1. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '06 18:33
    Anybody play here? I'm going to be getting my USCF membership in about a week and I'm pretty sure I get a USCL acct. free with it. How does it compare to places like ICC, FICS, and Playchess, and why is it so rarely mentioned?
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    14 Aug '06 23:29
    I play 1-2 games per week there. There are never many players online at one time, and sometimes it is a long wait for the game. However, the interface is nice, and the site is well run.

You can play USCF Quick rated events there, as well, which I think is a nice feature. I'll probably play one again this Wednesday.
  3. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    14 Aug '06 23:32
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    I play 1-2 games per week there. There are never many players online at one time, and sometimes it is a long wait for the game. However, the interface is nice, and the site is well run.

You can play USCF Quick rated events there, as well, which I think is a nice feature. I'll probably play one again this Wednesday.
    You don't mean that it affects your USCF rating right?
  4. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 20:42
    GamesParlor, the parent company of US Chess Live, has bought ICC. (shudder)

In fact, they have just offered the USCL interface to ICC customers under the code name "Dasher". Wonder if it still has the Conducent Spyware in it.

I left USCL years ago after they installed over-restrictive admins (for example, they would mute people for criticizing titled players). Now that GamesParlor has acquired ICC, I won't be renewing my membership there.

I recommend FICS (free!) or Playchess (a paid site, but with great features).
  5. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 21:14
    Originally posted by BigDoggProblem

In fact, they have just offered the USCL interface to ICC customers under the code name "Dasher". Wonder if it still has the Conducent Spyware in it.

I left USCL years ago after they installed over-restrictive admins (for example, they would mute people for criticizing t ...[text shortened]... ship there.

About Dasher- I didn't dl it (I use PC, not ICC) but I did see the screenshots, and as you said they looked identical to the USCL layout.
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 21:19
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    You don't mean that it affects your USCF rating right?
    USCF quick rating, yes.
  7. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 21:35
    USCF quick rating, yes.
    Wow, cool, what about cheaters though??
  8. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 21:36

I left USCL years ago after they installed over-restrictive admins (for example, they would mute people for criticizing t ...[text shortened]... ship there.

That's bad news. GamesParlour/USCL is years behind ICC in quality of service.

Do you have more details about the purchase?
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 21:37
    Originally posted by cmsMaster
    Wow, cool, what about cheaters though??
    One of the guys fingered for cheating at the World Open last month has played in dozens of these rated events. Cheating can happen anywhere.
  10. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 21:39
    I actually use Dasher, and if I remember correctly, I think I read somewhere that there is no spyware. I play on ICC, and as far as I can tell, nothing has changed. It's not like they can force you to use Dasher if you don't want to, and nothing about the server/services has changed, although we will see if that stays that way.
  11. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 22:14
    That's bad news. GamesParlour/USCL is years behind ICC in quality of service.

Do you have more details about the purchase?
    I tried to google for "GamesParlor acquires ICC" and "GamesParlor ICC" but I couldn't find anything.

I learned about it from ICC news items; some are now coming from Joel Berez, the GamesParlor CEO.

Guests have been virtually banned from the ICC under the new GP regime. Now they can't do anything other than talk to admins or helpers. No examining games, no playing, no observing other games of any kind. Seems GP is intent on taking ICC down the same depressing path as they did USCL.
  12. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    15 Aug '06 22:15
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    nothing about the server/services has changed, although we will see if that stays that way.
    See my previous post about the banning of guests. The changes have already started....
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    17 Aug '06 16:59
    One of the guys fingered for cheating at the World Open last month has played in dozens of these rated events. Cheating can happen anywhere.
    There's a new ChessBase news article today about Steve Rosenberg (disqualified from the World Open on suspicions of cheating).

Since his last "normal" results at the Michigan Open (W3-D2-L2) and a quick event four days later (1-1-1), he has gone 18-0-0 in OTB play (excluding the World Open games) and 160-14-6 in USCL rated quick events.

I think it is a good bet that he has been cheating is most, if not all, of the online games.
  14. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    17 Aug '06 17:14
    See my previous post about the banning of guests. The changes have already started....
    I have no problem with the banning of guests. I don't even understand why anyone would want to play as a guest. Noone will play you as a guest, except other guests, and you can't play rated games or watch any of the events on ICC. No big loss.
  15. Standard memberBigDogg
    Secret RHP coder
    on the payroll
    Moves
    17 Aug '06 17:41
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I have no problem with the banning of guests. I don't even understand why anyone would want to play as a guest. Noone will play you as a guest, except other guests, and you can't play rated games or watch any of the events on ICC. No big loss.
    Allowing guests was a great way to introduce people to ICC, without forcing them to fill out forms just to obtain a mere 7-day trial. It was also nice to do occasional analysis or solving of problems with non-registered friends; now, I'll direct them all to FICS, where they can have a handle and full rated play for free.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree