1. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 14:57
    What is gameknot? Is it good? How is it compared to rhp?
  2. back in business
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 14:58
    naah.
  3. Standard memberivan2908
    SelfProclaimedTitler
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 15:072 edits
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    naah.
    baah, but I still do not know anything about it
  4. Joined
    03 Jan '07
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 15:211 edit
    google is your friend. I don't think it would be proper to discuss that evil man here. 🙂
  5. Joined
    29 Jul '01
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 15:22
    About every chess site I have played in has something good about it. Gameknot is no different then any other. It has some good things about it. Gameknot is no better or worse then any other chess site.
  6. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 15:48
    I played at Gameknot for a short while before coming here.

My intention was to play a few games for free and then subscribe if I enjoyed it. Within less than a week I received a message from the site administrator, it said something along the lines of:

Your security software is blocking our adverts. You have two choices:
    1. Turn off your security software
    2. Buy a subscription

There was a bit more padding to it than that but it came across as pushy and demanding, given how soon it arrived, so I chose option 3 - Leave.

Great customer service guys.
  7. Joined
    28 Nov '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 16:10
    I've never played there, and this is second-hand information, but I've heard that you get more serious chess players here. Most of the people that play there seem to be recreational at best. MSN Chess is similar to this. Ridiculous rating system, for one.
  8. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 16:25
    Originally posted by AlphaAlekhine
    I've never played there, and this is second-hand information, but I've heard that you get more serious chess players here. Most of the people that play there seem to be recreational at best. MSN Chess is similar to this. Ridiculous rating system, for one.
    I don't really think that's the case I have played there just over a year and subscibed for a year too, they have plenty highly ranked players and although I only got up to about 1850 there before crashing my rating and started to play with more of an otb style I would say there wasn't a HUGE difference in the ratings between the sites, it's very difficult to compare though because ratings are unique to the site. Maybe other players have established ratings on both sites could comment on this.
  9. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 16:29
    It's an ok site but it's organised badly (IMO) and the chess pieces you have to use SUCK!
  10. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 16:33
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    It's an ok site but it's organised badly (IMO) and the chess pieces you have to use SUCK!
    I much prefer the RHP software, the forums there are nowhere near as good as RHP's, IMO the only thing in it's favour over RHP is the holiday postponement facility, but as we aren't going on foreign holidays for the forseeable future that isn't going to be a factor to me anymore in any case.
  11. Joined
    16 Oct '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 16:42
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    I much prefer the RHP software, the forums there are nowhere near as good as RHP's, IMO the only thing in it's favour over RHP is the holiday postponement facility, but as we aren't going on foreign holidays for the forseeable future that isn't going to be a factor to me anymore in any case.
    Thread 59604

You may be interested in the post from Russ here.
  12. Standard memberJDK2
    Trainee Party Animal
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 16:44
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    I don't really think that's the case I have played there just over a year and subscibed for a year too, they have plenty highly ranked players and although I only got up to about 1850 there before crashing my rating and started to play with more of an otb style I would say there wasn't a HUGE difference in the ratings between the sites, it's very difficult ...[text shortened]... the site. Maybe other players have established ratings on both sites could comment on this.
    Just my opinion, here is some pluses and minus (from my point of view) :

Players wise, it is about the same as here. You won't find much difference. The same for ratings, and that is all relative.

RHP Plus :- Russ and Co are very good at listening to the people here and hence RHP is constantly evolving. This in my mind is a big plus point.
    RHP Plus :- Freedom of Speech which the forums allow. User participation is high.
    RHP Plus :- You can send an in-game message and move at the same time. On GK you have to write the message, hit submit, move, then hit submit!
    RHP Plus :- The clans here rock. Way more friendly

GK Plus :- You can download ALL your games in handy PGN format. This is absolutely crucial if you want to have your entire database in a single. For me it is the single most important thing lacking from RHP.
    GK Plus :- And this is a personal one as James has pointed out..The boards look better.
    GK Plus :- You can create your own tournaments, thematics etc, with your own timeframes etc

For me, GK is more condusive to serious play and RHP more to fun play.

I am sure you will get differing opinions. I would suggest subscribing to both as they are not expensive for what you get.
  13. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 16:47
    Originally posted by Ian68
    Thread 59604

You may be interested in the post from Russ here.
    Does that mean hopscotch will now be leaving then (as he was advising you to do rather than canvas for the holiday postponement)?
  14. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 16:49
    Originally posted by JDK2
    Just my opinion, here is some pluses and minus (from my point of view) :

Players wise, it is about the same as here. You won't find much difference. The same for ratings, and that is all relative.

RHP Plus :- Russ and Co are very good at listening to the people here and hence RHP is constantly evolving. This in my mind is a big plus point.
    RHP Plus :- Fr ...[text shortened]... ering opinions. I would suggest subscribing to both as they are not expensive for what you get.
    Yeah I tend to agree with except that I prefer the boards/software here (but as you say that's very subjective). I forgot about the torny set up, yes that's a huge plus
  15. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    09 Jan '07 18:241 edit
    Originally posted by ivan2908
    What is gameknot? Is it good? How is it compared to rhp?
    GameKnot is a good quality site that is vastly overpriced. Its other major weaknesses are the ads (rarely chess related, and almost impossible not to block unless you have zero protection), and the heavy hand of the administrator when ad blocking is detected, or with respect to other matters. If you buy a membership the ads go away, of course.

Their forums are hard to locate (except with google, which keeps the site in business).

I offer in-depth reviews and comparisons of several sites, including GK and RHP at http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/wulebgr/corr.htm

also http://www.angelfire.com/poetry/wulebgr/comp.htm

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree