1. Joined
    20 Apr '06
    Moves
    29 May '06 04:17
    well i suppose it is cheating to have a pocket chess board and start moving peices to study variations you can pursue(no visualization neccasary.).
  2. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    29 May '06 05:48
    To be honest, I hate OTB tournaments. Or the big ones at least. I played 3 or 4 four hour games this year, 2 of them in one tournament, and the other 5 (in the tourny with 2 4 hour games) took 10+ hours combined. The shortest was 2 hours. I have enough stamina built up to play those kinds of games several times in one weekend, but if you're not used to it, it can take a lot out of you.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    29 May '06 11:51
    Originally posted by TheDarkKnight
    well i suppose it is cheating to have a pocket chess board and start moving peices to study variations you can pursue(no visualization neccasary.).
    You suppose correctly, and the USCF rules specifically mention such practices among those deemed unacceptable.
  4. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    29 May '06 17:21
    Originally posted by wormwood
    maybe this article from dan heisman helps:

The Case for Time Management
    http://www.chesscafe.com/text/heisman40.pdf

there was also other novice nook articles on time management
    http://www.chesscafe.com/archives/archives.htm#Novice%20Nook
    Thankyou for posting that --- I've never really considered time important (unless your short of it)

At FICS I rarely play 5 0 blitz games -- its simply too fast and blundersome to be worth anything....

so instead I play standard 15 0

The funny thing is, the majority of games are finished, with 10 or 9 min left on my clock....

so all I'm doing is giving "blitz" a new hat to wear....
  5. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    30 May '06 00:42
    I have blood sugar problems too (diabetic). So i just bring a sandwich and an orange and munch away. I always ask my opponent, "Do you mind if i eat while we play?" They've all said it's ok. As for getting up from the board, i have to or else my rear end becomes numb. I've seen people play without sitting down at all. I saw one guy in different sections running back and forth making his moves, as if he were in a simultaneous. I mean people do have to go to the bathroom. I have the most trouble with people who fidgit--move their legs back and forth for hours or rock the table, or perform other repetitive movements you see in mental institutions. At critical points in the game you will actually see players' hands tremble as they move the pieces. That's why the really good players must have iron nerve. Tournament rooms would be a great arena for personality observation. Chess attracts all kinds, from the most dour, responsible citizens to the clinically insane. Even if you don't play it's fun to watch.
  6. Joined
    20 Apr '06
    Moves
    30 May '06 04:25
    Originally posted by buddy2
    I have blood sugar problems too (diabetic). So i just bring a sandwich and an orange and munch away. I always ask my opponent, "Do you mind if i eat while we play?" They've all said it's ok. As for getting up from the board, i have to or else my rear end becomes numb. I've seen people play without sitting down at all. I saw one guy in different sections ...[text shortened]... sponsible citizens to the clinically insane. Even if you don't play it's fun to watch.
    note to self, try, try, try not to fidget. when do you ask your opponent, is there usually time before the tournament starts? your not aloud to talk once play begins right? or is that incorrect.
  7. back in business
    Moves
    30 May '06 06:53
    note to self, try, try, try not to fidget. when do you ask your opponent, is there usually time before the tournament starts? your not aloud to talk once play begins right? or is that incorrect.
    i would ask right before the game start. or...in fact...I wouldnt even ask as one can eat no matter what opponent says. at least in Finland..
  8. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    30 May '06 12:16
    In Finland everything is permitted.

Yours sincerely, pining for the fjords.

Buddy2
  9. 127.0.0.1
    Moves
    30 May '06 12:55
    Originally posted by buddy2
    I have blood sugar problems too (diabetic). So i just bring a sandwich and an orange and munch away. I always ask my opponent, "Do you mind if i eat while we play?" They've all said it's ok. As for getting up from the board, i have to or else my rear end becomes numb. I've seen people play without sitting down at all. I saw one guy in different sections ...[text shortened]... sponsible citizens to the clinically insane. Even if you don't play it's fun to watch.
    Interesting that you mention this as Ihave had both problems. I am constantly in motion (bouncing one of my legs up and down like a learning musician keeping time... really fast) and I noticed that this seems to be very common among chess players. I also used to tremble when moving pieces; In fact you can barely read some of my oldest trascripts as my hands were shaking so badly. I now pace the room every 5 moves or so which odes a couple of thing: 1. It gets the blood flowing. 2. It takes my mind of the game and gives me a fresh persective on the position. Even though I no longer have the drive to win that I started with, I win more games nowadays (which I attribute it to the pacing).
  10. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    31 May '06 21:02
    Originally posted by zebano
    Interesting that you mention this as Ihave had both problems. I am constantly in motion (bouncing one of my legs up and down like a learning musician keeping time... really fast) and I noticed that this seems to be very common among chess players. I also used to tremble when moving pieces; In fact you can barely read some of my oldest trascripts as my hand ...[text shortened]... rive to win that I started with, I win more games nowadays (which I attribute it to the pacing).
    Canadian Open 2005, June-July
    Edmonton, Alberta

# of players: 225
    Subject in question: Shirov

Observation: Shirov pacing up and down the rows after every move while staring at the ceiling.

That was one funny site.
  11. USA
    Moves
    01 Jun '06 02:33
    Originally posted by prosoccer
    I can't even imagine playing ONE game for 90 minutes. I guess I have been playing too much blitz. Even taking the most time I need I will be WAY under the time limit.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to train yourself to play slower games?
    Well, I used to be like that. How I stopped myslef was by doing a few things

1. Notating even when not required.
    This slowed me down enough to think about the position, slowing me down more

2. Play less than 5 blitz games a month

3.In a heated middle game position, force yourself to look for moves for atleast 5 minutes.

4. Analyzing your games
    You slow down while going over your games, and I think that subconsiously helps you slow down in regular games.
  12. Joined
    19 Mar '05
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 17:24
    Originally posted by GalaxyShield
    To be honest, I hate OTB tournaments. Or the big ones at least. I played 3 or 4 four hour games this year, 2 of them in one tournament, and the other 5 (in the tourny with 2 4 hour games) took 10+ hours combined. The shortest was 2 hours. I have enough stamina built up to play those kinds of games several times in one weekend, but if you're not used to it, it can take a lot out of you.
    I play in OTB tourneys quite regularly. At first it can be quite disconcerting, particularly if your game has gone the distance and a group of people turn up to watch you blitz out the rest of your moves.
    I always enjoy them though, win or lose.

As for the stamina issue raised here, some exercise is beneficial. Very few chess players at local tournaments will be super-fit (that's a euphemism for calling them fat barstewards) but my results improved when I took up running. Training for a 10k or half-marathon can help. Also, stretching your shoulders, circling your neck and general stretch can avoid the dreaded chess neck.

My advice is to check out a tournament near you as you can. Much better than internet chess: I only play on the net 'cause I am out in the sticks and devoid of a local club.
  13. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 19:02
    Originally posted by demonseed
    I play in OTB tourneys quite regularly. At first it can be quite disconcerting, particularly if your game has gone the distance and a group of people turn up to watch you blitz out the rest of your moves.

As for the stamina issue raised here, some exercise is beneficial. Very few chess players at local tournamen ...[text shortened]... ternet chess: I only play on the net 'cause I am out in the sticks and devoid of a local club.
    Excellent advice. I'm one of the fat old guys, and I'm certain that if I walked every day and lifted weights three days per week, I could easily add 100 points to my rating after a few tournaments.
  14. Standard memberGalaxyShield
    Mr. Shield
    Moves
    02 Jun '06 19:14
    Originally posted by demonseed

As for the stamina issue raised here, some exercise is beneficial. Very few chess players at local tournamen ...[text shortened]... ternet chess: I only play on the net 'cause I am out in the sticks and devoid of a local club.
    Yes, I hate it when people hover, especially when they're there to watch the person I'm playing ๐Ÿ˜‰.

It only took about a year to build up my chess stamina (by just playing chess actually). I would walk and jog but I can't right now (don't feel like getting into it). That's one of the reasons I play so much chess ๐Ÿ˜‰. There are a fair amount of tournaments around me, so I get good OTB experience whenever I can.
  15. Seattle
    Moves
    03 Jun '06 00:16
    It really depends on the tournaments. A couple months ago I went to state team championships and a team almost got thrown out. THat being said, when we play in a realitvly casual rated tournaments, the local 1900 and I (1300) often joke around while d quitly discussing obscure lines we could play if we wished. All of this is done behind the TD's back of course. This really bothers some people and if it does we usually stop.
    As far as fidjiting goes.....there is nothing all that wrong with it, but you can see some really funny things. The classic hand shaking comes from the rapid adrenaline high and lows you can go through. often you get chills and your whole body shakes along with it, just enjoy it as the thrill of the hunt๐Ÿ™‚. Some people twirl their pens-pencils and some people tap tables. If it is really really bad or distracting you might (but not likely) could be asked to try and stop.

I once read a funny story how two masters (i forget which ones) were playing and one was twitching, his leg kept hitting the table. After awhile the other guy kicked him in the shin out of irittation. Sence then they started putting dividers between the two....

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree