1. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 17:16
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain
    Thanks 🙂 and actually I couldn't, because if I went for it at that point, then:

21. a3 Bxd2

...and I couldn't recapture with rook, cos that would bring Re1 mate! 😲 so g3 was a safety precaution in case he decided to take my Knight 🙂
    Ah yes! Good point 🙂
  2. Standard memberhunterknox
    Hopeless romantic
    The sticks
    Moves
    27 Oct '12 18:01
    Originally posted by SwissGambit
    I looked through mine and I don't have very many good games (😲) but I did find this...
    One of the things I've noticed about stronger players is that they'll often hold off on captures or tactics while improving the surrounding pieces. This is a nice case in point. Good game.
  3. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 01:321 edit
    Originally posted by hunterknox
    ...they'll often hold off on captures or tactics while improving the surrounding pieces...
    Yes, I've noticed that too. Thumbs up.

I have this mantra in my head after reading some GM: "If you take, it's a mistake". The two-fold reasoning being that you capturing an enemy piece might allow your opponent to develop another of his pieces via recapture (your developed piece and the enemy's counterpart have disappeared only to be replaced by an enemy developed piece 😳 ) and the classic advice, "the threat is stronger than the execution" (will your opponent make mistakes under pressure?).

Of course at some point you have to collect your just rewards, but those people who know what they are doing have patience.
  4. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 02:165 edits
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Yes, thumbs up.

I have this mantra in my head after reading some GM: "If you take, it's a mistake". The two-fold reasoning being that you capturing an enemy piece might allow your opponent to develop another of his pieces via recapture (your developed piece and the enemy's counterpart have disappeared only to be replaced by an enemy developed piece 😳 to collect your just rewards, but those people who know what they are doing have patience.

(White has just played fxg6)

Lets look at it. 🙂

If white played fxg6 what happens?

Pro's

1. He wins a piece (obviously). So that's definitely a plus.
    2. The f- file is opened, giving the Queen on f2 more scope.
    3. When black recaptures, he will have a doubled pawn.

Con's

1. White loses control of e6 and g6.
    2. f5 is no longer blocked by a pawn, so potentially something else can occupy that square. Not necessarily a problem, but worth taking note of.
    3. After the capture on g7 the black Queen has horizontal movement.
    4. Black can recapture with the f-pawn, opening the f file in his favour. Very dangerous for white.
    5. With an open f-file, black can play Nf4 as the Rf8 and Qe5 are both covering that square.

What does this look like?

Black is a piece down, but he has counter play down the f-file.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what about the move that was played?

(White has just played g4)

Pro's

1. Another piece is attacked, the knight on h5 has to move.
    2. The pawn on f5 is properly defended again.
    3. When the knight moves, it only has one safe square (f6) and therefore the pawn can continue on to g5 at some point, potentially opening up lines to the black King.
    4. If black plays ..Nf6, then white develops his bishop with a tempo, Bf4.

All very promising.

Con's

1. f3/f4 and h3/h4 can no longer be defended by pawns.
    2. After ..Nf6, the black knight is better placed and combine with the Queen to attack e4. It's not an immediate threat, but after a rook comes to e8 it is, therefore black wins a tempo by playing his rook to the centre. But is this a threat?

(Copied in here from below for clarity...)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All things considered, i think it's definitely better for white to delay capture. The Bishop isn't going anywhere. Maintaining a pawn on f5 as opposed to allowing the opening of the f file helps white a lot more then the immediate capture. Black has to find activity on his move. After fxBg6 fxg6, the black rook is involved and black can still dream of generating threats down this now open file.
  5. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 02:52
    Originally posted by Marinkatomb
    [fen]r4rk1/p1p2ppp/3p2P1/2p1q2n/4P3/2N4P/PPP2QP1/R1B1R1K1 b - - 0 18[/fen]
    (White has just played fxg6)

Lets look at it. 🙂

If white played fxg6 what happens?

Pro's

1. He wins a piece (obviously). So that's definitely a plus.
    2. The f- file is opened, giving the Queen on f2 more scope.
    3. When black recaptures, he will have a doubled pawn ...[text shortened]... ook is involved and black can still dream of generating threats down this now open file.

Now I can finish development with Bf4 before grabbing the Bishop.
  6. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 02:541 edit
    [fen]r4rk1/p1p2ppp/3p1nb1/2p1qP2/4P1P1/2N4P/PPP2Q2/R1B1R1K1 w - - 0 18[/fen]

Now I can finish development with Bf4 before grabbing the Bishop.
    How do i post a pgn from a fen position? I've spent the last half an hour trying to find the code but the FAQ is still out of date (all these years later, it's STILL not listed!)

EDIT: Yes agreed, that's what i'm trying to post.

1.Nf6 2.Bf4 Qe7 {If Qe8 then after Nd5, Nxc7 will become a threat} 3.Nd5 { Black doesn't have time to capture on e4 because his Queen is attacked and the capture comes with check... }
  7. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 03:04
    How do i post a pgn from a fen position? I've spent the last half an hour trying to find the code but the FAQ is still out of date (all these years later, it's STILL not listed!)

EDIT: Yes agreed, that's what i'm trying to post.

1.Nf6 2.Bf4 Qe7 {If Qe8 then after Nd5, Nxc7 will become a threat} 3.Nd5 { Black doesn't have time to capture on e4 because his Queen is attacked and the capture comes with check... }
    To change the PGN start position, add a FEN field.

[ pgn ]
    [FEN "r4rk1/p1p2ppp/3p2b1/2p1qP1n/4P1P1/2N4P/PPP2Q2/R1B1R1K1 b - - 0 18"]
    19...Nf6 20.Bf4 Qe7 { If Qe8 then after Nd5, Nxc7 will become a threat} 21.Nd5 { Black doesn't have time to capture on e4 because his Queen is attacked and the capture comes with check... }
    [ /pgn ]

8. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 03:061 edit
    To change the PGN start position, add a FEN field.

[ pgn ]
    [FEN "r4rk1/p1p2ppp/3p2b1/2p1qP1n/4P1P1/2N4P/PPP2Q2/R1B1R1K1 b - - 0 18"]
    19...Nf6 20.Bf4 Qe7 { If Qe8 then after Nd5, Nxc7 will become a threat} 21.Nd5 { Black doesn't have time to capture on e4 because his Queen is attacked and the capture comes with check... }
    [ /pgn ]

[pgn]
    [FEN "r4 capture on e4 because his Queen is attacked and the capture comes with check... }
    [/pgn]
    Aha! Thanks 🙂

EDIT: Great game btw 🙂
  9. Standard memberSwissGambit
    Caninus Interruptus
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 04:04
    Aha! Thanks 🙂

Thanks! I'm glad everyone enjoyed it.
  10. Joined
    02 Dec '09
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 04:34
    I quite enjoyed this tactical struggle against a 2000ish player. It really helped me discover some weaknesses in my calculation abilities.

luke myster - funkydunky71

11. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 04:522 edits
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Yes, I've noticed that too. Thumbs up.

I have this mantra in my head after reading some GM: "If you take, it's a mistake". The two-fold reasoning being that you capturing an enemy piece might allow your opponent to develop another of his pieces via recapture (your developed piece and the enemy's counterpart have disappeared only to be replaced by an en o collect your just rewards, but those people who know what they are doing have patience.
    I saw a video with the same mantra, now I forgot where it was.
    Who was the GM?? I used this the last outing with my friend. I had at least interesting blitz games and I won the one 30 min timed game.

Ah, Igor Smirnov
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EmJcUI_wSy8
  12. Joined
    28 Dec '11
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 10:12
    my opponent was making fun of my king and thought i was going to be an easy win i won sweet victory me black 1100 vs 1550

13. Standard membercadwah
    ¯\_(^.^)_/¯
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 11:33
    This has to be the hardest question in chessdom. I cannot choose, there are too many variables to quantify.

Ok, I'm going for this little beauty back from 2006 when I was rated a whopping 1243.

14. Standard memberhunterknox
    Hopeless romantic
    The sticks
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 13:00
    Aha! Thanks 🙂

Yeah, thanks to both for the annotations. Very instructive.
  15. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    28 Oct '12 18:35
    Originally posted by luke myster
    I quite enjoyed this tactical struggle against a 2000ish player. It really helped me discover some weaknesses in my calculation abilities.

luke myster - funkydunky71

[pgn][Event "2012 Championship"]
    [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"]
    [Date "2012.06.28"]
    [EndDate "2012.10.21"]
    [Round "2"]
    [White "luke myster"]
    [Black "funkydunky71"]
    [WhiteR ...[text shortened]... c1xf1 35. Kg1xf1 f4 36. gxf4 Qg5h4 37. Qe3g3 Be6h3 38. Kf1g1 1-0[/pgn]
    Good game! Tough opponent in this one. Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't 20.f5 win blacks bishop?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree