use of engines is hard to police in online games, but fairly easy to enforce in OTB play. It is anybody's guess how widespread engine use is online.
  4. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    07 Feb '14 14:50
    At RHP you can play anyone you want, as often as you want, and with whichever color you want, as long as your opponent agrees.

You can pick the rating of your opponent (as long as they agree to play), and you can avoid anyone you want with no penalty.

You can play as many games as you want.

Playing OTB usually means:

1) You alternate colors
    2) The quantity of games is limited
    3) You have very limited control over whom you play.

The bottom line is that the ratings environment of the two are very different, and comparisons are dubious.

That said, my experience is that RHP ratings are +/- 200 points overrated compared to USCF ratings.
  5. e4
    Moves
    07 Feb '14 16:153 edits
    Hi beauroberts,

As Paul explained the grades here and in the OTB world are vastly different.

I think a 1000-1200 RHP player will play far better than that OTB.

The 1000-1200 RHP player will make in a move, go to sleep, go to work,
    pay the gas bill, flirt with the pretty waitress at the coffee shop, worry
    about his mortgage. That night he will make another move.

No wonder their games are contaminated with gross blunders.

However, When the same lad plays an OTB game then there are no off the board distractions.
    His mind is on the one game and it will be for the duration of the game.
    So although your games here are littered with blunders (see below)
    you should find your OTB games are of a better quality.

It’s not just the 1200-1400 players who suffer from this. It’s right up to 1800.
    I’ve been looking at weaker players chess games for nigh on 40 years.
    I have never seen some of the blunders in OTB play as those I have seen on RHP.

So beauroberts join a club and get a tournament under your belt.
    Don’t worry about getting hammered, enjoy yourself and take a free lesson or two.
    The more you play OTB the better a chess player you will become and as I said
    you will play a better game with just one game on the go getting your undivided attention.

Of course I looked at a few of your games.
    (stop flirting with the pretty girl in the coffee shop and take your time.)

HJM1 - beauroberts RHP 2014 Game 10442120

Black to move.

You played 3…g6 and after a few moves that had nothing to do with the position you were lost.

3…Ne5 is the obvious move here.
    Queen kicking is good fun. These lads who bring out the lady far too early
    often see her disappear off the board.

Here, let us see another RHP lad taking full advantage of this position.

Mallibaba (1083) - Darshaka (1646) RHP 2012.Game 9316290

Of course you know all the dangers of bringing a Queen out too early.
    Here you moved you Queen no less than 7 times (on the trot!) in the first 11 moves.

caldon65 - beauroberts RHP 2014

White could have won Black's Queen on move 6. He missed it.
    Not too worry, Black paid the ultimate price for pawn munching with a Queen.

6. Standard memberbill718
    Enigma
    Seattle
    Moves
    08 Feb '14 07:14
    Originally posted by beauroberts

Beau
    beauroberts- entering an OTB tourney is not difficult, just join your local chess club or the USCF, pay your entry fee and begin. Don't concern yourself with ratings right now, they are only an approximation of one's playing strength. Getting beaten badly in OTB games is all part of the process of improving. Balance your study and playing time, but by all means compete. You won't learn much sitting on the sidelines! 😏
  7. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    09 Feb '14 00:432 edits
    My USCF peak was 1963. I was always in the 1850-1950 range back in my youth. I am 1826 here now. I was 27 years old when I reached my highest USCF rating. I quit OTB tournaments in my early 30's, returned a few years later and played a few tournaments. The rust showed and I got demolished, finishing with a final 1816 rating. I think (or hope) I could've reached expert had I stayed active and applied myself. Now I'm nearing 60. So age will play a factor. If you're young, I think the ratings will be fairly similar.

Don't be afraid of losing. Fischer, Kasparov, Capablanca, Morphy, Carlsen, all lose sometimes.
  8. Joined
    02 May '09
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 06:00
    I think greenpawn is right , my guess is that most low level players including me blitz their moves , forget any plans or my favourite move pieces early and hang them . This is my best blunder 5 pieces on the board Game 8389592 . I've only played a couple of games in an ohb tourney and played better then I thought I would , but I found the experience intense . If you don't suffer from a nervous disposition find a tourney , it's worth going just to look at all the nut cases.
  9. Standard memberwoodypusher
    misanthrope
    seclusion
    Moves
    10 Feb '14 07:06
    RHP ratings probably would be higher. It's easier to cheat online. I think I'm around 1600 OTB strength now. Besides age, illness and 30 years of marijuana and other drugs probably took their toll.

🙁

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree