Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member paultopia
    High Priest
    16 Sep '08 22:31
    This is the first game I ever tried with the pirc... as you can see, I got in trouble early, and only pulled it out when my opponent gave up a bishop, and even then, it took some fancy endgame maneuvering (I'm quite proud of the passive bishop sac offer on move 41) to win

Game 5402375

I realize that I have no idea what black's plan is in the pirc or anything... could anyone enlighten me?
  2. 17 Sep '08 00:02
    Originally posted by paultopia
    This is the first game I ever tried with the pirc... as you can see, I got in trouble early, and only pulled it out when my opponent gave up a bishop, and even then, it took some fancy endgame maneuvering (I'm quite proud of the passive bishop sac offer on move 41) to win

Game 5402375

I realize that I have no idea what black's plan is in the pirc or anything... could anyone enlighten me?
    what's pirc, you mean "prick"?
  3. 17 Sep '08 00:07
    Originally posted by EmLasker
    what's pirc, you mean "prick"?
    We're a classy bunch here at RHP....
  4. 17 Sep '08 00:29
    You should've played 6. ... 0-0, since it would allow the thematic 7. ... e5 in response to 7. ... d5. As you could notice from your game, 7. ... Ne5 leaves black with a rather ugly position.
  5. Standard member paultopia
    High Priest
    17 Sep '08 01:09
    Originally posted by Heroic Metool
    You should've played 6. ... 0-0, since it would allow the thematic 7. ... e5 in response to 7. ... d5. As you could notice from your game, 7. ... Ne5 leaves black with a rather ugly position.
    Oh, slick -- thanks, I hadn't thought of that move at all.
  6. Standard member Chipotle
    Pawn Grubber
    17 Sep '08 02:15
    Originally posted by Heroic Metool
    Another thought is 5. ... Nbd7 rather than Nc6. Playing c5 or c6 to contest the center is an important idea in the Pirc. The knight then supports either ... c5 or ...e5.