1. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '12 22:40
    Is it really a bad idea to see if you're improving by playing against chess computers? For instance, if you tie an 8-game match with Deep Fritz 8, is it fair to say that you play like a grandmaster?
  2. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    01 Sep '12 22:50
    Originally posted by hamworld
    Is it really a bad idea to see if you're improving by playing against chess computers? For instance, if you tie an 8-game match with Deep Fritz 8, is it fair to say that you play like a grandmaster?
    I think nowadays commercial chess engines are at least super grandmaster standard. So, if I could beat Fritz, I'd be on the phone to Anand.
  3. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    01 Sep '12 23:07
    Originally posted by hedonist
    I think nowadays commercial chess engines are at least super grandmaster standard. So, if I could beat Fritz, I'd be on the phone to Anand.
    Are you saying there's no reliable way to tell except by playing human competition?
  4. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 01:00
    Are you saying there's no reliable way to tell except by playing human competition?
    Not sure what I was saying in my first post, other than computers are better than humans now at chess.

The thing about playing computers is that you get good at defensive tactics(you look after your pieces), but will come to overlook errors in human play. So you play a human and automatically think any move he makes is tactically sound. Most players under master strength will blunder at some point during a game.

So no is the answer to the original post. Humans and computers play chess differently.
  5. Standard memberthaughbaer
    Duckfinder General
    223b Baker Street
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 01:27
    You played your first game on here 7 years ago and resigned after 1 move. Now in your recently started second game you're up to move 7 !! That's a 700% improvement. You don't need no stinkin' chess computer to tell you that.
  6. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 10:44
    It is against the rule to use a chess computer during a game in progress on RHP. This has been drummed into my head, so I can not forget, by people paranoid about other people using computers against them to find the best move. So don't do it! 😏

HalleluYah !!! Praise the Lord! Holy! Holy! Holy!
  7. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 10:54
    Originally posted by hedonist
    Not sure what I was saying in my first post, other than computers are better than humans now at chess.

The thing about playing computers is that you get good at defensive tactics(you look after your pieces), but will come to overlook errors in human play. So you play a human and automatically think any move he makes is tactically sound. Most players und ...[text shortened]... game.

So no is the answer to the original post. Humans and computers play chess differently.
    Good point. It is harder for me to win material than it is to lose material.
  8. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 18:18
    That's how I trained after I first learned chess. I worked my way up through the computer's 'handicap' levels. Once I started winning too many games, I'd bump up the level a bit more.
  9. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 20:442 edits
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    That's how I trained after I first learned chess. I worked my way up through the computer's 'handicap' levels. Once I started winning too many games, I'd bump up the level a bit more.

How far did this get you? Not criticizing, just trying to get some anecdotes.

I mean, all I know at this point is that I have a hard time beating better players being able to handle myself against one of them should make it easier to handle the other one.
  10. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 20:52
    I got to about 1500 USCF and then I started playing in tournaments.
  11. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    02 Sep '12 23:02
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I got to about 1500 USCF and then I started playing in tournaments.
    Do you now only use computers for chess analysis?
  12. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    03 Sep '12 01:14
    Do you now only use computers for chess analysis?
    Mainly for testing chess problems.
  13. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    03 Sep '12 03:25
    How far did this get you? Not criticizing, just trying to get some anecdotes.

I mean, all I know at this point is that I have a hard time beating better players being able to handle myself against one of them should make it easier to handle the other one.
    I found playing the 'characters' in Chessmaster 9000 did my game a lot of good. Chessmaster isn't the strongest engine but i found the different playing styles of the fictional characters very useful when i was first learning the game. The only problem with playing an engine on a lower setting is that the engine has no real way of making the mistakes realistic. It'd spank me all over the board and then allow a knight fork, stuff like that. That said, i still had to spot the mistakes. In fact, it probably helped me to develop a healthy approach to playing stronger players, who still make mistakes even when they're winning. I don't think there is any substitute for human practise though, if you play fritz on full strength i don't think you'll come away with very much, it'll just undermine your confidence in your tactical ability...
  14. Joined
    31 Oct '05
    Moves
    03 Sep '12 05:13
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    I found playing the 'characters' in Chessmaster 9000 did my game a lot of good. Chessmaster isn't the strongest engine but i found the different playing styles of the fictional characters very useful when i was first learning the game. The only problem with playing an engine on a lower setting is that the engine has no real way of making the mistakes rea ...[text shortened]... e away with very much, it'll just undermine your confidence in your tactical ability...
    Yeah, I guess you're right.
  15. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    03 Sep '12 13:47
    did you tie an 8 game match with a full strength deep fritz running at full capacity?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree