Using multiple engines to analyze your games

Using multiple engines to analyze your games

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

L

Moves
22 Oct 10

ChessBase offers a variety of "modular" chess playing programs (called "engines"😉, but why would you need more than one chess engine? ChessCentral columnist Steve Lopez offers one reason (of many) in this article on the "Compare analysis" feature found in the Fritz and Rybka chess program interfaces.

The chess playing programs offered by ChessBase (Fritz, Rybka, Shredder, and Hiarcs) offer many features to help you improve your own chess play, but few are as (sadly) underutilized as the "Compare analysis" feature. This useful function allows multiple chess programs (called "chess engines"😉 to analyze your chess games...

Read more here:

https://www.chesscentral.com/Articles.asp?ID=461

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
22 Oct 10

Robin Smith wrote a book about using engines for analysis (Modern Chess Analysis?) in which he recommends using at least three engines running at the same time for analysis. I think he was talking about "analysis" in the sense of what ICCF players do to find a move though, rather than post game analysis. Don't do it here or things could get unpleasant!

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
22 Oct 10

While the OP smacks of soliciting, I would say that Robin Smith's (RIP) book is a good read, but a bit outdated. If you are going to be playing ICCF games or are super serious about analyzing your finished games then it behooves you to understand some of the issues that engines have and how each differs causing strengths and weaknesses.

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
22 Oct 10

It was definitely a good read when I found it in the local library a few years back. I suppose I should get myself a copy and read it again.

M
sorozatgyilkos

leölés ellenfeleim

Moves
27 Oct 10

Originally posted by nimzo5
While the OP smacks of soliciting[...]
Quite. OP hasn't moved here ONCE