Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Subscriber Ragwort
    Ex Duris Gloria
    16 Aug '13 12:27 / 3 edits
    Not against a titled player or anything but I rarely get to play such people. This game was played last night in our Club Knock Out Championship. My opponent had just returned from playing in the British Championship (see Fat Lady's thread) where he had scored a creditable 4.5/11. From the heights of sharing a tournament with the best of British he finds himself on a damp thursday evening sitting in opposite me! His current FIDE is 2030 and ECF 187. In terms of ratings it is my best OTB knock-over and the game was exciting too!



    Edits: removing line feeds
  2. 16 Aug '13 12:56 / 1 edit
    Hi Ragwort. Very nice game. You played aggressively and didn't fall into the trap of showing your opponent too much respect, which is what a lot of players do when they are playing someone who outgrades them by a lot.

    Do you play for Aylesbury as well as Milton Keynes?
  3. Subscriber Ragwort
    Ex Duris Gloria
    16 Aug '13 15:23 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    Hi Ragwort. Very nice game. You played aggressively and didn't fall into the trap of showing your opponent too much respect, which is what a lot of players do when they are playing someone who outgrades them by a lot

    Thank you. Would that I could find that level more consistently.

    Do you play for Aylesbury as well as Milton Keynes?

    I was lucky enough to be able to play for both clubs for what amounted to two seasons 2008/2011 when I had the means but my circumstances have changed and I am no longer able to sustain that level of OTB activity. If you have any further "personal identity" questions I think PMs might be a more suitable medium, please.
  4. 16 Aug '13 15:46 / 1 edit
    Good Exciting Game Raggers..

    Fat Lady is right, sometimes the hard bit can be to forget who are you playing
    and put them away.
    All to often I've seen a lower rated player snatching at the draw when they are winning.

    You crossed a huge bridge in you chess development winning that game.

    This kind of thing was lurking. Sometimes the stronger player will
    set you up for a perp chance giving you the chance bail out with ½ point.

  5. Standard member RJHinds
    The Near Genius
    17 Aug '13 05:57 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    Not against a titled player or anything but I rarely get to play such people. This game was played last night in our Club Knock Out Championship. My opponent had just returned from playing in the British Championship (see Fat Lady's thread) where he had scored a creditable 4.5/11. From the heights of sharing a tournament with the best of British he finds him evening out} 1-0

    [/pgn]

    Edits: removing line feeds
    29.Qd3 was the move that should have ended all hope for Black, but you made no comment as if it was just a routine move.

    I agree that 7...d6 should have been played because 7...e5 along with 8...f6 messes up the normal Dragon defense.

    Good game on your part, especially for an OTB game.

    The Instructor
  6. Subscriber Ragwort
    Ex Duris Gloria
    17 Aug '13 07:48
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    29.Qd3 was the move that should have ended all hope for Black, but you made no comment as if it was just a routine move.

    I agree that 7...d6 should have been played because 7...e5 along with 8...f6 messes up the normal Dragon defense.

    Good game on your part, especially for an OTB game.

    The Instructor
    Hi RJ

    What I remember about making that move is that I could see he had a check coming on e2 forking king and rook. I knew I had to find a move that maintained the initiative rather than go into this...



    when everything has gone and is exactly the type of thing that GP and Fat Lady are talking about.

    I remember I had about 11 minutes left to reach the time control we have at move 35 and calming myself to find a better move than the above. I briefly considered Qd5 then Qd3 but saw that his Ne2+ was still possible because of the the protection from the Qh4. I saw that I threatened mate and could then work out the variation after Ne2+.

    I found trying to capture all that in a three line note too difficult and went for the device of suspense because the reader might see it was a mate in one, and the game continuation was the main line. The ifs and buts can follow if anyone showed interest in the post. Annotator's risk I suppose.
  7. 17 Aug '13 10:23
    You could have finished the game quicker if you'd gone for the line you posted:
  8. Subscriber Ragwort
    Ex Duris Gloria
    17 Aug '13 12:10
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    You could have finished the game quicker if you'd gone for the line you posted:
    [pgn]

    1. Rc7 Nc8 2. Nf6 Rf8 3. Rh7#
    *
    [/pgn]
    Are you sure? White to play and mate in four moves. Two keys.



    Your hook mate is a full 7 moves on from the diagram and can be cooked by 4...Nf5 or 5....Nb5 😛
  9. 17 Aug '13 12:29
    Hi Raggers,

    FL was just showing you a plausible possibility in the line you gave
    where you swap the Queens. Always look further where a line stops,
    unless of course it's mate, wee hidden ideas often pop up.
  10. Subscriber moonbus
    Uber-Nerd
    20 Aug '13 21:30
    Originally posted by Ragwort
    [b]Not against a titled player or anything but I rarely get to play such people. This game was played last night in our Club Knock Out Championship....
    Good notes. Thanks.