1. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 23:24
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    we are in 12th overall....and dont forget we beat you guys 2 times already this year.
    hehe true.

man this thread was short lived... guess i'm not that important 😉.

.. doesn't matter.. a few huge wins in a row (1800's) and i'm back up to 1873 again... maybe this is my true rating.. i wonder if there's another way to find true playing strength other than actually playing 😛.
  2. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 23:28
    try otb ....thats real ratings....rhp is not.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 23:38
    try otb ....thats real ratings....rhp is not.
    i'm from Sudbury, Ontario, Canada... if you can find the nearest rated otb match ring me up 🙁.

Which raises a question... anyone know how I could go about entering a CC tournament that would give me a new Canadian (international?) rating?
  4. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 23:46
    Poor guy.....Toronto too far for a 3 day tourny?
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 23:48
    Poor guy.....Toronto too far for a 3 day tourny?
    well it is until i get my G2... which i suppose means i have to wait till next year.. which is fine because i'll be a CC IM by then right 😉
  6. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 23:54
    .............maybe.

Don't forget i beat you once. ahhahahahaahaaa 😲
  7. Joined
    24 Mar '07
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 00:17
    Originally posted by diskamyl
    this is way off topic, but there's an IM who has learned how the pieces move in 17 and has got the title in 6 years. there you go!
    I think Steinitz learned how to play at 23 and was the best player in the world at 30.
  8. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 00:19
    i started at 25 😞
  9. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 00:21
    i started at 25 😞
    so i guess you're gonna have to wait till ur 32 or 33 until you hit GM status LOSER 😛
  10. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 01:17
    lmao....i'm hoping for 1800 otb
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 01:18
    lmao....i'm hoping for 1800 otb
    yah i kinda figured that out when i read your profile.
  12. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 01:42
    lol....one day....(looks out at the stars)....one day...
  13. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 02:391 edit
    lol....one day....(looks out at the stars)....one day...
    You'll get there faster if you stop playing that 1.g3 crap 🙂

Not that its a bad opening, I just think its a little too flexible for a 1400. That is, you're more likely to get a bad position from something like this without ever knowing its bad, let alone why its bad.

A more classical opening gives you a firmer ground to build on, and you start to pick up on what positions and features of common positions are good for you and how to strive for them. You also learn some thematic tactical themes and sacrifices. All of this knowledge increases your over all chess understanding and translates into rating points.

If you really want to hit 1800 open 1. e4 with the aim of reaching more tactical and classic positions. Pick some gambits to play against at least some of black's more common replies so that you start learning first hand the value of an extra pawn versus more active piece play.
  14. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 03:32
    and as black?
  15. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 05:43
    and as black?
    As black, again, same ideas as with white: classical openings with maybe some gambits thrown in there to mix it up, though if you're playing aggressively with white you can choose more solid openings with black. Against 1. e4 the major classical replies are 1... e5, the French, the Caro, and the Sicilian. Any of those will teach a great deal about classical structures. Same idea against 1. d4 and 1. c4.

I can't pick your repetoire for you, only you can do that, I just think you'll go further faster if you save the hyper-modern stuff for later when you've already gotten a firm grasp of some more classical openings and their corresponding positions.

By the way, I know a lot of lower rated "systems" players who think they've found a great chess short cut by opening with a few moves they can always play from either side. How much of a short cut is it though when 10 moves in you have no idea what kind of position you're in, and after the game's over have no thematic examples, especially ones you can comprehend, to compare the game to see how you went wrong?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree