1. Joined
    24 Sep '06
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 23:24
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    THE HIPPOPOTAMUS!! IS GOING FOR THE NUMBER 1 SPOT BABY!!!

WOO WOO!! FREIGHT TRAIN BABY!!

I dont understand.
  2. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 23:261 edit
    it is hugely defensive and it cannot be refuted.

it leads to closed positions and it can be played against all openings.

If you are not a good player you will get crushed playing this as white or black...so be carefull
  3. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 23:47
    Somebody played this against me OTB a couple of nights ago.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as ChessIsVanity but I must confess it's trickier to play again than it might look at first sight.

I know Luke McShane used to play this a lot a few years back.
  4. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    07 Dec '07 23:501 edit
    The guy played what? 4 games with it....its amazing how a GM can play a new line a few times and everyone says he is an expert...

no offense to the guy ^above^....but i see this in books all the time.

Take "Larsens opening"....Larsen played it what? 30 games?....he was a 1.c4 type of player...... anyways....
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 00:22
    Originally posted by nihilismor
    [b]THE HIPPOPOTAMUS!! IS GOING FOR THE NUMBER 1 SPOT BABY!!!

[fen]r2qk2r/1bpnnpb1/pp1pp1pp/8/8/PP1PP1PP/1BPNNPB1/R2QK2R w KQkq - 0 11[/fen]

I dont understand.[/b]
    An amateur under the pen-name "Pafu" wrote a book called "The Beginner's Game" in which he advocates the above setup for both White and Black.

You can view the first five chapters of the book for free at http://www.beginnersgame.com
  6. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 00:45
    THE HIPPOPOTAMUS LIVES!!

ALL HAIL ME!!!

Clan 24911
  7. Joined
    22 Sep '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 01:46
    The guy played what? 4 games with it....its amazing how a GM can play a new line a few times and everyone says he is an expert...

Take "Larsens opening"....Larsen played it what? 30 games?....he was a 1.c4 type of player...... anyways....
    Perhaps they mean't he was an expert because he had a better understanding of it. Not because he had played many games with it.
  8. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 07:501 edit
    I think my opponent was trying to set it up in this game and still is trying to set his position similar but he is losing

Game 4358243

no comments as it is still in progress
  9. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 08:091 edit
    It's reasonably good in blitz because you can play pre-defined moves & often white (or indeed black) wastes time trying to find a weakness.

I've also played against it & the best answer seems to be to blow-open the center fairly early on, after some routine development. Decisive play is needed against it though because otherwise you can just get swamped by the pawn-pushes.

Game 2795950
  10. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 10:252 edits

None taken ... because I never said he was an expert but just that he used to play the line often.

My impression was that he played it more than infrequently. I've personally seem him play it twice so I imagine it he punted the system more often that you indicate.

Does that make him an expert? Not necessarily but he is, I suggest, the highest rated player of recent years, probably ever, to rely on the Hippo regularly - and that's worthy of mention I think. Especially of a rarely played opening.

And yes, a GM playing a line just a handful of times probably does give him/her a greater understading of it than you or I.
  11. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    08 Dec '07 10:271 edit
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    It's reasonably good in blitz because you can play pre-defined moves & often white (or indeed black) wastes time trying to find a weakness.

I've also played against it & the best answer seems to be to blow-open the center fairly early on, after some routine development. Decisive play is needed against it though because otherwise you can just get swamped by the pawn-pushes.

Game 2795950
    Timing the central break can be tricky I think. If you mishandle it and allow Black to close things down you can run into trouble.

I agree with you about the need for decisiveness. Assuming you're just going to be better because Black has sat back is the road to ruin.

PS:-
    not a Hippo but an example of a lot of pawn moves proving effective...
    http://streathambrixtonchess.blogspot.com/2007/12/rope-dope.html
  12. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 10:24
    I spotted this Hippo game in the news today (from the Commonwealth Championship being played in India).

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/arts/main.jhtml?xml=/arts/2007/12/11/result071211.xml
  13. Big D
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 16:22
    Originally posted by nihilismor
    [b]THE HIPPOPOTAMUS!! IS GOING FOR THE NUMBER 1 SPOT BABY!!!

[fen]r2qk2r/1bpnnpb1/pp1pp1pp/8/8/PP1PP1PP/1BPNNPB1/R2QK2R w KQkq - 0 11[/fen]

I dont understand.[/b]
    White is winning since it is his move and Black will have to break the symmetry.
  14. Joined
    19 Feb '05
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 20:25
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    You can view the first five chapters of the book for free at http://www.beginnersgame.com[/b]
    Lol, that site gave me some good laughs.
  15. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Dec '07 20:28
    Originally posted by der schwarze Ritter
    White is winning since it is his move and Black will have to break the symmetry.
    if white has the move...wouldn't he have to break symmetry?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree