1. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 21:59
    Originally posted by powershaker
    Yeah, his rating is definitely not strong enough to be considered a 1200 player's mentor. HAHA Now, if he were say A-Class player rating or better, I'd say then start training 1200 players.
    Funny enough in this thread Thread 34647 you ,rated about 1500, were offering yourself as a mentor to a 1200 player.
  2. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 22:052 edits
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Funny enough in this thread Thread 34647 you ,rated about 1500, were offering yourself as a mentor to a 1200 player.
    That's because I know how to get better, and I have the materials with me. The guy asked a question and I gave him an answer. Sure, I could show him how to get stronger. That's not being a mentor. That's being helpful. And, I was partly joking in that thread. Of course, I shouldn't even respond to such an imbecile as yourself Ravello. You're a nobody. And, by the way, I am actually a 1700+ player. I just play very fast on here and not seriously, Ravello, whereas your rating on here is your actual strength - sad.
  3. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 22:08
    Truth hurts uh?
  4. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 22:12
    That's because I know how to get better, and I have the materials with me. The guy asked a question and I gave him an answer. Sure, I could show him how to get stronger. That's not being a mentor. That's being helpful. And, I was partly joking in that thread. Of course, I shouldn't even respond to such an imbecile as yourself Ravello. You're ...[text shortened]... t on here and not seriously, Ravello, whereas your rating on here is your actual strength - sad.
    Ravello also plays very fast, to the detriment of his rating.
  5. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 22:17
    Originally posted by Ravello
    Truth hurts uh?
    Read again the last post, Ravello. You take things too seriously on here.
  6. Hinesville, GA
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 22:17
    Originally posted by dottewell
    Ravello also plays very fast, to the detriment of his rating.
    uh huh. I see. hehe
  7. Standard memberRavello
    The Rude©
    who knows?
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 22:25
    Read again the last post, Ravello. You take things too seriously on here.
    Strange,I was under the impression that it was YOU who took my post really seriously and started insulting because of my rating, how strange....
  8. Joined
    12 Jun '05
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 22:37
    uh huh. I see. hehe
    It's a good job you are a brilliant chess player, because as a comedian you suck.
  9. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    22 Dec '05 23:58
    Lower rated players generally have "loose" positions. That is, the pieces are not coordinated. They don't protect each other and are easily picked off by a double attack, etc. On the board, the other mistake is to make a pawn move that results in a weak pawn structure, like backward pawns or isolated. Then the superior player just piles on the weakness. Mentally, I'd say, a weak player is wrapped up in their own plans and don't even consider what could happen to them. I have 3 steps: 1 what can he do to me 2. what can i do to him 3. after i make my move what can he do to me. If these 3 steps are followed religiously in each game, for every move, there's very little likelihood of committing a major blunder. That is not to say he'll win every game. A really highly rated player might win on a more subtle error. Nothing's 100%.
  10. girls imaginations
    Moves
    23 Dec '05 05:42
    Originally posted by parker02
    There seems to be at least 1 opening for black in which the queen is used very early. And I know a couple of games in which an early queen really messed up my defenses.
    For newbies like me, an early queen can be quite dangerous.
    the queen is involved in almost every quick mate move, such as fools and scholars mate, both below 5 moves
  11. Joined
    16 Oct '05
    Moves
    23 Dec '05 08:40
    Originally posted by trallphaz
    the queen is involved in almost every quick mate move, such as fools and scholars mate, both below 5 moves
    I was referring to the Scotch game, pulling counter attack (black). There's also something called the center game in which the white queen takes the pawn.

Whether can be used in traps, I don't know, and whether they are good openings, I don't know either. I was just as surprised as you are to see things like that, but they seem to be viable, "normal" openings.
  12. Standard membermenace71
    Can't win a game of
    38N Lat X 121W Lon
    Moves
    27 Dec '05 09:47
    LOL I'm a sub 1200 player & all those mistakes I make. I think it was good to read this thread. I have a bad habit of moving queen way to early. I get caught in forks alot. When I slow down and look at the board I do play better. Analyze the board. I think my biggest mistake is moving way too fast. The elementry attack where I know the other person sees it coming and can get out of it. My goal right now LOL is to get to 1000 try to stay there. Good thread.
    Manny
  13. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    27 Dec '05 22:48
    Originally posted by zebano
    Dropping pieces is the mistake which usually sinks the ship.
    Heck, I am over 1400 and dropping pieces is still what kills most of my games, it doesn't just affect sub 1200 players. I have been told that I seem to have a better grasp of tactics, positional play, and openings than many people with a similair rating, just a proclivity for killing myself with a stupid move or two that are worse than the stupid move of the opponent. And I'm not being egocentric here and making excuses, this is what a 1900 player told me once.
  14. Subscriberinvigorate
    Only 1 F in Uckfield
    Buxted UK
    Moves
    27 Dec '05 23:12
    The biggest mistakes I make are:
    Playing too many games and playing too fast.
    Playing whilst drunk and very tired.
    Not understanding or recognising strong basic structures.

However I'm guessing that most 1200 players like myself would still be 1200 players OTB unlike many higher rated players.
  15. São Paulo, Brazil
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 23:20
    I'd say dropping pieces is the most common mistake.

By the way, forgive my newbish question: What is OTB?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree