Welsh Opening?

Welsh Opening?

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

V

Moves
21 Oct 11
1 edit

Having discussed with morgski the lack of a Welsh opening in chess we feel there is a definite call for one to be invented. To which end we submit the following as: The Icelandic gambit - Welsh riposte.

Any faults with this Welsh opening? or does anyone have a better suggested opening to be named the Welsh opening?

m

In attack

Moves
21 Oct 11

Originally posted by VelvetEars
Having discussed with morgski the lack of a Welsh opening in chess we feel there is a definite call for one to be invented. To which end we submit the following as: The Icelandic gambit - Welsh riposte.

[pgn]
1. e4 d5 2. exd5 Ng8f6 3. Ng1f3 e6 {Icelandic Gambit} 4. dxe6 Bc8xe6 5. d4 Qd8e7 6. Nf3e5 {As black can't play f6 easily} Nb8d7 7. f4 {This is t ...[text shortened]... is Welsh opening? or does anyone have a better suggested opening to be named the Welsh opening?
A Welsh opening is needed, we can't have these Scandinavian types getting the monopoly on everything. Does this one make the grade though? My thoughts on VelvetEars's new opening are:

White capitalizes on the weakness of the Icelandic gambit (no central pawns) by building a rugby-like scrum in the centre of the board (a very Welsh thing to do - The d4 and f4 pawns even look like they're lending support to a ruck). The downsides appear to be b4 and f4 potentials of Queen and Bishop (hence why g3 is necessary).
Any thoughts? Any major holes?

D
Up a

gumtree

Moves
21 Oct 11

Any Welsh opening should not involve any moves with "e" in them due to the lack of vowels in Welsh. So no 1. e4 then!

m

In attack

Moves
21 Oct 11

Originally posted by Diophantus
Any Welsh opening should not involve any moves with "e" in them due to the lack of vowels in Welsh. So no 1. e4 then!
What about Araf? Seems to be written on the roads all over Wales and it has got two vowels, that is half the word! I see your point though, but with this idea the e pawn stops being a vowel on move 2, so maybe it is welsh after all...

Dunno, clutching at straws really

V

Moves
21 Oct 11

Originally posted by morgski
What about Araf? Seems to be written on the roads all over Wales and it has got two vowels, that is half the word! I see your point though, but with this idea the e pawn stops being a vowel on move 2, so maybe it is welsh after all...

Dunno, clutching at straws really
What about the Welsh spelling of Cardiff (Caerdydd) there's an e.

I mean, the Welsh are mainly famous for rugby, mining and strange spelling and I'm not sure we can fit all those into an opening...

SPS CLAN

Wales

Moves
21 Oct 11

Come in the wales im abertawe 🙂

d

Moves
22 Oct 11

If a Welsh chess opening is required, surely you have to look no further than the Evans Gambit! It was invented by a Welshman, and after all the Ruy Lopez and the Petroff are now commonly called the Spanish and the Russian, so supplementing a personal name with a national one has sound precedents in chess.

It's a real opening to be proud of, as well. The more I think about it the more impressed I am by the whole idea.

Moves
22 Oct 11

Originally posted by dikankan
If a Welsh chess opening is required, surely you have to look no further than the Evans Gambit! It was invented by a Welshman, and after all the Ruy Lopez and the Petroff are now commonly called the Spanish and the Russian, so supplementing a personal name with a national one has sound precedents in chess.

It's a real opening to be proud of, as well. The more I think about it the more impressed I am by the whole idea.
I second this idea.

And if it can't be the Evans, a Welsh opening should either:
- steal a pawn, or
- have a rabbit in it.

Richard, off stage left being pelted with leeks

New Braunfels, Texas

Moves
22 Oct 11

White will be castling Q-side, since 0-0 looks wide open?

a

Moves
22 Oct 11

Surely the Welsh opening requires some sort of harmony and lots of phlegm......

Blackadder : Have you ever been to Wales Baldrick?
Baldrick : No, but I've often thought I'd like to.
Blackadder : Well don't, it's a ghastly place. Huge gangs of tough sinewy men roam the valleys terrorising people with their close-harmony singing. You need half a pint of phlegm in your throat just to pronounce the placenames. Never ask for directions in Wales Baldrick, you'll be washing spit out of your hair for a fortnight.

V

Moves
22 Oct 11

Originally posted by MontyMoose
White will be castling Q-side, since 0-0 looks wide open?
If black castles queenside to bring his rook down the open e-file then white has to castle kingside and will then try to attack the black king with a bishop on g2 and queen on f3.
Castling kingside isn't too dangerous in the Welsh as long as white fianchettos and holds d4.

Blackadder: Better a lap-dog to a slip of a girl than a ... git!