1. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 01:35
    I know the old books all say "Queen Pawn Game" (at least in the books I've read, all written in English), but I'm sure they must have been more descriptive back then.

Anyone know anything? I'm hoping some of your European friends, especially those for whom English is not their first language, will have something to add here. Thanks ahead of time!
  2. under your bed
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 07:44
    What did Grunfeld call the Grunfeld?
  3. Standard memberpdunne
    Badmaster
    freeshell.de/~dunne
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 08:09
    Originally posted by plopzilla
    I would imagine Meister (or Grossmeister?) Gruenfeld called the Gruenfeld the Gruenfeld. Because that's its name, like.
  4. Standard memberpdunne
    Badmaster
    freeshell.de/~dunne
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 08:14
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I know the old books all say "Queen Pawn Game" (at least in the books I've read, all written in English), but I'm sure they must have been more descriptive back then.

Anyone know anything? I'm hoping some of your European friends, especially those for whom English is not their first language, will have something to add here. Thanks ahead of time!
    I had a look, but it seems to be all plain old "Queen's Pawn Game" (aka Damenbauernspiel). They weren't so into the detailed classification in those days. Dr. Tarrasch called Black's ...c5 line against the Colle "Damengambit im Nachzuge" i.e. Queen's Gambit Declined with colours reversed. Which is just what it is.
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 13:18
    Originally posted by pdunne
    I had a look, but it seems to be all plain old "Queen's Pawn Game" (aka Damenbauernspiel). They weren't so into the detailed classification in those days. Dr. Tarrasch called Black's ...c5 line against the Colle "Damengambit im Nachzuge" i.e. Queen's Gambit Declined with colours reversed. Which is just what it is.
    Damengambit im Nachzuge sounds like an arrangement of classical music!

Up until the early 20th century, it seems that openings were named geographical, based on either the country where is was first recognized as being played, or named for the tournament where it first appeared.

I suspect it was Tartakower who got the ball rolling with his "Catalan" and "Orangutan" appellations.
  6. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 15:58
    Originally posted by plopzilla
    Well, Grunfeld prepared that opening specifically for a certain opponent if I remember correctly... can't seem to remember against whom though.
  7. e4
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 16:081 edit
    ....It was Colle.
  8. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 19:08

I bet his opponents called it, "Christ Ed, not this crap again!"
  9. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 19:49
    ... but I'm sure they must have been more descriptive back then.

Anyone know anything?
    one of the 'damengambit im nachzuge' is called nowadays 'Habichd', 1. d2-d4 Sg8-f6 2. Sg1-f3 c7-c5 3. d4-d5 c5-c4!? .

It was "invented" in 1986 by a German, and is short for 'got you', something like 'gotcha!'. It refers to the white pawn on d5, which is now cut-off from his pawn friends on c and e file... (http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Habichd)

This article also says, it gives a big plus for white, thats why grandmaster never play it. but what do gms now...

ps: in english is called 'hawk', close to the word that sounds almost like 'Habichd': Habicht is a hawk... or something like it.
  10. Joined
    05 Nov '08
    Moves
    04 Oct '11 21:46
    wouldnt he call it "My System" ?
  11. Standard memberpdunne
    Badmaster
    freeshell.de/~dunne
    Moves
    05 Oct '11 05:47
    Originally posted by tharkesh
    [b]one of the 'damengambit im nachzuge' is called nowadays 'Habichd', 1. d2-d4 Sg8-f6 2. Sg1-f3 c7-c5 3. d4-d5 c5-c4!? .
    That's an Indian (or Indisch); not Queen's Gambit reversed.
  12. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    05 Oct '11 15:15
    Damengambit im Nachzuge sounds like an arrangement of classical music!
    There are surprisingly many connections between music, mathematics, programming, and yes, chess.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree